Asking for an offer extension

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273397
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Asking for an offer extension

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:30 pm

My first, and only offer, is set to expire on September 14th. Need to ask for an extension because I have callbacks with much better firms after that date. Still waiting on some CBs and I have 3 screeners with V10 firms after September 14th.

Should I just come out and tell the firm that I am waiting to hear from my other CBs? Or that I have other callbacks scheduled after September 14th? I wanted to do this early, and not wait until September 13th to tell them I need an extension. But I don't want the firm thinking that I am not seriously considering them.

Additionally, I was wondering what kind of extension I should ask for. A week? Two weeks?

Has anyone been unsuccessful when asking a firm for an offer extension? Any advice is appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273397
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for an offer extension

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:58 pm

when you set up CBs with the other firms did you mention you have an outstanding offer that expires on Sept 14th? If not, I would call back the recruiters and let them know that. Usually they can move you up, especially as I'm sure some people are canceling as they get offers from more attractive firms.

Meep13
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Asking for an offer extension

Postby Meep13 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:57 pm

bump

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Asking for an offer extension

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 pm

I would contact them ASAP (tomorrow) rather than wait.

When are your screeners after 9/14? If they are within the next week I'd ask for at least 2 weeks, preferably 3 (giving the firms you screen with around 2 weeks to get back to you). A week would be way too short imo, but if that's all you can get then take it.

I'm not sure if being upfront is the best idea. You could tell them you have a handful of screeners that couldn't be scheduled until after 9/14, that you're still very interested in the firm, but you would like to make a fully informed decision (or something like that). But then they realize they are in a power position since you won't have even done a CB with the other firms at that point. I might try and equivocate and say you are still waiting to hear around, though being honest might also gain you sympathy from the firm to hold the offer open. I'm really not sure which is the best tack.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273397
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for an offer extension

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:21 pm

I'm in the same boat and am meeting with the recruiting contact tomorrow to ask some follow up questions and ask for an extension.

My CSO essentially said to be vague and say I have other commitments that I would like to honor and that as they can imagine this is a big decision and I want to be 100% sure and have all the information needed to make the decision.

I am also setting up additional meetings with firm attorneys and trying to use this as a means for the deadline being too soon. IE: I've just been able to set up these meetings and I would like a little more time to digest everything and make an informed decision.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273397
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for an offer extension

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:01 am

How do firms typically respond to such extension requests? I'm a bit nervous asking.

My CSO seemed to suggest that these requests are frowned upon. But then again, she's terrified of her own shadow.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273397
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for an offer extension

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:07 am

I don't know that there is a great answer to this. Attorneys that I have spoken to and my CSO were relatively optimistic that it can't hurt to ask, but the consensus from TLS seems to be more mixed.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Asking for an offer extension

Postby romothesavior » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:How do firms typically respond to such extension requests? I'm a bit nervous asking.

My CSO seemed to suggest that these requests are frowned upon. But then again, she's terrified of her own shadow.

Well, firms don't like to play second fiddle to other firms, so they probably won't like it. But they may still be willing to offer an extension. After all, it ain't personal, it's business.

I second the idea to call your CB firms and ask if you can move up to do your CB this week or early next. Tell them you have a deadline coming up and see what they can do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273397
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for an offer extension

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:30 pm

For what its worth I asked for an extension of two weeks and was given one. Firm was great very receptive and helpful about it.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.