Paul Hastings v. Akin Gump v. Morgan Lewis

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where should I go?

Paul Hastings
55%
Akin Gump
36%
Morgan Lewis
9%

Total votes: 11

Anonymous User

Paul Hastings v. Akin Gump v. Morgan Lewis

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:12 pm

All NYC. Interested in litigation, particularly exit options into government, ideally federal prosecutor, but open to anything in government. Got a similar vibe at all three in that I didn't find I clicked perfectly with any of the three, but felt comfortable at all three. Only other consideration is if any of these firms are known for giving associates more freedom in choosing the kind of work they do, i.e. I'm not a finance guy and don't want to be stuck doing only financial litigation.

Anonymous User

Re: Paul Hastings v. Akin Gump v. Morgan Lewis

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All NYC. Interested in litigation, particularly exit options into government, ideally federal prosecutor, but open to anything in government. Got a similar vibe at all three in that I didn't find I clicked perfectly with any of the three, but felt comfortable at all three. Only other consideration is if any of these firms are known for giving associates more freedom in choosing the kind of work they do, i.e. I'm not a finance guy and don't want to be stuck doing only financial litigation.

Not sure about freedom regarding type of work, but in terms of number of attorneys doing litigation, PH has significantly more (and therefore probably greater flexibility) than the other two firms. According to NALP, in NYC, PH has 85, Morgan Lewis has 42, and Akin Gump has 66. Also, I'd recommend talking to attorneys at each firm to get a sense for how work is assigned (this is assuming you already have offers from all three). It's a pretty normal question to ask, and you can get a feel for the way things work before having to choose.

Anonymous User

Re: Paul Hastings v. Akin Gump v. Morgan Lewis

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All NYC. Interested in litigation, particularly exit options into government, ideally federal prosecutor, but open to anything in government. Got a similar vibe at all three in that I didn't find I clicked perfectly with any of the three, but felt comfortable at all three. Only other consideration is if any of these firms are known for giving associates more freedom in choosing the kind of work they do, i.e. I'm not a finance guy and don't want to be stuck doing only financial litigation.

Not sure about freedom regarding type of work, but in terms of number of attorneys doing litigation, PH has significantly more (and therefore probably greater flexibility) than the other two firms. According to NALP, in NYC, PH has 85, Morgan Lewis has 42, and Akin Gump has 66. Also, I'd recommend talking to attorneys at each firm to get a sense for how work is assigned (this is assuming you already have offers from all three). It's a pretty normal question to ask, and you can get a feel for the way things work before having to choose.

Isn't the real metric the number of litigation partners? Akin Gump 17 vs. Paul Hastings 21. So, that would seem to suggest roughly similar size litigation practices, but more partner contact at Akin Gump since the larger department at Paul Hastings is due to more associates.

Return to “Legal Employment”