STARTING TO FREAK OUT!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

STARTING TO FREAK OUT!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:38 pm

Title says it all. Done a bunch of my callbacks and have a couple to go. No offers yet. Seeking advice/sympathy etc...

Anonymous User

Re: STARTING TO FREAK OUT!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm in the same boat. My plan now is apply to government gigs and hope I'm in a position that the agency will hire its interns.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Title says it all. Done a bunch of my callbacks and have a couple to go. No offers yet. Seeking advice/sympathy etc...

You are probably fucked bro. I wouldn't want to be you. My 4L friends who didn't do an SA are struggling, mass mailing every jerb. Nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Title says it all. Done a bunch of my callbacks and have a couple to go. No offers yet. Seeking advice/sympathy etc...

How long has it been since your callbacks? Some firms take a while to make offers until they see who they have to choose from. I have gotten some offers about a week after callbacks, but I've heard some firms take even longer. One firm told me explicitly "we like you a ton, but we're small and can't make a decision right away. If you don't hear for a few weeks do not think it means you're not in the running."

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Mass mail. Reach out to attorneys. Talk to CSO for contacts. Mass mail more. That's about all there is to do.

School/rank/desired market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:Mass mail. Reach out to attorneys. Talk to CSO for contacts. Mass mail more. That's about all there is to do.

Mass mailed early, mostly rejections.

T30/Top 10%/NY

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

You are probably fucked bro. I wouldn't want to be you. My 4L friends who didn't do an SA are struggling, mass mailing every jerb. Nothing.

Thanks for this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:49 pm

You should mass mail again.

I'm a 3L now, but last summer, I mass mailed the last week of July, hoping to get a look before firms started doing OCI. I found however, that most firms had no reason to consider mass-mail applicants until after OCI had been completed, and they found that they'd yet to assemble the summer class that they wanted.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:21 pm

I wouldn't freak out in your position, i would freak out in mine

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:Mass mail. Reach out to attorneys. Talk to CSO for contacts. Mass mail more. That's about all there is to do.

QFFT.

I recently received an interview + callback with a firm I just massmailed in late August. Regional law firms are just now starting to get their stuff together and review resumes. I had one midlaw firm tell me that they won't look until October. It is never, ever too late to mass mail.

If I can do it, so can you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Wise people mean it when they say never attend anything lower than a T6 unless you are a law review genius with a full ride and are a social superstar. You knew it coming in. Now don't complain because you are too socially awkward to hire from a T30 (ITE social awkwardness is pretty much only permitted at HYS, with some allowance made for good grades at CCN. Everyone else is fucked unless they look and act like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jollie).

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Mass mailed early, mostly rejections.

T30/Top 10%/NY

Did you ONLY hit up NALP firms? Did you ONLY hit up NLJ 2350 firms? I mean, there are a lot of firms out there that are big enough to take on a few summers. You just have to find them. Resume Launchpad is your friend. That program has helped me out a ton so far. I originally focused on NALP / NLJ firms when I was massmailing because I had no idea RL existed. Once I found out about that, I used it to my advantage and have landed some screeners/callbacks through it.

I feel like a bit of an idiot that I didn't know about it until later in the summer, but so be it. There is still time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wise people mean it when they say never attend anything lower than a T6 unless you are a law review genius with a full ride and are a social superstar. You knew it coming in. Now don't complain because you are too socially awkward to hire from a T30 (ITE social awkwardness is pretty much only permitted at HYS, with some allowance made for good grades at CCN. Everyone else is fucked unless they look and act like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jollie).

I wouldn't consider myself socially awkward but I hear what you are saying. I look more like Mike Ross (Suits) than Brad Pitt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:45 pm

yep, about to strike out as well. mass mailing has been useless.

definitely fucked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Its a horrible feeling when you keep waiting for the phone to ring and slowly realize that it isn't..................

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Yeah. Struck out too. Filling out gov apps right now. Depressed as fuck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wise people mean it when they say never attend anything lower than a T6 unless you are a law review genius with a full ride and are a social superstar. You knew it coming in. Now don't complain because you are too socially awkward to hire from a T30 (ITE social awkwardness is pretty much only permitted at HYS, with some allowance made for good grades at CCN. Everyone else is fucked unless they look and act like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jollie).

And, just to be clear, T6 + great interviewing skills + prior legit experience is no guarantee. I have all of those and am in the same boat as OP.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 pm

I've never reported anyone for anon abuse but I feel like this deserves a notice. It is really easy to say mean things a out people not getting jobs. Here is the real news flash - there are not enough jobs. Calling people out for not being smart or for being socially awkward because they don't have jobs from OCI is just completely uncalled for.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:04 pm

sunynp wrote:

I've never reported anyone for anon abuse but I feel like this deserves a notice. It is really easy to say mean things a out people not getting jobs. Here is the real news flash - there are not enough jobs. Calling people out for not being smart or for being socially awkward because they don't have jobs from OCI is just completely uncalled for.

If you feel it deserves notice, please report it.

My mod opinion is that this is borderline. If it was some asshole or someone with no relation I would out them. However, the anon is someone in a similar position to OP and because of that I will let this one instance be. That being said, the anon person is on notice that any other even close to dickish anon use will result in outings, warnings, and/or bans.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 pm

If the t-30 is Fordham, you should relax. I know very few people who have offers there yet. Things are moving slowly this year.

Also: just keep some perspective. I like to watch shit tv like intervention and hoarders when I'm down about job stuff. I might not have my 160k biglaw job, but I'm not addicted to heroin and living in a pile of dead cats and roach feces.

Life goes on, brah.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If the t-30 is Fordham, you should relax. I know very few people who have offers there yet. Things are moving slowly this year.

Also: just keep some perspective. I like to watch shit tv like intervention and hoarders when I'm down about job stuff. I might not have my 160k biglaw job, but I'm not addicted to heroin and living in a pile of dead cats and roach feces.

Life goes on, brah.

Watching hoarders and intervention when you're feeling bad about your life is 100000% credited.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If the t-30 is Fordham, you should relax. I know very few people who have offers there yet. Things are moving slowly this year.

Life goes on, brah.

Watching hoarders and intervention when you're feeling bad about your life is 100000% credited.

The hoarders marathon on tv this past sunday made my labor day weekend bearable

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Life goes on, brah.

The hoarders marathon on tv this past sunday made my labor day weekend bearable

+ 1. And Teen Mom

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:16 pm

OP here. Fordham it is.

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 pm

To OP and everyone else freaking out,

edit: [img] wasn't working

Return to “Legal Employment”