Etiquette Re: Billing the Firm(s) During CB's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fingersxd

Silver

Etiquette Re: Billing the Firm(s) During CB's

Post by fingersxd » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 pm

As I understand it, in addition to hotel and flight, firms are usually willing to pay for "reasonable" costs of meals.

What's the appropriate etiquette? How much is "reasonable" per meal?

If you are doing interviews over several days (ex. 2 days/2 firms), is it "reasonable" to ask to be reimbursed for a breakfast and dinner (assuming they take you to lunch)?

Any advice is welcome.

Ludo!

Gold

Re: Etiquette Re: Billing the Firm(s) During CB's

Post by Ludo! » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Most firms have guidelines on stuff like that. You can definitely ask for reimbursement for anything you eat. I think its usually like 20 max for lunch and 40 max for dinner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Official answer: call and ask for a copy of the firm's reimbursement policy and list of approved expenses.
If any meal is travel related, it generally counts. This includes breakfast/dinner.
$25/lunch is reasonable in most markets. $35 is reasonable in places with a high COL (ex. NY, Cali, etc.). Add +$10 for dinners.
I spent >$50 on a dinner and nobody said anything.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks guys.

Always feel a little weird calling to ask what a firm is willing to cover (in part because all the receipts are going to one firm and they are then going to split with other(s). But I haven't gone over $35 yet on any one meal (just to be safe) as I assumed that was reasonable, so I think I'm probably OK.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Just make sure nothing on the receipt or total looks asinine and you will be fine. They process hundreds of these and the flights are the pricey item.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”