Best PE Firms in NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best PE Firms in NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:06 am

I know that STB is #1. However, the vault and chamber rankings are for nationwide PE. What are the other tippy-top PE firms in NYC? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Best PE Firms in NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Bump.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:24 pm

Why don't you reach out to an alum who does PE work, bring up the national Chambers ranking, and pick his brain. Then find 4 more and do the same thing. Then accept the fact that there are not preftige rankings for every little thing in life.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:29 pm

STB, K&E, Latham, Debevoise.

Paul Weiss on the rise. Am certainly forgetting others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:33 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:STB, K&E, Latham, Debevoise.

Is that K&E Chicago or K&E NYC? I know a couple people at K&E Chicago and they made it seem like their office, and not the NYC one, was where you wanted to be for PE.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is that K&E Chicago or K&E NYC? I know a couple people at K&E Chicago and they made it seem like their office, and not the NYC one, was where you wanted to be for PE.

Both. SF and DC too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:50 pm

IAFG wrote:Why don't you reach out to an alum who does PE work, bring up the national Chambers ranking, and pick his brain. Then find 4 more and do the same thing. Then accept the fact that there are not preftige rankings for every little thing in life.

I am just curious. No need to have attitude, dude. My interest is simply I would like to go to a law firm well known for PE work. If it is a top ten or so in the area, that is great. I am not interested in knit-picking whether it is #3 or #8, etc.

And thanks for the input, Fresh Prince.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Can I ask why you're interested in PE work?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

K&E NY is still a beast for PE, but mostly mid-market clients. K&E NY has Bain, but after that generally dominates mid market whereas STB takes top PE shops.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 pm

Weil and Ropes also have decent practices, but these are probably the top 4.

I assume you're talking about buyouts. If you're talking about fund formation as well, STB and Debevoise handle the vast majority of that work - I heard a stat (not from either firm) that something like 80%+ of the private equity funds formed in the last 20 years were done by one of those two.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

K&E NY is still a beast for PE, but mostly mid-market clients. K&E NY has Bain, but after that generally dominates mid market whereas STB takes top PE shops.

STB will take whatever PE shops will give them money, the same with K&E. STB has done PE work for many K&E clients, and vice versa.

With respect to "middle market," this is quickly becoming an obsolete distinction. The economy has basically guaranteed that mega LBOs won't be happening in the near future, and Dealbook has a pretty good article on why the heavy hitters are now breaking into middle market deals (this includes KKR and Blackstone).

And Carlyle, the PE firm that's arguably done the biggest buyouts this year, works primarily with Latham.

As STB and other top law firms do more middle market deals (as they inevitably will), associates should embrace it. A law firm, today, that is built solely for $4 billion LBOs will not last.
Last edited by Old Gregg on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:37 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:

I assume you're talking about buyouts. If you're talking about fund formation as well, STB and Debevoise handle the vast majority of that work - I heard a stat (not from either firm) that something like 80%+ of the private equity funds formed in the last 20 years were done by one of those two.

Yep, was talking about buyouts. Don't really know enough about fund formation, though I think chambers is pretty accurate with respect to its rankings.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:

Yep, was talking about buyouts. Don't really know enough about fund formation, though I think chambers is pretty accurate with respect to its rankings.

Fresh Prince gets this right for the most part. I think Debevoise's buyouts practice is slightly overrated (pulled up by its FF practice) but otherwise about right

Return to “Legal Employment”