Choosing Firm - Boston Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Choosing Firm - Boston

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Interested in litigation. Offers at Goodwin, Mintz Levin, Ropes, and Wilmer. Liked all of them a lot, and think I could be happy at any of them. Which would you choose?

Anonymous User

Re: Choosing Firm - Boston

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:19 pm

If you want litigation - wilmer. Great firm, great people who are down to earth and normal, and awesome lit department.

jacksonmead

New

Post by jacksonmead » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:51 pm

that's a pretty impressive haul. approximate stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:31 pm

With so many offers so early, this person must have been a diversity hire through a job fair?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Wow... that is impressive. I know high ranked people really struggling in Boston, or at a minimum getting strange results, such as Wilmer offer and Mintz/Goodwin ding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With so many offers so early, this person must have been a diversity hire through a job fair?
Or goes to a school and with an early OCI (like HLS, CCN, etc.) and already finished up their CBs a while ago.

Any particular lit area you want to focus on? For instance, if it were IP lit then Wilmer would clearly dominate, but for general corporate lit it's more of a toss up. All of the big 3 have very different cultures, so you should take fit into account as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:16 pm

For me it has been Ropes and Wilmer above everyone else by a mile so far. Wilmer's corporate group has been shrinking lately, however, and that left me really concerned. Also, all the firms I did CBs, offer dinners, etc. with jumped on the fact that Wilmer is reducing their office space (not sure it means anything though). Great work and great people at both of those two. Mintz was kind of bleh but it is probably a personality thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:21 pm

These are all rumors so take them with a huge grain of salt... but... Mintz, Ropes, Foley I have heard to not be as hot as Wilmer, Goodwin, Bingham. I am surprised that above user is worried about Wilmer since I have not heard anything bad about them. On the other hand, no one ever knows about such things.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:These are all rumors so take them with a huge grain of salt... but... Mintz, Ropes, Foley I have heard to not be as hot as Wilmer, Goodwin, Bingham. I am surprised that above user is worried about Wilmer since I have not heard anything bad about them. On the other hand, no one ever knows about such things.
Yeah, everyone has heard rumors but no one really knows how to sort through those. It is no secret, however, that Wilmer Boston has had some fairly high profile corporate partner losses these last few years. Its also clear that their corporate practice has shrank in headcount a fair amount. I have no clue what their strategy is but both those things are true. I have an offer w/ Bingham and I can confirm that they are accelerating start dates for people in certain groups but I dont know how things are for the firm overall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:These are all rumors so take them with a huge grain of salt... but... Mintz, Ropes, Foley I have heard to not be as hot as Wilmer, Goodwin, Bingham. I am surprised that above user is worried about Wilmer since I have not heard anything bad about them. On the other hand, no one ever knows about such things.
Yeah, everyone has heard rumors but no one really knows how to sort through those. It is no secret, however, that Wilmer Boston has had some fairly high profile corporate partner losses these last few years. Its also clear that their corporate practice has shrank in headcount a fair amount. I have no clue what their strategy is but both those things are true. I have an offer w/ Bingham and I can confirm that they are accelerating start dates for people in certain groups but I dont know how things are for the firm overall.
Head of Wilmer's corporate group just left for Skadden Boston a few weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interested in litigation. Offers at Goodwin, Mintz Levin, Ropes, and Wilmer. Liked all of them a lot, and think I could be happy at any of them. Which would you choose?
Wilmer. No competition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”