Debavoise/Gibson/Latham

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Choose 1 and explain:

Debavoise
43%
Gibson
23%
Latham
33%

Total votes: 30

Anonymous User

Debavoise/Gibson/Latham

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:35 pm

NYC and corporate practice interest. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Debavoise/Gibson/Latham

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:02 am

Anyone willing to share reasons? Looks like Debavoise is getting a lot of love.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:57 am

Just FYI, it is spelled Debevoise. It would probably be best if you spelled it correctly when you correspond with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:27 am

Noted. It was simply a typo. Not going to change though because the poll would reset.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 am

Are people put off by Latham's "fratty" culture? Gibson's free market system? Or is Debevoise really the best corporate firm among these? For what it's worth, M&A, PE, and Banking/Finance all interest me to a certain extent.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Noted. It was simply a typo. Not going to change though because the poll would reset.

I only noted it because it was simply a typo that you made three times.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:34 am

fair enough.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:54 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Noted. It was simply a typo. Not going to change though because the poll would reset.

:roll:

More to topic: Debevoise >>> Gibson for corporate, and firm is more stable than Latham.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

More to topic: Debevoise >>> Gibson for corporate, and firm is more stable than Latham.

Setting aside conventional wisdom, I'm not sure I agree with the above (and I'm not sure why Deb gets so much love on these boards). Debevoise has a bit of a weird corporate practice (really much more on the fund formation side than the LBO PE side, and a miniscule (relatively) cap markets/banking practice). And while they were much less public about it, I do know a few folks who got axed there.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:29 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

Setting aside conventional wisdom, I'm not sure I agree with the above (and I'm not sure why Deb gets so much love on these boards). Debevoise has a bit of a weird corporate practice (really much more on the fund formation side than the LBO PE side, and a miniscule (relatively) cap markets/banking practice). And while they were much less public about it, I do know a few folks who got axed there.

Completely agreed, but I think GDC gets more love here for some reason. None of these firms are paragons of stability (though what firm is?), but I'd rather be at Debevoise than
Latham because of stability, and at Debevoise over GDC because I think their corporate practice is better, even if somewhat more niche.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:30 am

itbdvorm: Who did you vote for and why? Was it based on prestige, quality of work, etc.? Thanks.

Fresh Prince: Why do you say Latham is unstable? Is it only because of their past? Their class sizes for the NY have been more conservative recently.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:itbdvorm: Who did you vote for and why? Was it based on prestige, quality of work, etc.? Thanks.

Fresh Prince: Why do you say Latham is unstable? Is it only because of their past? Their class sizes for the NY have been more conservative recently.

I voted for Latham. I frankly think that they have the best NY corporate group of the three, and I think concerns about their stability are way overblown

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:55 pm

Bump. For more votes / reasons for votes. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:03 pm

Debevoise and Latham's corporate groups are probably a (noticeable, but not very large) step above Gibson's in New York. I don't really there's a difference in "strength" between Debevoise and Latham (also, they do very similar work in similar practice areas).

There's a fairly significant cultural difference between Latham and Debevoise - did you have a strong reaction one way or the other? Latham is traditionally more social / outgoing / entrepreneurial / competitive (though not as much as some places), whereas Debevoise is more familial, polite, conservative (culturally) and nurturing. I can say firsthand the latter stereotype is true, though I don't have any firsthand experience with Latham outside the interview process.

FWIW, in this situation two years ago (with a couple others in the mix as well), I took Debevoise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Didn't Latham NY no-offer some summers this year?

fish52

Postby fish52 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Completely agreed, but I think GDC gets more love here for some reason. None of these firms are paragons of stability (though what firm is?), but I'd rather be at Debevoise than
Latham because of stability, and at Debevoise over GDC because I think their corporate practice is better, even if somewhat more niche.

Hasn't Gibson had like 19 straight years of profit or something like that?

snailio

Postby snailio » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:38 pm

fish52 wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Completely agreed, but I think GDC gets more love here for some reason. None of these firms are paragons of stability (though what firm is?), but I'd rather be at Debevoise than

and no debt

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 am

Last bump.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:13 pm

snailio wrote:
fish52 wrote:

and no debt

Huh? Every firm in this thread has had at least that many years of profit. You know why? Because their PPP is greater than $1.

And I hate this "no debt" BS. Just because WLRK has debt, does that mean they're less stable? Lots of firms carry debt (and I'm sure GDC does too; they're probably just characterizing it differently). You need debt to pay your salaries, to pay the lease, as well as a ton of other expenses. That's just how businesses work.

Anyways, above isn't meant to trash on GDC. It's just meant to say that pretty much every firm (except two or three) in the V100 had laid off lawyers. that's why none of the firms in this thread are paragons of stability.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Only one of these firms, Latham, is also a verb for first year associate layoffs. While other firms did lay off associates, Latham went after the first years, which is especially brutal.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:52 pm

ain't that the truth. That's why I picked Debevoise.

snailio

Postby snailio » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:47 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
snailio wrote:
fish52 wrote:

and no debt

Huh? Every firm in this thread has had at least that many years of profit. You know why? Because their PPP is greater than $1.

And I hate this "no debt" BS. Just because WLRK has debt, does that mean they're less stable? Lots of firms carry debt (and I'm sure GDC does too; they're probably just characterizing it differently). You need debt to pay your salaries, to pay the lease, as well as a ton of other expenses. That's just how businesses work.

Anyways, above isn't meant to trash on GDC. It's just meant to say that pretty much every firm (except two or three) in the V100 had laid off lawyers. that's why none of the firms in this thread are paragons of stability.

Maybe you just have a reading comprehension problem, Gibson has NO debt....How you run your business is up to you.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:05 am

Maybe you just have a reading comprehension problem, Gibson has NO debt....How you run your business is up to you.

Maybe you're just retarded. Every firm has a revolving credit facility that they use. That's debt.

Maybe GDC doesn't have long term debt, which is fine. but a lot of peer and better firms don't have that kind of debt either...

Return to “Legal Employment”