Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Federal Trade Commission-Bureau of Competition Entry Level

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Callback for 3L Entry Level Position
Top 25 school
Top 15%
Paid Government summer internship doing antitrust work but not in mergers.

So excited!!

Did you do an OCI screener, or did you submit your application through their online portal?

I submitted through the email address on the FTC's website. I did not do an OCI screener. I did do a phone screen with an attorney at the FTC. Received my call back invitation about 1 week after phone screen.

When did you submit your application? How long after that did you get the call about a phone screener?

Bump. And were you federal or state level this summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When did you submit your application? How long after that did you get the call about a phone screener?

Bump. And were you federal or state level this summer?

I don't want to out myself so I am going to be vague. I know that can be frustrating but hopefully still somewhat helpful. I applied shortly after the FTC started taking applications. I was invited to do a telephone screener about 1 month after I sent my application. I split my summer between state and federal work but only one internship was working in antitrust. Also, law will be my second career.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:46 am

Word on the street?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:58 am

Haven't heard anything since my cb. Probably will be a while.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Haven't heard anything since my cb. Probably will be a while.

Same. It'll be mid October before we hear I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:38 pm

When did you guys submit your applications? Or did you do OCI/ job fair?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did you guys submit your applications? Or did you do OCI/ job fair?

OCI/job fair

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Haven't heard anything since my cb. Probably will be a while.

Yeah, I know the only non-summer in the entry-level c/o 2011, and he got his offer about the first week of November.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, I know the only non-summer in the entry-level c/o 2011, and he got his offer about the first week of November.

I didn't ask how many non-summers they were hiring this year at my interview. Do you know?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:13 am

Different poster but when I was there they had mentioned a lot of summers were coming back so they aren't going to be bringing on as many non summers as they usually do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Different poster but when I was there they had mentioned a lot of summers were coming back so they aren't going to be bringing on as many non summers as they usually do.

Well Jesus, it seems they usually only bring on 1-2, so what does that mean? One spot?

Thanks for sharing that information; good to know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Different poster but when I was there they had mentioned a lot of summers were coming back so they aren't going to be bringing on as many non summers as they usually do.

Well Jesus, it seems they usually only bring on 1-2, so what does that mean? One spot?

Someone above said they only took 1 non-summer last year. Surely they are not taking zero?! But it sounds very competitive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Someone above said they only took 1 non-summer last year. Surely they are not taking zero?! But it sounds very competitive.

Yeah, I assumed they were taking at least one because otherwise they wouldn't be interviewing.

Maple540

Postby Maple540 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:51 am

Bump
Last edited by Maple540 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maple540

Postby Maple540 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Bump

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:31 pm

^
You bumped a thread twice in an eleven minute span without even saying why you are bumping it? :roll:

Maple540

Postby Maple540 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Yeah what happened is I put up a post and decided to take it down. It wouldn't let me just delete it and I don't use message boards so I had no idea what it meant. I applied in the second week of Sept. and haven't heard anything back. I go to a school ranked around 100 but I have a strong AT résumé. Wrote on to Law Review. Applied to both entry level and the semester program for Spring. My school will give me 12 credits to relocate to DC and intern there for 35 hrs a week. Wondering if they send rejection letters and when I've crossed the line where they are done doing callbacks. Applied through email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Maple540 wrote:Yeah what happened is I put up a post and decided to take it down. It wouldn't let me just delete it and I don't use message boards so I had no idea what it meant. I applied in the second week of Sept. and haven't heard anything back. I go to a school ranked around 100 but I have a strong AT résumé. Wrote on to Law Review. Applied to both entry level and the semester program for Spring. My school will give me 12 credits to relocate to DC and intern there for 35 hrs a week. Wondering if they send rejection letters and when I've crossed the line where they are done doing callbacks. Applied through email.

Based on a search of previous years' threads, they send dings in December. Looks like they are done making offers by early-mid November and may begin as early as mid-October.

Maple540

Postby Maple540 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:17 pm

By "dings" are you referring to rejection letters? That is, I got "dinged" and now I'm SOL? It was a long shot for me, I knew that, but Feinstein said:

Feinstein said in an article “we get extraordinary candidates year after year . . . [what makes someone stand out?] a demonstrated interest in antitrust or economics [as well as commitment to public service].” We “seek applicants from diverse backgrounds who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement, writing skills, leadership, professionalism, and involvement in their law schools and communities.”

If this is the criteria, I'm a shoe-in. However, if they rely primarily on where you are from or your grades, I don't stand a chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Who should cover letters be made out to?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:53 pm

Maple540 wrote:Yeah what happened is I put up a post and decided to take it down. It wouldn't let me just delete it and I don't use message boards so I had no idea what it meant. I applied in the second week of Sept. and haven't heard anything back. I go to a school ranked around 100 but I have a strong AT résumé. Wrote on to Law Review. Applied to both entry level and the semester program for Spring. My school will give me 12 credits to relocate to DC and intern there for 35 hrs a week. Wondering if they send rejection letters and when I've crossed the line where they are done doing callbacks. Applied through email.

Aw, I see, sorry....good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Isn't the narrow window to apply still open for 4 more days? Or is that just for 2L positions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Isn't the narrow window to apply still open for 4 more days? Or is that just for 2L positions?

Entry-level window for BC closed September 15th.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Isn't the narrow window to apply still open for 4 more days? Or is that just for 2L positions?

Entry-level window for BC closed September 15th.

Are people still waiting to hear from screeners or is everyone waiting for post cb news?

Return to “Legal Employment”