CB ethics/etiquette Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: CB ethics/etiquette

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Simple response:

"I prefer not to answer that question, but I will certainly base my choice of firm on the right fit particularly with respect to [practice/environment/etc]. That's why I am particularly pleased to be interviewing with you at X firm."
Um, nice try. Did you get that out of The Golden Book of Really Shitty Answers that will get you (rightfully) Auto-Dinged?
You got me...

But then, having the balls and level of maturity to say, in effect, "I don't want to answer a question which isn't relevant to my employment at your firm, but I am certainly interested in your firm" says way more about that candidate than the one who comes up with lies or half-truths.
IME, interviewers appreciated that I understood that interviews are really a two-way street and that I didn't have to answer every question or make something up just to have an answer. In a lot of interviews I started asking them questions before they got a chance to go through the usual routine. It didn't do me any harm. Of course, I approached screeners and callbacks like a conversation, not an interrogation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:14 pm

I'd agree with the majority of other posters. Don't lie but certainly massage the facts. "I've interviewed with/I'm looking at a number of firms that do substantive work in [X PRACTICE AREA THAT FIRM IS KNOWN FOR]. As such, your firm definitely stands out in [THAT PRACTICE AREA]."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Simple response:

"I prefer not to answer that question, but I will certainly base my choice of firm on the right fit particularly with respect to [practice/environment/etc]. That's why I am particularly pleased to be interviewing with you at X firm."
Um, nice try. Did you get that out of The Golden Book of Really Shitty Answers that will get you (rightfully) Auto-Dinged?
You got me...

But then, having the balls and level of maturity to say, in effect, "I don't want to answer a question which isn't relevant to my employment at your firm, but I am certainly interested in your firm" says way more about that candidate than the one who comes up with lies or half-truths.
IME, interviewers appreciated that I understood that interviews are really a two-way street and that I didn't have to answer every question or make something up just to have an answer. In a lot of interviews I started asking them questions before they got a chance to go through the usual routine. It didn't do me any harm. Of course, I approached screeners and callbacks like a conversation, not an interrogation.
I can appreciate that point. I think the lie/tell the truth/dodge entirely issue comes down to the firm/interviewer. I've had CBs where I've been entirely honest and I've had interviews in the past where I've dodged the question. It just depended on my relationship with the interviewer and the firm's reputation.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:33 pm

I don't really see the point of lying or "massaging" the facts about the fact that you have one CB. The firm gave you a CB because they think that you're a serious candidate, so they're asking you that question because they're curious, not because they want to assess your qualifications. Answer honestly and mention that you're waiting to hear back from other markets and move on. That whole conversation won't last more that 10 seconds and probably won't be what sticks in the recruiter's mind after the CB. I think dodging the question may actually draw more negative attention to the question and could hurt you (could make you come off as unsure of yourself, etc.).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:39 pm

I got asked this question and said something like "I'm still going through the OCI process and there are a few firms similar to yours in [market] I'm following up with but it is still pretty early in the recruiting season." As long as you haven't been rejected from every firm at OCI and you are mass mailing, this is a true statement. It seemed to be decently well-received and I got an offer from the firm, but your mileage may vary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:02 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:I don't really see the point of lying or "massaging" the facts about the fact that you have one CB. The firm gave you a CB because they think that you're a serious candidate, so they're asking you that question because they're curious, not because they want to assess your qualifications. Answer honestly and mention that you're waiting to hear back from other markets and move on. That whole conversation won't last more that 10 seconds and probably won't be what sticks in the recruiter's mind after the CB. I think dodging the question may actually draw more negative attention to the question and could hurt you (could make you come off as unsure of yourself, etc.).
No no no no no. If your CB is in Philly, you've been interviewing with other Philly firms. If asked if you're interviewing in NY, downplay it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”