How does 3L OCI work? (CCN)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How does 3L OCI work? (CCN)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:02 pm

I've thankfully received offers, but two really poor grades on my transcript really limited my prospects and I know that I missed out several cb's and potentially offers based firm GPA cutoffs. I'm wondering, if I do really well my 2L year, coming from CCN, what would my prospects be at a say v25 firm that likely dinged me upon sight of my transcript? Do the really selective firms even hire (relatively) extensively through 3L OCI at top schools? I'm unclear as to how the process works I'd really appreciate input.

dixiecupdrinking

Re: How does 3L OCI work? (CCN)

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:58 pm

There will be about half a dozen major firms interviewing 3Ls and a few others interviewing for niche areas (tax, IP). At NYU you would probably end up with between 1 and 3 screening interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:14 pm

OP here, though I'm curious about 3L OCI, I also have the same questions about 3L EIW and how 3L's in my situation fare with top firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Which firms are hiring 3Ls in tax?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Also at CCN, all the 3Ls I talked to this year said 3L OCI was very hard and did not produce much in the way of interviews.

I think you should ask yourself what your goal is in doing 3L OCI. Is it just the "prestige" of working for a V25? Is there a firm with higher compensation that you want? Do none of your offered firms do the kind of work you really want to do?

Full disclosure, I'm somewhat biased against the "V-X" system as a whole. All my V20 interviews did not give me a great impression while my offer from a V40 firm has me very excited. Different strokes for different folks but I think you should have a clear idea of what you'd be looking for at 3L OCI.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 pm

"3L OCI" should probably be banned from TLS vernacular. Lots of us use it as shorthand for "applying for firms during the traditional recruiting season." By no means should anyone looking to move firms (or get one in the first place) rely on on campus interviews to find that job.

Return to “Legal Employment”