Do firms pay any of the expenses for a second visit?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PinkCow

Do firms pay any of the expenses for a second visit?

Postby PinkCow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Have a few offers under my belt in NYC - want to go visit basically all of them again. I've gotten specific invitations to come back a second time from all of them, but no word if they will pay anything. Do firms ever cover any travel costs post-offer or is that on me? Does it vary firm to firm?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Do firms pay any of the expenses for a second visit?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Congrats from your Cornell brethren. Never forget your roots.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:15 pm

When I got an offer from an out of area firm, they said something like "if you are in the area and want to stop by and meet more people, let us know." I took that to mean that I'm on my own.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:08 pm

I asked if I could make travel arrangements through their agency and they said yes, no harm in asking.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats from your Cornell brethren. Never forget your roots.

Haha thanks. Once a Cornellian always a Cornellian.

I talked to CSO and they say firms usually do pay for travel. We'll see.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Major firms pay all expenses just like a callback. It's a great experience and probably worthwhile for a firm or two if you're really on the fence.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:55 pm

thesealocust wrote:Major firms pay all expenses just like a callback. It's a great experience and probably worthwhile for a firm or two if you're really on the fence.

This.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Two questions...

1) What sorts of questions / info have people asked / sought in CBs? Have you told the people you meet with the other firm(s) you're considering and what's making the decision difficult?

2) Does this count for East Coast people looking at West Coast firms? Will they pay for flights there and back?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 am

bk1 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Major firms pay all expenses just like a callback. It's a great experience and probably worthwhile for a firm or two if you're really on the fence.

This.

100% accurate, and I'm sure the firms you're looking at will be among those that pay.

I found my second visit very illuminating. Good luck- maybe I'll see you around this summer.

1) What sorts of questions / info have people asked / sought in CBs? Have you told the people you meet with the other firm(s) you're considering and what's making the decision difficult?

If you mean in second visits, they're basically just chats- you can ask for a hard sell, some firms will give it, some wont. They will ask where else you're looking- I was up front about it, and they would then ask what was attractive about each firm. Generally if the firms are largely comparable they won't say anything too pointed.

Return to “Legal Employment”