Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can we assume if we haven't heard back at all post-screener that we're out? Or has anyone gotten a rejection pre-callback?


If it's been 3+ weeks, then I'm afraid the answer is yes, based on what I've read in this thread and/or the FTC website. If the screener was more recent, then it's not entirely hopeless, but I would go ahead and assume you're out if that will preserve your sanity or help you move on. Of course I'm the type of person who tries to keep my expectations low (even if I fantasize in my head about getting an offer) and err on the side of pessimism in these situations.

FWIW, I know of someone who had a screener this month and heard back about a CB within a few days. And looking at past years' threads, dings for non-CB applicants don't seem to go out until December.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Around what time was your screener and what time was your callback?

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Callback for 3L Entry Level Position
Top 25 school
Top 15%
Paid Government summer internship doing antitrust work but not in mergers.


So excited!!


This is me.
I received a rejection e-mail. Disappointed because the quick rejection means I was not even an alternative if someone offered did not accept. Good luck to the rest of you. It seems like an awesome group of people to work with.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:41 pm

...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Anyone know if they're still making offers? Also, anyone know what the turnaround is after a callback? Much appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Callback for 3L Entry Level Position
Top 25 school
Top 15%
Paid Government summer internship doing antitrust work but not in mergers.


So excited!!


This is me.
I received a rejection e-mail. Disappointed because the quick rejection means I was not even an alternative if someone offered did not accept. Good luck to the rest of you. It seems like an awesome group of people to work with.


Anonymous User wrote:Around what time was your screener and what time was your callback?


You can kind of tell from the earlier posts. This poster got the CB in mid-September, a week after her screener, which was about a month after she submitted her application in early August. (I might have the gender pronouns wrong, FYI.)

I don't know when her actual CB took place, but I would guess it was sometime in the two weeks between September 24th and October 5th. I'd be interested to know which week it was, but I get that there are concerns about outing oneself.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if they're still making offers? Also, anyone know what the turnaround is after a callback? Much appreciated.


What do you mean still making offers? Do you know of someone (not a returning summer intern or a 2L) with an offer?

I had thought they had made offers as early as October 15th in 2010, but then I just realized when I read that old thread for the 15th time that those people were 2Ls at the time.

FWIW, in a previous cycle, someone got an entry-level offer in early November, and they were still doing CBs last week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:56 am

Bump

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:51 pm

Man the government moves so slow. I'd really like to know if I'm going to be at my firm or with the FTC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:54 am

Well, now that frankenstorm has passed and government offices reopened, I guess we can resume holding our breath...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:58 am

Any word?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Fingers crossed we hear something this week. Even if it's just that they already made offers but not to anyone on TLS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Has anyone heard anything, ding or offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Silence so far.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Anyone get an update today? If we haven't received an offer at this point, are we probably out of the running?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get an update today? If we haven't received an offer at this point, are we probably out of the running?


Did you get an email update that was neither a rejection nor an offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:03 pm

If you had a callback and you haven't heard back you're still in the running. I had to call in because of an expiring offer on nov 1 and they couldn't give me an answer. They said it could be weeks before they know. They said there are a lot of things way higher up than they are that will determine how many people they could bring on. I'm assuming they're referring to the election and budget. I would sit tight and hold out hope if you haven't heard back. Obviously you should be hustling if you have nothing but you're most likely not dinged. Sounds like no one has gotten an offer yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you had a callback and you haven't heard back you're still in the running. I had to call in because of an expiring offer on nov 1 and they couldn't give me an answer. They said it could be weeks before they know. They said there are a lot of things way higher up than they are that will determine how many people they could bring on. I'm assuming they're referring to the election and budget. I would sit tight and hold out hope if you haven't heard back. Obviously you should be hustling if you have nothing but you're most likely not dinged. Sounds like no one has gotten an offer yet.


I'm the anon poster from 2 up. Anyways, I have an offer, which I need to accept or reject ASAP, but the FTC is my top choice. Anyone have any idea what kind of chance we have of getting an offer at this point? Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:24 pm

I would say just as good as anyone else but don't tell them about your offer. I would have reneged on my firm but once I told them about my expiring offer they were pretty clear that I should accept saying that they don't know when they would know about hiring and emphasizing that I shouldn't throw away a job opportunity for an unknown. Maybe they didn't like but it sounded sincere.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you had a callback and you haven't heard back you're still in the running. I had to call in because of an expiring offer on nov 1 and they couldn't give me an answer. They said it could be weeks before they know. They said there are a lot of things way higher up than they are that will determine how many people they could bring on. I'm assuming they're referring to the election and budget. I would sit tight and hold out hope if you haven't heard back. Obviously you should be hustling if you have nothing but you're most likely not dinged. Sounds like no one has gotten an offer yet.


I'm the anon poster from 2 up. Anyways, I have an offer, which I need to accept or reject ASAP, but the FTC is my top choice. Anyone have any idea what kind of chance we have of getting an offer at this point? Thanks.


I'm in the same position-- I have another offer, but FTC is my #1. I'm almost positive that the anonymous poster above is correct that no offers have gone out yet and that you are still in the running.

As for our odds. When I interviewed a while back, they expected to hire 3 or 4 non-summer people. But it would be hard to approximate even if we knew how many people with CBs haven't been dinged yet since there seems to be uncertainty with respect to how many spots they'll be filling.


Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, have offers started to go out?

http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 3#22146771


I don't think so because someone asks whether OP means BC or BCP, and OP says he was thinking BC but wouldn't mind hearing about BCP also. I thus read the thread as a general inquiry.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Has anyone received any info, or even an offer, from the FTC over the past few weeks?

Maple540
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Maple540 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:47 am

Dinged yesterday for entry level.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273361
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Maple540 wrote:Dinged yesterday for entry level.


I'm sorry. I hope you have something lined up/potentially lined up. Was it via phone, letter, or email?

Maple540
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Maple540 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Nothing lined up. Email ding. I'm 3rd tier and I'm not top 20%. It was a long shot, but I was hoping my DOJ AT Division cite and some other cutting edge AT work I did would get them to look past where I hail from and my grades. They'll have to read about me in the papers (sigh).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.