Anyone out there from Skadden NYC?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anyone out there from Skadden NYC?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:17 pm

I feel that they had a reputation of having a lot of angry screaming partners as recently as a few years back, but my impression is that they've fixed themselves up more recently. Everyone I met there seemed very nice. Then again, it could just be the recruiting department BSing me. If anyone is there, is the Skadden of today a kindler, gentler firm, or are there still a good number of screamers?

Anonymous User

Re: Anyone out there from Skadden NYC?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:50 am

Bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:08 am

Bump. For a more specific question: is the summer program any better than life as a junior associate? Do they "shield" the summers from the bad stuff? What kind of hours do summers work?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:I feel that they had a reputation of having a lot of angry screaming partners as recently as a few years back, but my impression is that they've fixed themselves up more recently. Everyone I met there seemed very nice. Then again, it could just be the recruiting department BSing me. If anyone is there, is the Skadden of today a kindler, gentler firm, or are there still a good number of screamers?

So, you say Skad once had the reputation of having angry, screaming partners. And that has changed in a few years. Really? What do you think changed in a few years? Do you think they fired those angry, screaming, money-making partners in order to mollify abused, powerless Associates who bring in no business? Think it through. If those partners were angry and screaming a few years ago in a better economy, how much angrier do you think they are now? They haven't gone anywhere. They are still there and you will fall prey to them as soon as you get there. Enjoy the summer because the gloves come off once you're an Associate. The firm you come back to will be nothing like the one you summered at.

I'll refer to myself as "Anon 9:32" when I post in this thread.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. For a more specific question: is the summer program any better than life as a junior associate? Do they "shield" the summers from the bad stuff? What kind of hours do summers work?
Anon 9:32 here. Yes, they shield you. How is this not obvious to you? Why in the world would they treat you like a trapped Associate before they have trapped you? Think this through.

Skadden NYC is a miserable place. It is also a vindictive place so Associates have nothing to gain by risking their jobs to be honest with you. Associates have everything to gain by recruiting you though because that communicates to higher-ups that these Associates are "team players." Also, when Associates are recruiting you, they are enjoying free meals, time out of the office, and time away from those angry, screaming partners. See how things are stacked against you getting honest information?

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I feel that they had a reputation of having a lot of angry screaming partners as recently as a few years back, but my impression is that they've fixed themselves up more recently. Everyone I met there seemed very nice. Then again, it could just be the recruiting department BSing me. If anyone is there, is the Skadden of today a kindler, gentler firm, or are there still a good number of screamers?

I just want to point out that Skadden is like the biggest law firm ever. They have 700+ attorneys in their NY office. There has to be every single type of person there, both nice and screamers.

Return to “Legal Employment”