State Clerkship Networking

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

State Clerkship Networking

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:20 am

2L here interested in a state court (or AIII, but being realistic) clerkship following graduation. Is there any way to network for a clerkship? Can I ask current clerks out to lunch/coffee, or is that unseemly? Even if I do this, would it help with clerkship chances? Specifically, I am interested in my home state/law school market's Supreme Court, Courts of Appeal, and Circuit/Chancery courts.

Thanks!

nevdash

Re: State Clerkship Networking

Postby nevdash » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:04 pm

The easiest way to form a network is to intern with a judge next semester. I interned with a judge last schoolyear and had two of her clerks make calls on my behalf to judges for whom they had previously clerked when I applied this cycle. Just make sure your work product is good enough to make the judge and his/her clerks want to fight on your behalf.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:24 pm

nevdash wrote:The easiest way to form a network is to intern with a judge next semester. I interned with a judge last schoolyear and had two of her clerks make calls on my behalf to judges for whom they had previously clerked when I applied this cycle. Just make sure your work product is good enough to make the judge and his/her clerks want to fight on your behalf.

Thanks for the advice. How did you find an internship? Did the judge post it on Symplicity, did you call the judge's chambers, etc.?

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:29 pm

It was through a program offered by my school. Our career services office accepted resumes from interested students, whittled it down to a few, and then sent them to the judge for interviewing. Your school might have a similar program.

Return to “Legal Employment”