Asks for resume, provide cover letter/transcript?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asks for resume, provide cover letter/transcript?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:41 am

I'm applying to the summer program of a firm that doesn't do interviews on any campuses, but has a formal summer program (as stated by their website). They ask that you send a resume if you want to apply. Thoughts on sending a transcript/cover letter as well?

paulinaporizkova

Re: Asks for resume, provide cover letter/transcript?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm applying to the summer program of a firm that doesn't do interviews on any campuses, but has a formal summer program (as stated by their website). They ask that you send a resume if you want to apply. Thoughts on sending a transcript/cover letter as well?

Why would you do that? They don't ask for them. If I got all 3 from you I'd be annoyed that you didn't follow directions.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Definitely send a cover letter. It is fairly standard practice to submit a cover letter when submitting a resume. Resume drops are obviously different. The others are not necessary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:48 pm

I would certainly include a cover letter- it is kind of implied I think. I would include a transcript if it is good. You are not going to get dinged for not following directions if your transcript is good.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:08 pm

CL just adds way more opportunities to accidentally misspell something or get facts wrong

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Going to go with the minority view here and say don't include anything except what they ask you for (e.g., resume). If you want to put a short cover letter-esque statement on the e-mail that sends it over, that's fine, but a recruiter at my firm told me that extraneous materials can only hurt, not help.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:16 pm

I would include a brief, cover letter-esque paragraph in the body of the email as well as resume/transcript, but that's it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:28 pm

What about when they dont ask for anything. Should I still include my resume and transcript with my not-so-hot grades?

Return to “Legal Employment”