2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Smallaw, clerkship, or LLM?

Small firm job (forget about biglaw)
3
16%
Clerkship --> biglaw
12
63%
LLM --> biglaw
4
21%
 
Total votes: 19

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi All,

I am at a respected regional school with very strong grades and LR. Pretty sure biglaw is not going to happen, absent a miracle at this point in the process. I would assume the spots that fill up later in the game for 2L SA's go to T14 students. So basically, my options are as follows:

1) Suck it up and take a job paying 50-60k (do not want to do this).

2) Clerkship ---> biglaw (from what I understand these are just as hard to get as biglaw).

3) NYU/Georgetown Tax LLM ---> biglaw (I am not very familiar with how this process works, but from what I understand it is a thing).

What would you advise? What is most feasible?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi All,

I am at a respected regional school with very strong grades and LR. Pretty sure biglaw is not going to happen, absent a miracle at this point in the process. I would assume the spots that fill up later in the game for 2L SA's go to T14 students. So basically, my options are as follows:

1) Suck it up and take a job paying 50-60k (do not want to do this).

2) Clerkship ---> biglaw (from what I understand these are just as hard to get as biglaw).

3) NYU/Georgetown Tax LLM ---> biglaw (I am not very familiar with how this process works, but from what I understand it is a thing).

What would you advise? What is most feasible?


To those who voted LLM, can you please provide more info on how this works? Is there an OCI type process in LLM programs?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Pretty sure biglaw is not going to happen, absent a miracle at this point in the process. I would assume the spots that fill up later in the game for 2L SA's go to T14 students.


1) What happend at your OCI and during your mass mailing?

2) Why are you assuming spots only go to t14?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Pretty sure biglaw is not going to happen, absent a miracle at this point in the process. I would assume the spots that fill up later in the game for 2L SA's go to T14 students.


1) What happend at your OCI and during your mass mailing?

2) Why are you assuming spots only go to t14?


Like I said, my school is regional. OCI was not awesome. I got interviews, but it looks like 5-15 people will land a respectable biglaw SA this summer.

My mass mail to a couple of hundred firms has not been succesful whatsoever as of yet (checked for typos, etc. and there is no issue).

Thus, unless something happens to come up in the next month or so (slight chance), it looks l will be looking at small-law offers. I am trying to decide if I should gear my courses/summer position in another direction.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:56 pm

when you say "very strong grades" does this mean top 10%? 5%?

I don't think you should assume all big law at this point will go to the T14. I would bust my ass sending out my resume (especially assuming you are order of the coif).

do you have any sense of how you interview?

if it were me, i would 1) send out my resume to big law, and kill myself doing everything to make this happen 2) apply to clerkships 3) consider LLM, but also look for local mid law and boutique firms, because if you are a standout at a regional school with LR you are an appealing candidate.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(especially assuming you are order of the coif).


Order of the Coif is not awarded until after graduation and I don't think it is present at all schools.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when you say "very strong grades" does this mean top 10%? 5%?

I don't think you should assume all big law at this point will go to the T14. I would bust my ass sending out my resume (especially assuming you are order of the coif).

do you have any sense of how you interview?

if it were me, i would 1) send out my resume to big law, and kill myself doing everything to make this happen 2) apply to clerkships 3) consider LLM, but also look for local mid law and boutique firms, because if you are a standout at a regional school with LR you are an appealing candidate.


I am top 5-10%. Did mock interviews with CDO and got good feedback. Already sent out my resume to biglaw etc... back in july... followed up last week.

I am a 2L, so I dont have any latin honors yet. CDO reccomends I take a crap paying job, but that is not on my agenda...

Any other tips on how to get bites on mass mail? I got a few "what office" or "send your writing sample" and a whole lot of dings, but no screeners yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:38 pm

what region are you in? if this is NYC/Chicago/SF/LA that is a much tougher proposition than if you are in a region like the midwest or southeast, with fewer T14 people trying to come in and fewer top schools nearby.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what region are you in? if this is NYC/Chicago/SF/LA that is a much tougher proposition than if you are in a region like the midwest or southeast, with fewer T14 people trying to come in and fewer top schools nearby.


Yes, it is a school in a major market. I guess I have/had a shot at biglaw with my grades, but it doesn't look likely at this point.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby de5igual » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:46 pm

is it possible to take a leave of absence, then try and transfer next summer to a T10 to do-over OCI?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:49 pm

f0bolous wrote:is it possible to take a leave of absence, then try and transfer next summer to a T10 to do-over OCI?


I was thinking of that, but it sounds like it would raise alot of questions, and spending the year on say, an LLM might be more beneficial overall than a year on nothing.

Do you know anyone that has succesfully done this?

User avatar
OneMoreLawHopeful
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:50 pm

If it helps, I'm at a lower tier 1 school and just last week had the local office of a V20 firm contact me about a CB which they wanted to schedule on 9/14. Similar stats to the OP (top 10%).

Keep up the mailing, contact the firms that you haven't heard back from yet to follow up. Make it clear that you are hungry and have a real interest in the firm. Don't shoot for things like clerkships of LLMs unless you actually WANT them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273110
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:57 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:If it helps, I'm at a lower tier 1 school and just last week had the local office of a V20 firm contact me about a CB which they wanted to schedule on 9/14. Similar stats to the OP (top 10%).

Keep up the mailing, contact the firms that you haven't heard back from yet to follow up. Make it clear that you are hungry and have a real interest in the firm. Don't shoot for things like clerkships of LLMs unless you actually WANT them.


OP here, was the screener thru OCI?

How exactly have you followed up on mass-mail, producing results? I followed up with everywhere getting either rejections or no response.

User avatar
OneMoreLawHopeful
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, was the screener thru OCI?

How exactly have you followed up on mass-mail, producing results? I followed up with everywhere getting either rejections or no response.


It was following an OCI screener, but the screener was literally the week of 8/6. I sent a thank you, got a response, then radio silence until last week when suddenly they wanted to set up a callback.

I shared the story simply because I believe it shows that this:
Anonymous User wrote:I would assume the spots that fill up later in the game for 2L SA's go to T14 students.

Isn't necessarily true. It certainly seems like they were seeking to fill a spot, as they wanted to schedule the callback more than a month after the screener, and I'm definitely not at a T14.

If you haven't received a definite rejection, it's NOT over yet. Just write to them and say you're very interested and ask them to keep you in mind.

Unfortunately, I'm actually a bad person to ask about mass-mailing since I've already accepted an offer I got through OCI, but I believe that there are other threads on here which explain how it works (I think the best one is by Keg-something? I'd have to look it up, I'll edit a link into this post in a little bit).

Edit: Found it, here you go: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=191815

Good luck!

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 2nd Shot at Biglaw, Clerkship or LLM?

Postby rad lulz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3) NYU/Georgetown Tax LLM ---> biglaw (I am not very familiar with how this process works, but from what I understand it is a thing).

Son, do you even like tax?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.