Meal Etiquette Q.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Meal Etiquette Q.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:38 am

These may be silly questions, but got a meal interview coming up:

Where does one leave their portfolio (leather thing with resumes) during the meal?

If a meal ends the interview, should I expect to part company at the restaurant, or go back to their office?

Thanks for your help!

lisavj

Re: Meal Etiquette Q.

Postby lisavj » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:40 am

I've either put my things under my seat at the restaurant, or been asked if I want to leave things in someone's office (generally the person who screened me offered).

I've done four lunches so far and each time we have gone back to the office after. Often the recruiting manager will check in with you, give you a timeline, etc...

Good luck!

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:45 am

I've returned to the office about half the time, and parted company at the restaurant the other half. I would bring your portfolio unless you know you will be returning to the office. You can just put it in an empty chair or under your seat (just don't forget it!).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks for the replies. Any other suggestions for a meal interview v. a regular interview?

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:11 am

It's a chance to show who you are relaxed, remembering that you are still being interviewed. It's also a chance for you to see what conversations occur at the firm. I like to be quiet at first to see how the associates interact and then join the banter.

One tip I've appreciated, try to order last or second to last so you can pick in the same price range. This is easy if you have been answering questions and haven't had a chance to look at the menu!! I also avoid truly messy foods.

Return to “Legal Employment”