What to ask post-offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bigredforlaw

What to ask post-offer

Postby bigredforlaw » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:54 pm

What should I ask partners and associates post-offer? Of course I want to know more about the summer program, the work past summer associates did, etc. But what is okay to ask when it comes to firm stability, work/life balance, general satisfaction with your job? How might I phrase these things? I also don't want to ask anything that will get a generic feel-good answer. I know going in for a second look would be the best for determining whether I really fit in, but I just don't have the ability to do that before my offer expires.

Also, somewhat related, is it okay for me to ask about splitting my summer between two of their offices even though I expressed a commitment to NY in my interviews? I heard that 3 or 4 years ago the firm let nearly half the class to split and it was considered the norm, but since the non-NY office cut its summer program significantly, only 1 or 2 people have done it per summer. I have ties to both markets. Is it even worth asking? I know the NY office is way busier, but the firm has consistently offered 100% of its summers (bar one or two awful fit situations).

Anonymous User

Re: What to ask post-offer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:56 am

+1 Also interested in hearing about this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:19 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm also interested in this as well. My take is essentially it's not WHAT you ask but WHO you ask. Obviously if you express your desire to GTFO of NY to a hiring partner you're gonna have a bad time. However, if you ask an associate whether or not they have a personal life, I think you'll be ok.

That's my take on it FWIW. I'm actually in an extremely similar situation to you (firm size in NYC, wanting to split summer with a satellite office, etc.) so I'll report back what happens on my end.

Return to “Legal Employment”