Work-Clerk-?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Work-Clerk-?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Rising 3L applying for clerkships, including several for 2014-2015. Not confident I'll get one, but I applied to around 120 judges (district courts and COA in home region) and have ok stats (top third at H/S) so I think I have a fighting chance. If I get a 2014-2015 clerkship but not a 2013-2014 clerkship, is it kosher to work for a year (realistically more like 9-10 months), clerk, and come back? Any issues with bar expenses/stipend? Will it negatively impact my professional development at the firm? Obviously TCR="ask your firm", but curious if anyone has done this and has insight into the mechanics of working and then leaving to clerk after less than a year.

anon168

Re: Work-Clerk-?

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L applying for clerkships, including several for 2014-2015. Not confident I'll get one, but I applied to around 120 judges (district courts and COA in home region) and have ok stats (top third at H/S) so I think I have a fighting chance. If I get a 2014-2015 clerkship but not a 2013-2014 clerkship, is it kosher to work for a year (realistically more like 9-10 months), clerk, and come back? Any issues with bar expenses/stipend? Will it negatively impact my professional development at the firm? Obviously TCR="ask your firm", but curious if anyone has done this and has insight into the mechanics of working and then leaving to clerk after less than a year.

Lots of clerks have done this. Your CSO should be able to give you info/stats on former students who have worked a year and then clerked, as well as the firms that have allowed this.

Will it negatively impact you at the firm? Without knowing what firm you are talking about, it's impossible to say. A firm like Kellog Huber or Munger, no. A firm like Milbank? Maybe.

TooOld4This

Re: Work-Clerk-?

Postby TooOld4This » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Law firms don't particularly like this, but it has become the new normal. Depending on how busy your firm is, it may affect the quality of your assignments for your first "year.". I wouldn't worry much about it, though. It's not that big of a deal over the course of your career and you will hardly be alone.

Return to “Legal Employment”