Help me choose a NY firm (Poll) - Round 2! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

Kirkland NY
21%
Weil NY
79%

Total votes: 14

Anonymous User

Help me choose a NY firm (Poll) - Round 2!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:03 am

I have offers at Kirkland NY and Weil NY. Could you guys help me with this decision?

Criteria:
- Interested in M&A and/or Private Equity
- Exit Options
- Prestige

Kirkland:
Great M&A and Private Equity clients --> great exit options. But KE is based in Chicago, so I'm not sure whether its NY office is a good decision, compared to Weil's HQ

Weil:
Awesome corporate practice all around, but I heard that they have less exposure to great PE firms and bulge bracket banks, in the context of M&A, due to the focus on bankruptcy (hence, negatively impacting the exit options consideration). Also, I'm not really interested in bankruptcy.

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Help me choose a NY firm (Poll)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:33 am

Rationale is appreciated as well, if you care to share it. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:55 am

Weil NY is by far the best firm in the list. I wonder why it gets no respect on these boards. If, let's say, Cleary or Simpson were one of your choices, they would get all the votes. The distribution could just be a function of you letting people vote twice, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Weil NY is by far the best firm in the list. I wonder why it gets no respect on these boards. If, let's say, Cleary or Simpson were one of your choices, they would get all the votes. The distribution could just be a function of you letting people vote twice, though.
I was operating under the presumption that if I had Weil in that mix with a single vote per person, I wouldn't have very meaningful results - I think you're right that it's a function of people voting twice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Weil NY is by far the best firm in the list. I wonder why it gets no respect on these boards. If, let's say, Cleary or Simpson were one of your choices, they would get all the votes. The distribution could just be a function of you letting people vote twice, though.
No it isn't. And If Cleary or simpson were on the list and did get much more votes, it would be because that choice would be more clear cut than Weil. K&E > Weil on financial stability and comp. can't speak to the other factors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&E > Weil on financial stability and comp. can't speak to the other factors.
OP here. Could you please clarify? My only resource is Lateral Link, which shows that compensation is identical between the two firms. Also, we're talking about NY offices, exclusively. Does that change your perspective?

--
As to one of the other factors, I was under the impression that Weil's culture was much better than K&E's. At my school, K&E has a reputation for overwhelming its associates with an unreasonable amount of work.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My only resource is Lateral Link, which shows that compensation is identical between the two firms.
Base comp is the same. KE gives out above market bonuses based on hours (which can be quite significant). I'm not 100% sure, but I'd imagine Weil is on the Cravath scale (which are relatively minimal lockstep bonus amounts). You can find info on this sort of stuff here: http://abovethelaw.com/bonuses/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:42 am

bk187 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My only resource is Lateral Link, which shows that compensation is identical between the two firms.
Base comp is the same. KE gives out above market bonuses based on hours (which can be quite significant). I'm not 100% sure, but I'd imagine Weil is on the Cravath scale (which are relatively minimal lockstep bonus amounts). You can find info on this sort of stuff here: http://abovethelaw.com/bonuses/
Thanks BK

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:25 pm

OP here.

I kinda wanted to get some feedback on Sidley and Shearman, but I have a better understanding of things now. Thanks everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Re: Help me choose a NY firm (Poll) - Round 2!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Updated poll, reflecting changed preferences & offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:21 pm

K&E. They're NY office is known to be an awesome place to work and their private equity practice is outstanding. Also, from what I've seen, it seems K&E is growing their NY corp. practice and is really treated like a satellite.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&E. They're NY office is known to be an awesome place to work and their private equity practice is outstanding. Also, from what I've seen, it seems K&E is growing their NY corp. practice and is really treated like a satellite.
Thanks for your input. Can you make a comparison to Weil NY? Is Weil's New York PE practice inferior? I was under the assumption that Kirkland's Chi PE practice was outstanding, and that the same could not be said about the NY office.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:02 pm

OP: it sounds like you liked Weil better. Also, Weil isn't a non-entity or anything close to it when it comes to M&A according to Chambers; they're actually "ranked" higher than K&E NY (Weil is in the Elite Band 2, while K&E is Band 3). And from Weil's profile it sounds like they do plenty of PE M&A. Since you seem to like Weil better anyway just, go to Weil.

(If you said you preferred K&E, I'd say go there. It's really splitting hairs. Doesn't matter that you don't want BK)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:K&E. They're NY office is known to be an awesome place to work and their private equity practice is outstanding. Also, from what I've seen, it seems K&E is growing their NY corp. practice and is really treated like a satellite.
Thanks for your input. Can you make a comparison to Weil NY? Is Weil's New York PE practice inferior? I was under the assumption that Kirkland's Chi PE practice was outstanding, and that the same could not be said about the NY office.

False. K&E's PE practice is just as good in NYC. Arguably, the corporate center of the firm is no longer even in Chicago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:21 pm

keg411 wrote:OP: it sounds like you liked Weil better. Also, Weil isn't a non-entity or anything close to it when it comes to M&A according to Chambers; they're actually "ranked" higher than K&E NY (Weil is in the Elite Band 2, while K&E is Band 3). And from Weil's profile it sounds like they do plenty of PE M&A. Since you seem to like Weil better anyway just, go to Weil.

(If you said you preferred K&E, I'd say go there. It's really splitting hairs. Doesn't matter that you don't want BK)
OP here, Thanks a lot - I kinda needed to hear that. Looks like it'll be Weil.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

False. K&E's PE practice is just as good in NYC. Arguably, the corporate center of the firm is no longer even in Chicago.
Thanks for clarifying

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”