Clerkship bonuses

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship bonuses

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:03 am

Do firms pay clerkship bonuses to those who clerk after having worked for a 2-4 years? I have heard conflicting information on this. A general discussion of firms' policies would be really helpful as would anecdotes of real situations. Is it a hard and fast rule that only Associates who clerk out of law school get bonuses?

anon168

Re: Clerkship bonuses

Postby anon168 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms pay clerkship bonuses to those who clerk after having worked for a 2-4 years? I have heard conflicting information on this. A general discussion of firms' policies would be really helpful as would anecdotes of real situations. Is it a hard and fast rule that only Associates who clerk out of law school get bonuses?

Very few firms that I know of, esp. V100 firms, will pay a clerkship bonus for current associates who take a clerkship sabbatical.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:31 am

what if you switch firms after clerking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:31 am

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do firms pay clerkship bonuses to those who clerk after having worked for a 2-4 years? I have heard conflicting information on this. A general discussion of firms' policies would be really helpful as would anecdotes of real situations. Is it a hard and fast rule that only Associates who clerk out of law school get bonuses?

Very few firms that I know of, esp. V100 firms, will pay a clerkship bonus for current associates who take a clerkship sabbatical.
No anecdotes to share, but I am pretty sure a clerkship is not considered a sabbatical at any level. What are you basing this on?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:what if you switch firms after clerking?
OP here. I second this question. I'll definitely be switching firms. It's a circuit clerkship if that makes a difference.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

No anecdotes to share, but I am pretty sure a clerkship is not considered a sabbatical at any level. What are you basing this on?

When I say "sabbatical" I mean it in terms of the firm letting you take time off to clerk and then come back.

What do you mean by sabbatical?
Last edited by anon168 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

tyl123

Postby tyl123 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:13 am

Are firms ok with people leaving after a year to clerk (take a sabbatical) and then coming back to the firm? Seems to make sense because you get clerkship experience plus not having to pay a bonus to the returning associate.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what if you switch firms after clerking?
OP here. I second this question. I'll definitely be switching firms. It's a circuit clerkship if that makes a difference.

It won't be a "clerkship bonus," but rather a "signing bonus." So you may get a bonus bump for your COA clerkship, even if it is not designated a pure "clerkship bonus." Again, this will depend on the firm.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:19 am

tyl123 wrote:Are firms ok with people leaving after a year to clerk (take a sabbatical) and then coming back to the firm? Seems to make sense because you get clerkship experience plus not having to pay a bonus to the returning associate.

Depends on the firm.

tyl123

Postby tyl123 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:44 am

Ya seems like some people are working for a year or a few and then coming back to clerk. I guess it doesn't make sense from a bonus perspective if your firm doesn't pay bonuses to those who leave. But seems like working can help pay off loans and put some money in the bank before clerking. And if your firm is ok with it, you can come back with the years experience.

Return to “Legal Employment”