Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby dingbat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:19 am

can we compile a list?

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:27 am

NALP lets you search for firms by whether or not they take 1Ls. That's not going to be exact, because some may say they take 1Ls but will fill up their class with 2Ls before 1Ls can apply, but it's a good place to start.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:32 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:NALP lets you search for firms by whether or not they take 1Ls. That's not going to be exact, because some may say they take 1Ls but will fill up their class with 2Ls before 1Ls can apply, but it's a good place to start.


This is what I did. It helps that you can click on "Recruitment/Hiring" and look at how many 1Ls they've hired for the past 3 summers.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby bdubs » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 am

You probably need to differentiate between diversity programs and regular 1L SAs

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:08 am

bdubs wrote:You probably need to differentiate between diversity programs and regular 1L SAs


This is a really good point.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby dingbat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:33 am

bdubs wrote:You probably need to differentiate between diversity programs and regular 1L SAs

How?
(even though I'm a walking diversity statement, I do not qualify for diversity programs)

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby kwais » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:43 am

dingbat wrote:
bdubs wrote:You probably need to differentiate between diversity programs and regular 1L SAs

How?
(even though I'm a walking diversity statement, I do not qualify for diversity programs)


One way is to assume they are all diversity spots until you have evidence to the contrary. Why would a firm hire a 1L when they can have 2L? Not meant to be snarky, it's a legit question. Oh and if you are asking around at your school for former non-diversity 1L SAs, be sure to eliminate family ties. Hard to spot and people often fail to offer this detail unsolicited.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby bdubs » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 am

dingbat wrote:
bdubs wrote:You probably need to differentiate between diversity programs and regular 1L SAs

How?
(even though I'm a walking diversity statement, I do not qualify for diversity programs)


Diversity SA programs are generally broader than URM for LS admissions, so don't rule them out unless you are a straight white male.

Many firms have pages about diversity programs on their website, but some don't advertise them that way. I would still resume bomb all of the firms in December whether they have hired in the past or not. The marginal time spent on an extra app is small.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:05 am

The Birmingham firms always hire huge 1L classes. They pay about half what the SA's in Atlanta make, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 am

Alston & Bird is increasing the size of its 1L class, at least in the Atlanta office. In Summer '10, Atlanta had 3, in Summer '11, they had 4, and in Summer '12, they had 5. Note that Atlanta does not have a diversity program. All of the 1Ls are hired exactly as the 2Ls are. A&B's strategy appears to be centered around the idea that 1Ls almost always return for round 2, even if they have offers from higher-ranked Vault firms. In Summers '11 and '12, 1Ls in Atlanta made $2600 a week (same as 2Ls).

User avatar
indigomachine
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby indigomachine » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:04 am

bdubs wrote:
dingbat wrote:
bdubs wrote:You probably need to differentiate between diversity programs and regular 1L SAs

How?
(even though I'm a walking diversity statement, I do not qualify for diversity programs)


Diversity SA programs are generally broader than URM for LS admissions, so don't rule them out unless you are a straight white male.

Many firms have pages about diversity programs on their website, but some don't advertise them that way. I would still resume bomb all of the firms in December whether they have hired in the past or not. The marginal time spent on an extra app is small.


On that note, LGBT = diversity for 1L SA type stuff?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:28 am

indigomachine wrote:On that note, LGBT = diversity for 1L SA type stuff?

Yes. Female as well.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby dingbat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:30 am

bk1 wrote:
indigomachine wrote:On that note, LGBT = diversity for 1L SA type stuff?

Yes. Female as well.

Do lesbians get double credit?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Alston & Bird is increasing the size of its 1L class, at least in the Atlanta office. In Summer '10, Atlanta had 3, in Summer '11, they had 4, and in Summer '12, they had 5. Note that Atlanta does not have a diversity program. All of the 1Ls are hired exactly as the 2Ls are. A&B's strategy appears to be centered around the idea that 1Ls almost always return for round 2, even if they have offers from higher-ranked Vault firms. In Summers '11 and '12, 1Ls in Atlanta made $2600 a week (same as 2Ls).


Any chance these Atlanta or Birmingham firms hire outside the T-14 and local schools? Lets say T-30 or T-40 and strong ties to the area.

User avatar
indigomachine
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby indigomachine » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:52 am

dingbat wrote:
bk1 wrote:
indigomachine wrote:On that note, LGBT = diversity for 1L SA type stuff?

Yes. Female as well.

Do lesbians get double credit?


