NY: Sidley Austin v. Goodwin Procter v. Wilmerhale Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NY: Sidley Austin v. Goodwin Procter v. Wilmerhale

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Thoughts? I want to get rid of 1 and then revisit the other 2 + 1 other I am strongly leaning towards. I really had fantastic interactions at all 3 firms. It's hard to distinguish on that front. Everyone was really swell. Please add anecdotes to the contrary if you know any.

Considerations (in order of importance):

-SA-offer conversion: I have a lot of debt, and want to minimize the risk of being screwed at the end of the summer. Already eliminated one place because they don't have the best track record with SA offers.

-Work: I'm leaning towards lit, but don't have a clear idea of corporate. It sounds unappealing though

-Exit options: Looking for big gov within 5 years (think ASUA or along those lines)

-Work/life balance: Any of the 3 stand out as better or worse? I imagine they're quite similar with GP being maybe slightly more considerate of "family time".

Anonymous User

Re: NY: Sidley Austin v. Goodwin Procter v. Wilmerhale

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:08 pm

I dont have any helpful information, but when did you get the Goodwin offer and when did you do your callback there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:19 pm

I assume DC?

I hear Sidley has a great culture in DC. Some random people have suggested that Goodwin might be a little like a sweatshop. I have a friend who summered at WilmerHale in Boston and loved it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:25 pm

All of these firms are in NY. I only targeted NY. They are smaller offices (~150) and I like that. The GP interview was late on the second to last week of August and I got the offer the next morning after my CB.

Anyone have any other thoughts/reviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Not the OP but I also got an offer from Goodwin (NY) and they seemed like an awesome place to work. Everyone I met was super upbeat and positive about working there. Going to go do a second look but they're currently my #1 offer for NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not the OP but I also got an offer from Goodwin (NY) and they seemed like an awesome place to work. Everyone I met was super upbeat and positive about working there. Going to go do a second look but they're currently my #1 offer for NY.
how soon after cb did you get your offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not the OP but I also got an offer from Goodwin (NY) and they seemed like an awesome place to work. Everyone I met was super upbeat and positive about working there. Going to go do a second look but they're currently my #1 offer for NY.
how soon after cb did you get your offer?
A little over a week but I think a week and a half would be my guess on their average turnaround.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Bump for great justice. Seriously, any info at all, anecdotal or otherwise, will probably tip the scale.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:10 pm

anecdotal:
Some sidley NY lawyers bailed within two years when they sensed that the partner track was impossible.

That being said - I would take Goodwin, Wilmer, Sidley but thats just me. GL!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anecdotal:
Some sidley NY lawyers bailed within two years when they sensed that the partner track was impossible.

Thanks for the anecdote!

Any more information? Threads are pretty bare on these 3 NY locations

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anecdotal:

Thanks for the anecdote!

Any more information? Threads are pretty bare on these 3 NY locations
I agree, would really love more info on GP (NY). Will be doing a 2nd visit with GP (NY) in the next week or so and will report back any new info I get.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:03 pm

I know someone who worked at Sidley for a few years and really enjoyed it. He left to go into government, which seemed to be pretty easy to do from Sidley.

I've heard Goodwin could be a little bit sweaty, and they also seem not to have a lot of homegrown lawyers there (a lot of laterals). Not really sure about exit options from Goodwin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Bump, anyone have any insight into exit options from Goodwin or Wilmerhale?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:03 pm

I accepted a WilmerHale offer this cycle. Personally, I just really liked the people I met and they have a strong practice in what I want do. The NY office is gorgeous too. In terms of practice areas, I know Wilmer is really good in lit and regulatory. I'm not very interested in corp so I can't help you there. I think you should just go for fit and strength in a specific practice area, you can't really go wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”