Thank-you's: Leaving People Out?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thank-you's: Leaving People Out?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:55 am

First of all, I'm a pretty strong believer in the post-CB thank you note, so don't try to talk me out of it. I've been just sending them to recruiters, but I had couple of nice connections at a recent interview, so I was thinking of sending some short n' sweet, "thanks for the interview, enjoyed this connection we had, love your firm" emails to selected folks. However, of course I didn't make connections with everybody. If you've sent one general TY to the recruiter, is it bad to send more personalized TY's selectively and leave folks out?

Anonymous User

Re: Thank-you's: Leaving People Out?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:41 am

Ran into the same issue. I decided to be conservative and to send a nicer more customized note to those who I made a connection with and a generic "thank you, nice meeting you, liked the firm" note to the rest. Probably unnecessary but I'd rather not take the chance they talk and some people who get a vote on me realize I thanked others but not them. I've even heard firms forward these notes to your hiring committee file so then they'd all see if you left someone out. Probably paranoia but what is the downside?

Loose Seal

Re: Thank-you's: Leaving People Out?

Postby Loose Seal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:40 am

I've received a few thank-you emails and notes and have not yet conferred with any of the applicant's other interviewers to see whether they received them as well. Typically by the time I get the note I have already submitted my evaluation of the candidate so it's somewhat irrelevant.

TLDR: Your interviewers are not going to cross-reference their thank-you notes (or lack thereof).

Return to “Legal Employment”