And gay dudes in drag?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Alston & Bird is increasing the size of its 1L class, at least in the Atlanta office. In Summer '10, Atlanta had 3, in Summer '11, they had 4, and in Summer '12, they had 5. Note that Atlanta does not have a diversity program. All of the 1Ls are hired exactly as the 2Ls are. A&B's strategy appears to be centered around the idea that 1Ls almost always return for round 2, even if they have offers from higher-ranked Vault firms. In Summers '11 and '12, 1Ls in Atlanta made $2600 a week (same as 2Ls).


Any chance these Atlanta or Birmingham firms hire outside the T-14 and local schools? Lets say T-30 or T-40 and strong ties to the area.


Re. T-30 or T-40, UGA, Georgia State, Emory, BU, Alabama, Wash U (STL), and UNC have all been represented in the A&B ATL summer class at some point in the last three summers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Re. T-30 or T-40, UGA, Georgia State, Emory, BU, Alabama, Wash U (STL), and UNC have all been represented in the A&B ATL summer class at some point in the last three summers.


Thank you, the BU gives me enough info to give it a shot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:58 am

Jones Day DC had 6 or 7 1L SAs last summer.

User avatar
EvilClinton
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby EvilClinton » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:47 am

bk1 wrote:
indigomachine wrote:On that note, LGBT = diversity for 1L SA type stuff?

Yes. Female as well.

This is not accurate for most of the programs I know. It depends on the firm but the majority are strictly for URMS and LGBT. Honestly, some say they look at gender and socioeconomic status but they honestly only choose people who are facially diverse (with the exception of some LGBT candidates).

User avatar
EvilClinton
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby EvilClinton » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:49 am

kwais wrote:
dingbat wrote:
bdubs wrote:You probably need to differentiate between diversity programs and regular 1L SAs

How?
(even though I'm a walking diversity statement, I do not qualify for diversity programs)


One way is to assume they are all diversity spots until you have evidence to the contrary. Why would a firm hire a 1L when they can have 2L? Not meant to be snarky, it's a legit question. Oh and if you are asking around at your school for former non-diversity 1L SAs, be sure to eliminate family ties. Hard to spot and people often fail to offer this detail unsolicited.

There are alot more than people know about.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby keg411 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:58 am

EvilClinton wrote:
bk1 wrote:
indigomachine wrote:On that note, LGBT = diversity for 1L SA type stuff?

Yes. Female as well.

This is not accurate for most of the programs I know. It depends on the firm but the majority are strictly for URMS and LGBT. Honestly, some say they look at gender and socioeconomic status but they honestly only choose people who are facially diverse (with the exception of some LGBT candidates).


Asian/Indian (non-NA), from all accounts, seem to count as "diversity" for 1L SA's/SEO. I don't know about female, but I'd guess that everything under the SEO umbrella probably counts the same for 1L's. It's definitely not just admission URM's.

User avatar
EvilClinton
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby EvilClinton » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:03 pm

keg411 wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:
bk1 wrote:
indigomachine wrote:On that note, LGBT = diversity for 1L SA type stuff?

Yes. Female as well.

This is not accurate for most of the programs I know. It depends on the firm but the majority are strictly for URMS and LGBT. Honestly, some say they look at gender and socioeconomic status but they honestly only choose people who are facially diverse (with the exception of some LGBT candidates).

Asian/Indian (non-NA), from all accounts, seem to count as "diversity" for 1L SA's/SEO. I don't know about female, but I'd guess that everything under the SEO umbrella probably counts the same for 1L's. It's definitely not just admission URM's.

I suspect they consider asian/indian because they are facially diverse. Firms are all about having the appearance of diversity.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273534
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which firms have paid 1L SAs?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Alston & Bird is increasing the size of its 1L class, at least in the Atlanta office. In Summer '10, Atlanta had 3, in Summer '11, they had 4, and in Summer '12, they had 5. Note that Atlanta does not have a diversity program. All of the 1Ls are hired exactly as the 2Ls are. A&B's strategy appears to be centered around the idea that 1Ls almost always return for round 2, even if they have offers from higher-ranked Vault firms. In Summers '11 and '12, 1Ls in Atlanta made $2600 a week (same as 2Ls).

Do you have actual knowledge that they are increasing the number of 1Ls? Or are you just taking the NALP data and extrapolating? Their 2L class is smaller for this summer and I have heard that they were looking to take fewer 1Ls too. Also A&B does have a diversity position for a 1L. Almost all of the big ATL firms have a diversity SA through an Atlanta Bar Association program.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.