OCI for 2 markets: DC and CHI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI for 2 markets: DC and CHI

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Hello TLSers, I just want to say first that this forum has been immensely helpful during the process of applying to law school and that I value your input.

I'm a 1L now at a T6, and I'm looking for a little advice. There's no way to anticipate where I'll finish GPA-wise, but anticipating median seems safe. With my OCI less than a year away, I'm collecting a list of firms I'm interested in. I'm trying to stay away from NYC and the high COL, and I'd really like to live in either Chicago or D.C. I'm wondering, though, if I should risk smooth and look to interview at firms in other cities. D.C. is notoriously difficult to land, so would looking at/bidding 6-8 firms in a third market--say, Boston or Philly--be credited, even if I have no ties there?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Re: OCI for 2 markets: DC and CHI

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 pm

1. You're putting the cart way before the horse. You don't need to be researching firms now at all. You've got plenty of time to do that during either your 1L job hunt or during your 1L summer.

2. You can't really "safely anticipate" median either. There's almost a 50% chance you'll be below it.

3. Doing DC/Chi is a really risky idea imo.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:57 pm

You'll have plenty of time to worry about OCI 1L summer. Why don't you go grab a cocktail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello TLSers, I just want to say first that this forum has been immensely helpful during the process of applying to law school and that I value your input.

I'm a 1L now at a T6, and I'm looking for a little advice. There's no way to anticipate where I'll finish GPA-wise, but anticipating median seems safe. With my OCI less than a year away, I'm collecting a list of firms I'm interested in. I'm trying to stay away from NYC and the high COL, and I'd really like to live in either Chicago or D.C. I'm wondering, though, if I should risk smooth and look to interview at firms in other cities. D.C. is notoriously difficult to land, so would looking at 6-8 firms in a third market--say, Boston or Philly--be credited, even if I have no ties there?
Speaking from experience (current 2L who just went through OCI), I would actually say those are the 2 markets to stay away from. I personally focused solely on chicago (have strong ties, born and raised) and had a lot of friends who focused on dc/chi and we are the ones striking out. So what NYC has a high cost of living. I personally hate the city but would give one of my arms for an offer from NYC right now. Chicago and DC are every bit as hard as TLS says they are.

Bid NYC. /Thread

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Tagged. Thread relevant to interests.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:01 pm

bk187 wrote: 3. Doing DC/Chi is a really risky idea imo.
--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 pm

OP here. Thanks for the responses. So the consensus seems to be that throwing in a mid-major, third market to the mix would not make primarily bidding DC/Chi a better idea? Bidding NYC as my 3rd market or replacing one of DC/Chi with it is materially safer?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:04 pm

You go to a T6. Go get a job in the markets you want. Nothing will stop you from getting one if you get OK grades and do everything else right.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:06 pm

You go to a T6. Go get a job in the markets you want. Nothing will stop you from getting one if you get OK grades and do everything else right.
OP again. Part of me thinks this, but then the other part that takes AboveTheLaw and bk187 to heart says such an approach is asking for trouble.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the responses. So the consensus seems to be that throwing in a mid-major, third market to the mix would not make primarily bidding DC/Chi a better idea? Bidding NYC as my 3rd market or replacing one of DC/Chi with it is safer?
No it would not fix things. Your lack of ties and the fact that you bid other markets will hurt you there. And these non-NYC primary markets don't have a ton of SA spots anyways. That's the problem with everywhere that isn't NYC, there are so few SA spots in comparison.

Bidding 3 markets is also rough unless you have top grades and can shore up one of those with a career fair that you have access to. You are bidding with other people and bidding 3 markets means you won't get a ton of screeners in any of them. I'd suggest bidding NYC and either DC/Chi, then mass mail the one you didn't bid at OCI.

But most importantly you are thinking about this way too early.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the responses. So the consensus seems to be that throwing in a mid-major, third market to the mix would not make primarily bidding DC/Chi a better idea? Bidding NYC as my 3rd market or replacing one of DC/Chi with it is materially safer?
Do you have any DC ties? If not make DC your third market choice

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 pm

IAFG wrote:You'll have plenty of time to worry about OCI 1L summer. Why don't you go grab a cocktail.
This. Look if you have good grades you'll probably have no problems getting callbacks in DC and Chi - if you don't then you may need to be more flexible (on which firms if not which markets). But please forgive me but I'm kind of amused with your anticipating median - thats just silly - you have no idea. Just go get the best 1L grades you can - your at a T6 which is a great start but this thread is not going to get you any useful information.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:08 pm

bk187 wrote:
But most importantly you are thinking about this way too early.
Also this. focus on not fucking up 1L

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:09 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:You go to a T6. Go get a job in the markets you want. Nothing will stop you from getting one if you get OK grades and do everything else right.
I can't tell if you're being facetious, but if you aren't this is ridiculous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 pm

OP here. I'm definitely going to do the best I can this year. I'm just one of those people that wants to have a concrete idea of how I can minimize my chances for striking out, and, at this point, that seems to be making the best possible preparations for where to bid.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I'm definitely going to do the best I can this year. I'm just one of those people that wants to have a concrete idea of how I can minimize my chances for striking out, and, at this point, that seems to be making the best possible preparations for where to bid.
Focusing on enjoying life and thus not burning out when you prepare for 1L finals is TCR. That's the way you can best prepare. All the other stuff you can learn in a few hours later on down the line when it is actually important.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I'm definitely going to do the best I can this year. I'm just one of those people that wants to have a concrete idea of how I can minimize my chances for striking out, and, at this point, that seems to be making the best possible preparations for where to bid.
No. It's getting good grades you moron. This is sublime idiocy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:17 pm

OP here. I just started class. Finals--the only grades one gets 1st semester of law school--are months away. If I have the foresight to think about OCI, then I wouldn't flush my grades down the toilet by not doing the casebook reading and supplement work in favor of posting on an internet forum. Tool.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefPresidentTaft

New

Post by ChiefPresidentTaft » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:18 pm

bk187 wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:You go to a T6. Go get a job in the markets you want. Nothing will stop you from getting one if you get OK grades and do everything else right.
I can't tell if you're being facetious, but if you aren't this is ridiculous.
Depends what he means by OK grades and doing everything else right. You really think it is ridiculous to think a median student from a T6 can't get a job in Chicago?

But yes, this thread itself is ridiculous. Repost in a year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:20 pm

In a year, OCI will be over.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I just started class. Finals--the only grades one gets 1st semester of law school--are months away. If I have the foresight to think about OCI, then I wouldn't flush my grades down the toilet by not doing the casebook reading and supplement work in favor of posting on an internet forum. Tool.
Then go have some fun instead of being an insufferable striver.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:22 pm

ChiefPresidentTaft wrote:Depends what he means by OK grades and doing everything else right. You really think it is ridiculous to think a median student from a T6 can't get a job in Chicago?

But yes, this thread itself is ridiculous. Repost in a year.
I think it is quite possible that a median T6 student cannot get a job in the market of their choice, even Chicago. Doing everything else right is also a ridiculous catchall. I guess if he bids correctly, mass mails like a fiend, has a few years of WE, has a tech background, is ridiculously handsome, in great shape, and the most interesting man in the world during interviews then yeah he is probably is in a good shape. But most people are average interviewers at best and don't have the qualifiers that will help them in a job hunt (other than school/grades).

Agreed on the last part.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In a year, OCI will be over.
Because of course he meant that literally.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:24 pm

I'd stay away from bidding DC unless you at top quarter.

How good are your Chicago ties?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Median at NYU and CLS is shaky at best for Chicago and probably DC as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”