Big Law 2L summer associate DC vs. Denver

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law 2L summer associate DC vs. Denver

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:57 pm

I am now going through several callbacks at some of the top-rated firms in both cities. Assuming I get an offer from each city for a firm I like, any advice on choosing? I think the Big Law lifestyle in Denver is much better and healthier and I'll have a better chance at becoming a star, but D.C. is more prestigious, the headquarters, and more exciting (especially for a politico). I have ties to both areas and love both cities for different reasons. Thanks.

rad lulz

Re: Big Law 2L summer associate DC vs. Denver

Postby rad lulz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Assuming I get an offer from each city for a firm I like, any advice on choosing?

The legal employment forum equivalent of "3.5 GPA, taking LSAT in October, what are my chances?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Not OP, but I'm in a similar situation. However, I do have offers from firms in both my hometown and DC and I don't really like DC too much. I'm wondering if there are any associates lurking around that made the decision to go DC and could share their stories.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:15 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Assuming I get an offer from each city for a firm I like, any advice on choosing?

The legal employment forum equivalent of "3.5 GPA, taking LSAT in October, what are my chances?"

I'm not asking whether or not I'll get an offer. I'm feeling pretty confident that I will from both cities. Asking about choosing between Denver and DC.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:18 pm

You'll have a life in Denver, even if your billables aren't much lower. It's also much more affordable (especially real estate) and family-friendly.

But if you're unsure, go to DC since DC --> Denver is easy, and Denver --> DC is very hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:21 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:You'll have a life in Denver, even if your billables aren't much lower. It's also much more affordable (especially real estate) and family-friendly.

But if you're unsure, go to DC since DC --> Denver is easy, and Denver --> DC is very hard.

Thanks, Whirled! But I'm also reading posts about how difficult it is to break into the Denver market -- that they drill you about staying there, and I assume choosing DC over Denver is not good evidence of that...

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
WhirledWorld wrote:You'll have a life in Denver, even if your billables aren't much lower. It's also much more affordable (especially real estate) and family-friendly.

Thanks, Whirled! But I'm also reading posts about how difficult it is to break into the Denver market -- that they drill you about staying there, and I assume choosing DC over Denver is not good evidence of that...

How easily you can lateral depends on a number of things--the prestige of the firm you used to work at, the amount of substantive work you actually did (a kid doing 2 years of doc review, even at Covington, is not going to be worth a 3rd year associate's salary in Denver where your peers are already doing depositions often), etc.

I wouldn't worry about breaking into Denver--if you have solid connections now, they won't doubt them in a couple years. It's fairly common to go coastal for a couple years while you're young and have debt before you settle down.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Dear God, this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:00 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How easily you can lateral depends on a number of things--the prestige of the firm you used to work at, the amount of substantive work you actually did (a kid doing 2 years of doc review, even at Covington, is not going to be worth a 3rd year associate's salary in Denver where your peers are already doing depositions often), etc.

I wouldn't worry about breaking into Denver--if you have solid connections now, they won't doubt them in a couple years. It's fairly common to go coastal for a couple years while you're young and have debt before you settle down.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Return to “Legal Employment”