Schulte / Kramer Levin / Lowenstein NJ / Stroock

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Choose one

Schulte
30%
Kramer Levin
40%
Stroock
20%
Lowenstein
10%

Total votes: 20

Anonymous User

Schulte / Kramer Levin / Lowenstein NJ / Stroock

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:33 am

Choosing between the above firms. Things I care about: nice people, low bullshit quotient, opportunity to decide whether I end up in corporate or lit, and where to specialize.

I would like to leave the door open to "trade up", since my grades are okay, I am confident they'll get even better, and I interview much better now than I did at the start of EIW.

My impressions: Schulte is the most secure financially, but some people there are intense and the reputation is sweatshoppy. The other three all had exceptionally nice people across the board. Schulte also has the strongest rep in a particular area (hedge funds) as compared to the others, but also is very narrow, doing almost all hedge fund work.

Schulte's rep for hedge fund work is perhaps closely followed by Kramer Levin's reputation in Lit. But Kramer Levin's other practices are better regarded than Schulte's non-hedge fund stuff.

Lowenstein had nice people who claimed that it's a low bullshit, low face time firm. Others say that it's a sweatshop. Who is right?

Don't know much about Stroock except what I saw, which was fairly nice people, a finance and insurance focus, and several completely disparate areas of specialty.

I would appreciate if people could confirm or deny what I've written above, as well as adding any information about the firms and how they compare.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Schulte / Kramer Levin / Lowenstein NJ / Stroock

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 am

If I were in your shoes, I'd choose Lowenstein.

You really do have a strong opportunity to specialize and do what you want, i.e. after two years as a general associate in your department, you get to choose subspecialities. They have even waived the two year requirement at times for some summer associates who show serious promise and interest in a particular field. Also, Lowenstein's size and associate:partner ratio mean serious substantive responsibility for young associates. Lowenstein probably is something of a sweatshop, but so is every other firm on your list. The nice part about it is that, at least based on my conversations with associates there, there is a not a real facetime requirement, which gives you flexibility generally and the opportunity to work from home, etc.

Also, if you're coming from an elite, T-14 school, they will roll out the red carpet for you. And hell, who doesn't like to feel special? (This last line is obviously a joke and no real reason to pick it, lol)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I were in your shoes, I'd choose Lowenstein.

You really do have a strong opportunity to specialize and do what you want, i.e. after two years as a general associate in your department, you get to choose subspecialities. They have even waived the two year requirement at times for some summer associates who show serious promise and interest in a particular field. Also, Lowenstein's size and associate:partner ratio mean serious substantive responsibility for young associates. Lowenstein probably is something of a sweatshop, but so is every other firm on your list. The nice part about it is that, at least based on my conversations with associates there, there is a not a real facetime requirement, which gives you flexibility generally and the opportunity to work from home, etc.

Also, if you're coming from an elite, T-14 school, they will roll out the red carpet for you. And hell, who doesn't like to feel special? (This last line is obviously a joke and no real reason to pick it, lol)

Thanks. That's an interesting point about Lowenstein - do you work there? I don't think I'd be in a hurry to specialize, but they do talk about taking control of your career.
The things that worry me are whether it's actually true that you can in fact regularly work from home - say one day a week as a second year, or is it just 1% of the time they are more indulgent of it than other firms? Also, what are the exit options, both long term and post-summer? Would it be appreciably worse than the other firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I were in your shoes, I'd choose Lowenstein.

Thanks. That's an interesting point about Lowenstein - do you work there? I don't think I'd be in a hurry to specialize, but they do talk about taking control of your career.
The things that worry me are whether it's actually true that you can in fact regularly work from home - say one day a week as a second year, or is it just 1% of the time they are more indulgent of it than other firms? Also, what are the exit options, both long term and post-summer? Would it be appreciably worse than the other firms?

Don't work there, but did come very close to picking them. The only one of your questions I know enough to answer is that the low facetime requirement means you can maybe leave a few hours early or come in a few hours late if something comes up, i.e. going away for the weekend and want to get out early Friday like at 4. Also, it means that you can probably leave the office at 6 and then finish up work from home after dinner w/ family instead of having to stay in the office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 pm

Would you mind sharing when you interviewed with stroock and when you heard back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Bump.

Also interested in peoples' perceptions as far as Kramer v. Lowenstein in particular.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Lowenstein is pretty low on the sweatshop spectrum, and the people are genuinely nice, which makes the hours you do put in a lot more pleasant. That said, as someone who had Lowenstein as a top choice, Kramer Levin was another top choice, and my impression of the people there is very positive.

Low face time doesn't necessarily mean working whole days from home, but what it can mean is leaving at 7 and logging back in for a couple hours from your couch after dinner. Do not underestimate the psychological benefits of this.

There is no doubt that you generally see some QOL improvement as soon as you cross the Hudson, even if you don't go far. That said, not every NYC firm is created equal either. I can't speak with a lot of experience to Kramer Levin, but the people I met from there did seem pretty happy, and definitely low-bullshit. I think that if those are your goals, either firm (probably any of these firms) is a good pick, and you should start thinking about things like salary and where you want to live (which are related). A lot of the young, single people at Lowenstein live in Hoboken, partially because really, where else is there a scene where you can meet someone? If you worked at Schulte or Kramer or Stroock, think about where you'd live, and how the location of each office within the city plays into commuting options. Are you someone who would enjoy living in Manhattan, or someone who would hate it? If you want to live somewhere super hip and happening, the New York firms give you much more opportunity to do that, but a lot of the higher salary will also get eaten up that way. If you'd want to live outside the city anyway, then firms close to Penn Station and Grand Central are your new best friend, and you should seriously consider Lowenstein.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would you mind sharing when you interviewed with stroock and when you heard back?

I have the same question.

If you don't want to answer when, can you please at least confirm you have an offer? Sometimes people make these threads having a mix of offers and CBs...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would you mind sharing when you interviewed with stroock and when you heard back?

I have the same question.

If you don't want to answer when, can you please at least confirm you have an offer? Sometimes people make these threads having a mix of offers and CBs...

OP here. No offer yet. As you suspected, mix of offers and CBs. I did it partly to avoid detection and partly to get a jumpstart, but I'm hoping you can heave a sigh of relief. (Sorry and) good luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”