Latham LA vs. Bingham LA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Latham LA vs. Bingham LA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Any general TLS wisdom on helping someone decide between these two firms for a SA position. Litigation focused.

anon168

Re: Latham LA vs. Bingham LA

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any general TLS wisdom on helping someone decide between these two firms for a SA position. Litigation focused.

Latham. No brainer.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:33 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any general TLS wisdom on helping someone decide between these two firms for a SA position. Litigation focused.

Latham. No brainer.

The fuck? Unless you like fratty, sweat-shopish, environments with a chance of being no-offered after your summer, why would ever pick Latham, let alone consider it one-sided? Bingham's got one of the best QOL's on the West Coast, and that's saying something.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Tanicius wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Latham. No brainer.

The fuck? Unless you like fratty, sweat-shopish, environments with a chance of being no-offered after your summer, why would ever pick Latham, let alone consider it one-sided? Bingham's got one of the best QOL's on the West Coast, and that's saying something.

Let's put it his way.

99.9999% of the posters on this sub-board, when asking a question like this, are asking about which firm to go to vis-a-vis their long-term career prospects. Few, if any, are picking a SA firm with the intent on staying forever and making partner, which is why this whole QOL bullshit is, well, bullshit.

So, all of that said, for the purposes of long-term career prospects (read: exit options) as well as training and work experience, Latham is a no-brainer.

The only person who would choose Bingham over Latham in this situation is a person who does not have an offer from Latham.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:35 pm

anon168 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Latham. No brainer.

Let's put it his way.

99.9999% of the posters on this sub-board, when asking a question like this, are asking about which firm to go to vis-a-vis their long-term career prospects. Few, if any, are picking a SA firm with the intent on staying forever and making partner, which is why this whole QOL bullshit is, well, bullshit.

So, all of that said, for the purposes of long-term career prospects (read: exit options) as well as training and work experience, Latham is a no-brainer.

The only person who would choose Bingham over Latham in this situation is a person who does not have an offer from Latham.

Associates have QOL concerns too, you know...

And getting no-offered really ought to factor into this question of long-term career prospects.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Are the rising 3L's who summered at Bingham in LA this summer also not starting until January 2014?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Tanicius wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Latham. No brainer.

Let's put it his way.

Associates have QOL concerns too, you know...

And getting no-offered really ought to factor into this question of long-term career prospects.

QOL comes into play if you are deciding between Latham (LA) and GDC (LA), or Bingham and Winston, for example. Not otherwise.

It's like saying, if someone were to give you the choice of a free Prius or RR Phantom and you chose the Prius because it got better gas mileage. Gas mileage is relevant if choosing between a Prius or Volt, or between a Phantom and a Flying Spur, but not otherwise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Tanicius wrote:

where are you getting this no offer business? Hasn't Latham had a 100% offer rate since 2010 and Bingham has not?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:51 am

This year Latham did not have a 100% offer rate in several offices. I don't know about LA specifically, but DC there were at least 2 and was told NY was the same.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:06 am

[/quote]The fuck? Unless you like fratty, sweat-shopish, environments with a chance of being no-offered after your summer, why would ever pick Latham, let alone consider it one-sided? Bingham's got one of the best QOL's on the West Coast, and that's saying something.[/quote]

Hate to disagree with you here because I am always amazed by those who don't understand that only TLS posters care about V20 v. V30 and would work at a much less pleasant place for the same amount of $ for illusory prestige...but Latham is unquestionably a better career-move then Bingham. If you want to stay in biglaw you are probably far more likely to end up a partner at a Bingham like firm by starting your career at Latham...if you want to exit biglaw ASAP you will likely have far better govt., in-house or smaller firm options with Latham on your resume.

I also think Latham gets an overblown negative rep because of the layoffs. Yes I'd pick Gibson, Munger, Irell over Latham maybe even O'Melveny over Latham but on the west coast that is it. Latham is still a huge huge deal especially in LA. And their offer rates for summers are very high and that wave of layoffs was horrifying but the product of a particular time when A LOT of firms laid off a lot of associates. Its not more insecure then anywhere else.

Bingham might be nicer then the average law firm in terms of places to work - but its still going to be biglaw.

I am all for choosing for fit - but know you'd be giving up a lot career wise to choose Bingham and this is about the FIRST place you work- thats it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:25 am

This year Latham did not have a 100% offer rate in several offices. I don't know about LA specifically, but DC there were at least 2 and was told NY was the same.

Here's the thing about a post like this (and I also disagree about the "sweatshopy" comment earlier, like I'll disagree about the fratty one too, because that's not the case in every office at all) -- Unless you know exactly why those people were no offered, tossing out the no offer bullshit means nothing. Because as much as we'd all like 100% offers (and it was 100% in both NY AND DC last year), there very well could be extremely legitimate and not business (read: revenue) related reasons that those people were no offered. If the summer was producing shit work every day, or was inappropriate to other individuals, or belligerent all the time, etc., then the no offer is valid.

Latham DC (where I summered) made it a point while I was there to keep in contact with each person and let him or her know if any issues were arising. If there was a no-offer, barring a change in their policies/practices, the person knows exactly why it occurred and it should not have been unexpected.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:31 am

+1 for Latham.

This is not TLS BS and prestige whoring.

This is like asking: is Loyola LA a more pleasant place to go to school than Chicago? Maybe...but I'd tell anyone who asks that question 1. law school will still kick your ass either way and 2. you would be giving up too much opportunity to make it worth it.

Similarly I think any bad things about Latham as a place to work are overstated and drawbacks about Bingham are probably understated. Both are going to suck - welcome to big law. Other then that...its just not a close call.

This is an easy choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Here's the thing about a post like this (and I also disagree about the "sweatshopy" comment earlier, like I'll disagree about the fratty one too, because that's not the case in every office at all) -- Unless you know exactly why those people were no offered, tossing out the no offer bullshit means nothing. Because as much as we'd all like 100% offers (and it was 100% in both NY AND DC last year), there very well could be extremely legitimate and not business (read: revenue) related reasons that those people were no offered. If the summer was producing shit work every day, or was inappropriate to other individuals, or belligerent all the time, etc., then the no offer is valid.

Latham DC (where I summered) made it a point while I was there to keep in contact with each person and let him or her know if any issues were arising. If there was a no-offer, barring a change in their policies/practices, the person knows exactly why it occurred and it should not have been unexpected.

Oh look, Latham just offered 100% of their class in LA:

--LinkRemoved--.

And in 2011 NY, DC, Orange County, SF all had 100% offer rates...

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/summer-a ... an-update/

Sounds like they shoot for 100% offer rates far more than some of their peers.

Couldn't find Bingham offer rates but I highly doubt they are always 100% thats not even a sign of a good firm (people who are unprofessional or can't do the work at a basic level shouldn't get offers - the interview process catches most but not all of these). Also Bingham did layoffs during the recession...much smaller then Latham's to be sure but then again they have a lot less people especially in their west coast offices.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

gyarados

Postby gyarados » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:41 am

Latham had 100% offers in LA last year (and I think previously, but not sure about that). Some people are still bitter about the layoffs, but that's bullshit. This is a business decision, and you're just as safe at Latham as anywhere else (maybe more).

Like people already said, Latham is the obvious choice here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:49 am

OP here. Thanks guys. You have been most helpful and this surprisingly didn't turn into a flamewar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:39 pm

When did you do your latham cb and when did you get your offer, if I may ask?

Return to “Legal Employment”