3L OCI and Mid-Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:30 pm

If you have a mid-law SA, go to T-14, and have decent 2L grades, do you have a reasonable shot at a 3L OCI Vault job? What about 3L mass-mailing?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:02 am

bump - interested in this as well.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:bump - interested in this as well.

Just bump your thread. Don't pretend to be multiple users.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:06 pm

anyone?

KamaalTheAbstract
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:22 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:bump - interested in this as well.

Just bump your thread. Don't pretend to be multiple users.


Haha

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump - interested in this as well.


Bump--me too. Thanks for starting this thread OP

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you have a mid-law SA, go to T-14, and have decent 2L grades, do you have a reasonable shot at a 3L OCI Vault job? What about 3L mass-mailing?


No, I don't know of anyone from my class who jumped into the Vault range from mid-law firms. It was all lateral movement in the same brackets (V25 to V25, etc).

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7117
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby los blancos » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:03 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you have a mid-law SA, go to T-14, and have decent 2L grades, do you have a reasonable shot at a 3L OCI Vault job? What about 3L mass-mailing?


No, I don't know of anyone from my class who jumped into the Vault range from mid-law firms. It was all lateral movement in the same brackets (V25 to V25, etc).



Aren't midlaw gigs often tougher to get than V50s?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby IAFG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:04 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you have a mid-law SA, go to T-14, and have decent 2L grades, do you have a reasonable shot at a 3L OCI Vault job? What about 3L mass-mailing?


No, I don't know of anyone from my class who jumped into the Vault range from mid-law firms. It was all lateral movement in the same brackets (V25 to V25, etc).

How many people do you know who it switched up? I only know three: V5 to boutique and two to different offices of the same firm. Those were all c/o 2012.

User avatar
OneMoreLawHopeful
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:12 pm

How are you defining "mid law"?

I know people who went from outside the vault range to inside the vault range (one went all the way to V10), but they were all at firms that ranked in the second half of the AmLaw 200.

So, are you defining firms like Fox Rothschild or Sedgwick as "midlaw"? If so, then your answer is "yes" it is possible.

However, it's also hard to see that a firm with ~400 attorneys and 9+ offices is really "midlaw" by most definitions.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:18 pm

IAFG wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you have a mid-law SA, go to T-14, and have decent 2L grades, do you have a reasonable shot at a 3L OCI Vault job? What about 3L mass-mailing?


No, I don't know of anyone from my class who jumped into the Vault range from mid-law firms. It was all lateral movement in the same brackets (V25 to V25, etc).

How many people do you know who it switched up? I only know three: V5 to boutique and two to different offices of the same firm. Those were all c/o 2012.


I know of one who moved from a V25 to V10, two from a NLJ350s who were unsuccessful in switching up to V100 despite incredible grades, one from a V100 who failed in switching to any firm in another market, two others who tried to switch up from non-NLJ350s to NLJ350s and were unsuccessful and I believe one other person who switched between V100s.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:19 pm

I would say 100-200 lawyers in a secondary market. I'll throw out a few names: Harter Secrest, Bond Schoenick, Obermayer Rebbman, Richards Layton, Cole Schotz (not too sure about the size of the last one).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 pm

On a related note, how likely to switch at 3L OCI into ANY NYC office, assuming your 2L SA does not have one?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby IAFG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:36 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
I know of one who moved from a V25 to V10, two from a NLJ350s who were unsuccessful in switching up to V100 despite incredible grades, one from a V100 who failed in switching to any firm in another market, two others who tried to switch up from non-NLJ350s to NLJ350s and were unsuccessful and I believe one other person who switched between V100s.

Thanks for the anecdotes. I wasn't really sure how things are out there for people with offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:58 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:How are you defining "mid law"?

I know people who went from outside the vault range to inside the vault range (one went all the way to V10), but they were all at firms that ranked in the second half of the AmLaw 200.

So, are you defining firms like Fox Rothschild or Sedgwick as "midlaw"? If so, then your answer is "yes" it is possible.

However, it's also hard to see that a firm with ~400 attorneys and 9+ offices is really "midlaw" by most definitions.


How good is your school's 3L OCI? My school 3Ls pretty much get at most 3 screeners. Is 3L mass mailing any use?

User avatar
OneMoreLawHopeful
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:How are you defining "mid law"?

I know people who went from outside the vault range to inside the vault range (one went all the way to V10), but they were all at firms that ranked in the second half of the AmLaw 200.

So, are you defining firms like Fox Rothschild or Sedgwick as "midlaw"? If so, then your answer is "yes" it is possible.

However, it's also hard to see that a firm with ~400 attorneys and 9+ offices is really "midlaw" by most definitions.


How good is your school's 3L OCI? My school 3Ls pretty much get at most 3 screeners. Is 3L mass mailing any use?


The one with the huge jump is actually a friend of mine from undergrad, so he went to a totally different law school, and I cannot comment on how their 3L OCI is.

I cannot comment on 3L mass mailing because I'm totally unfamiliar with it.

My school has a clear divide among 3Ls in terms of how many screeners they get. Those who went to v100 firms, as well as big firms just outside the vault range (like the ones I mentioned), and got an offer (this seems to be key) can swing 7+ screeners. Everyone else seems to get 0-3. This is based solely on numbers from 2012, I don't know how people did in previous years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI and Mid-Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would say 100-200 lawyers in a secondary market. I'll throw out a few names: Harter Secrest, Bond Schoenick, Obermayer Rebbman, Richards Layton, Cole Schotz (not too sure about the size of the last one).

I know of someone who went to a Richards Layton peer (but not NLJ350) and then ended up at one of the super prestigious DC large firms, but he also transferred in the meantime.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.