Proskauer vs DPW

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Quality of life, financial stability, etc. I like sports law, but DPW does have some. Dont care corporate vs lit

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Unless you're dead set on L&E (which you're not), DPW is the far better firm with a far better brand name. Also, I've heard that it's tough to break into sports law at Proskauer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:29 am

I know a number of associates at Proskauer LA. Word is the entire office is run by one ex-Skadden partner, who works the office like it's part of Skadden. Associate morale is horrible and there's no chance of making partner. Associates are pushed out 2-4 years after starting. On the other hand, if you're looking for a corporate career, you will get fantastic training because you'll be worked around the clock 24/7. I have heard that it's so bad associates have to inform their partners when they schedule social events on the weekends because you are expected to be able to get to work within 30 minutes at all times.

I'm not sure about the other Proskauer offices.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby thesealocust » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:34 am

DPW by a mile.

One could have good reasons to pick Proskauer over DPW, but it doesn't seem like you come close.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know a number of associates at Proskauer LA. Word is the entire office is run by one ex-Skadden partner, who works the office like it's part of Skadden. Associate morale is horrible and there's no chance of making partner. Associates are pushed out 2-4 years after starting. On the other hand, if you're looking for a corporate career, you will get fantastic training because you'll be worked around the clock 24/7. I have heard that it's so bad associates have to inform their partners when they schedule social events on the weekends because you are expected to be able to get to work within 30 minutes at all times.

I'm not sure about the other Proskauer offices.


I did an OCI screener with two attorneys from Proskauer LA , one partner and one associate. And the associate literally fell asleep. His eyes closed slowly, and his head was down, down, ..., then he woke up and blinked his eyes a few times, said one or two sentences to me. Then repeat.

I don't know the reason behind it, but he looked very tired. I had to try to face the partner and ignored the associate, and I suspect that the partner knew about it as well. But we all pretended we saw nothing.

No CB.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:42 am

Proskauer has some financial difficulties and are looking to decrease incoming summer classes. in the past that's meant deferrals and layoffs too. Plus horrible quality of life and subpar rep outside of l&e. This is an easy choice.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Proskauer has some financial difficulties and are looking to decrease incoming summer classes. in the past that's meant deferrals and layoffs too. Plus horrible quality of life and subpar rep outside of l&e. This is an easy choice.


How do you know about this? From friends I've made doing deals with them, they actually seem to be doing pretty well right now.


I still think the choice should clearly be DPW, but I'm just curious as to why you're saying this. If its based on past behavior, that's still somewhat limited. Every firm in Proskauer's tier had done those things. But right now, Proskauer seems decently busy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:35 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Proskauer has some financial difficulties and are looking to decrease incoming summer classes. in the past that's meant deferrals and layoffs too. Plus horrible quality of life and subpar rep outside of l&e. This is an easy choice.


How do you know about this? From friends I've made doing deals with them, they actually seem to be doing pretty well right now.


I still think the choice should clearly be DPW, but I'm just curious as to why you're saying this. If its based on past behavior, that's still somewhat limited. Every firm in Proskauer's tier had done those things. But right now, Proskauer seems decently busy.


This. They've had a lot of involvement in the corporate area this year to, like American Realty acquisition. Proskauer is considered to be VERY healthy right now. Obviously Davis Polk being a v5 is a better choice unless the OP has specific practice group interests, but Proskauer is in much better shape ITE than many of its peers. I know this for a fact.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:47 pm

tagging this. i'm also interested in any purported financial difficulties at proskauer. i know there have been some deferrals in recent years, but moving to an office like they recently did in ny doesn't belie serious struggles.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:52 pm

As someone who worked at Proskauer before making a recent lateral move to a different city, I can tell you that there are no financial difficulties that I know of. There is too much work and not enough associates; that's the problem. Although I think they are hiring 3Ls as a result.

As to the topic of this thread, Proskauer is a great place and the new office is spectacular. But unless you have specific areas of practice you're interested in DPW might give you better exit options should you not make partner, which is pretty difficult in both firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:24 pm

I can second the financial difficulties rumor. I've heard that a major client may be leaving. Sorry, can't be more specific than that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:I can second the financial difficulties rumor. I've heard that a major client may be leaving. Sorry, can't be more specific than that.


As important as blue chip clients are, it's hard for me to imagine a firm of that size experiencing dramatic financial difficulties because one might be leaving.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 pm

I've heard a particular office is having difficulties, not the whole firm. It's not going to Dewey or Howrey but it's not a pleasant place to be (depending on city) and they may be looking at some minor layoffs/reductions.

why risk it, if you have other options?

FitterHappier289
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby FitterHappier289 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:41 pm

As someone who has accepted an offer with Proskauer already I would appreciate any insight into the overall health of the firm and about the particular office that is struggling. If anyone has that I would appreciate it. If you don't feel comfortable posting here please PM me. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:17 am

I'm the poster who posted about the LA office. If you're someone who has an offer and hasn't accepted yet, I would make sure to ask them about their attrition rates after one year and two years. Ask them how many corporate associates left last year. Ask how many of the associates have stayed with the firm past their fourth or fifth year. I believe the answer is zero, or something close to that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273492
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Proskauer vs DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:44 am

FitterHappier289 wrote:As someone who has accepted an offer with Proskauer already I would appreciate any insight into the overall health of the firm and about the particular office that is struggling. If anyone has that I would appreciate it. If you don't feel comfortable posting here please PM me. Thanks!


You've already accepted; what good would this do? Don't worry that they are going to cancel the summer program because they won't. Just work hard to get an offer and think about clerking or 3L OCI or lateraling after 2-3 years.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.