Lateralling to other markets from NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateralling to other markets from NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:17 am

Heres my situation - I'm from a non-NYC big city. I've always wanted to live in NYC and almost went to CLS/NYU for law school but instead chose a school closer to home. I have offers in NYC now and really want to try it out but am concerned about the lifestyle and not sure I want to raise a family there etc. Would love to go there for the summer and try it for a couple of years afterwards.

I also have callbacks in my large but non-NYC home market.

Also I have a couple of NY offers - one V50 that I really like which also has an office in my home market (where I didn't get an offer) and one V30 which I really wasn't that big a fan of and does less of the kind of work that I am interested in.

Ideally I'd go for the NYC firm I liked the best and worry about lateraling in a couple of years. But I don't know how easy this is to do? I am also not sure if I'm hurting my chances to lateral by going to the somewhat/slightly less prestigious firm...

I'd love to hear suggestions from attorneys who have, or know people who have lateraled from NYC to other markets...but this being TLS 0L-3L comments are obviously accepted as well. :lol:

Anonymous User

Re: Lateralling to other markets from NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:35 am

Curious about this is as well- is conventional wisdom "NY can go anywhere but not vice versa, true?"

Renzo

Re: Lateralling to other markets from NY

Postby Renzo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:02 pm

When I was in the OCI process, I happened to have (non job-search related) lunch with a partner at a name-brand Los Angeles firm and this topic came up. He said, "I think you should start you career in New York. You can always take a Broadway show on the road."

Return to “Legal Employment”