Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Maple540
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Maple540 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:53 pm

I am still waiting for a CB. Nothing yet.

Maple540
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Maple540 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm

http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?threa ... forum_id=2

This is an old FTC thread I found. Info moderately helpful, timeline very useful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Isn't the narrow window to apply still open for 4 more days? Or is that just for 2L positions?


Entry-level window for BC closed September 15th.


Are people still waiting to hear from screeners or is everyone waiting for post cb news?


As of last week, they were still conducting screeners (perhaps only a few, but who knows).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 am

Maple540 wrote:I am still waiting for a CB. Nothing yet.


When was your screener?

Maple540
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Maple540 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:57 am

Haven't heard anything. It's been radio silence. No screener, no callback. I did get an email saying that I had to apply through USAJobs but that was only for 2L summer. I applied for both a 12 credit field placement and the entry level. Probably hear something in the next 3-4 weeks. It's been about 1.5 weeks so I guess no news is good news. I read somewhere the hiring committee meets every 2 weeks.
Last edited by Maple540 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladeeda
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby ladeeda » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Maple540 wrote:Haven't heard anything. It's been radio silence. No screener, no callback. I did get an email saying that I had to apply through USAJobs but that was only for 2L summer. I applied for both a 12 credit field placement and the entry level. Called them and they said that I wasn't supposed to get that email and that I would probably hear something in the next 3-4 weeks. It's been about 1.5 weeks so I guess no news is good news. I read somewhere the hiring committee meets every 2 weeks.



I'll save the rest of you the Google search. Here's where the above poster read that. It's from 2009.
http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 0e4251adeb

Maple540
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Maple540 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Yeah it's from 2009. Only meant to be probative.

blue4213
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby blue4213 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:45 pm

I e-mailed my application in for Entry Level position at the end of August. I have heard nothing since, not even a receipt confirmation. No e-mail, no phone call, nothing. Not only do I have a good law GPA with antitrust academic background, but also have an MA in Econ with a good GPA and extensive public service background. Thought I would for sure get a screener at the least. Haven't been dinged yet, though. Don't know what to think, really.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:12 pm

blue4213 wrote:I e-mailed my application in for Entry Level position at the end of August. I have heard nothing since, not even a receipt confirmation. No e-mail, no phone call, nothing. Not only do I have a good law GPA with antitrust academic background, but also have an MA in Econ with a good GPA and extensive public service background. Thought I would for sure get a screener at the least. Haven't been dinged yet, though. Don't know what to think, really.


I think they take almost all the summer class and then only really look at the (1) first applicants in Aug. or (2) the cream of the crop from the top schools.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:56 pm

Now that I think about it, I probably should have gone on linkedIn and typed in FTC. There you can see a lot of people who work/intern/entry level FTC and a quasi resume. And if I had a profile, I could see a heck of a lot more. Not everyone is top from a top 10-25 school or even primary journal. The question becomes, since I haven't heard anything back, is this already a lost cause and should I start trying to go private or go to a state level AG's AT bureau? I'm going to hold off for 1 more week and then start makin' moves.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Now that I think about it, I probably should have gone on linkedIn and typed in FTC. There you can see a lot of people who work/intern/entry level FTC and a quasi resume. And if I had a profile, I could see a heck of a lot more. Not everyone is top from a top 10-25 school or even primary journal. The question becomes, since I haven't heard anything back, is this already a lost cause and should I start trying to go private or go to a state level AG's AT bureau? I'm going to hold off for 1 more week and then start makin' moves.

Why would you wait for a rejection to hustle?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Now that I think about it, I probably should have gone on linkedIn and typed in FTC. There you can see a lot of people who work/intern/entry level FTC and a quasi resume. And if I had a profile, I could see a heck of a lot more. Not everyone is top from a top 10-25 school or even primary journal. The question becomes, since I haven't heard anything back, is this already a lost cause and should I start trying to go private or go to a state level AG's AT bureau? I'm going to hold off for 1 more week and then start makin' moves.

Why would you wait for a rejection to hustle?
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Now that I think about it, I probably should have gone on linkedIn and typed in FTC. There you can see a lot of people who work/intern/entry level FTC and a quasi resume. And if I had a profile, I could see a heck of a lot more. Not everyone is top from a top 10-25 school or even primary journal. The question becomes, since I haven't heard anything back, is this already a lost cause and should I start trying to go private or go to a state level AG's AT bureau? I'm going to hold off for 1 more week and then start makin' moves.

Why would you wait for a rejection to hustle?


Discretion is the better part of valor.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
blue4213 wrote:I e-mailed my application in for Entry Level position at the end of August. I have heard nothing since, not even a receipt confirmation. No e-mail, no phone call, nothing. Not only do I have a good law GPA with antitrust academic background, but also have an MA in Econ with a good GPA and extensive public service background. Thought I would for sure get a screener at the least. Haven't been dinged yet, though. Don't know what to think, really.


I think they take almost all the summer class and then only really look at the (1) first applicants in Aug. or (2) the cream of the crop from the top schools.



I get the impression that they stop even looking at applications sometime around mid-August.

ladeeda
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby ladeeda » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:33 am

Does anyone know how many CBs they've done or typically do?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how many CBs they've done or typically do?


I also had this precise question. So I reviewed every single thread from prior years for FTC entry level. I have come up with the rough estimate of about 15 (+/- 5). This is based solely on those that have self reported to a message board job tracking thread. It could be significantly higher – they do get 700 applications – but based solely on self reporting and then doubling that number (to account for those that don't use message boards) you come up with this. To try to guess how many CB's they have done this year, you need only to go back and review this thread. Not many.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:39 pm

How many ITT have had cbs? I had one last month.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many ITT have had cbs? I had one last month.

I had one last month too. So that is two.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many ITT have had cbs? I had one last month.


Had one recently. That's three. I also know of another person last week. So 4 if you want to include a non-poster.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Callback for 3L Entry Level Position
Top 25 school
Top 15%
Paid Government summer internship doing antitrust work but not in mergers.


So excited!!


This is me.
I received a rejection e-mail. Disappointed because the quick rejection means I was not even an alternative if someone offered did not accept. Good luck to the rest of you. It seems like an awesome group of people to work with.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:40 am

Did you get the reject just now? Do you have anything else lined up?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:18 pm

This goes without saying, but if anyone has an offer, please do tell.

Also, to poster who got rejection email, about how long ago did you interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Can we assume if we haven't heard back at all post-screener that we're out? Or has anyone gotten a rejection pre-callback?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you get the reject just now? Do you have anything else lined up?


I got the e-mail last week. I interviewed with the DOJ Antitrust division honors attorney program but I fear that since I was rejected by the FTC there is little to no hope for me at the DOJ. Other than that nothing else currently in the works.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:40 pm

I see. Good luck with DOJ. You look like a great candidate judging by your stats. Hopefully they'll get back to rest of us soon.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.