C and F Issue Advice Needed!!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

C and F Issue Advice Needed!!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:57 pm

So basically I was stopped and given a ticket for underage consumption/open container I honestly cannot remember which one. I was walking on a sidewalk on campus. This was probably 5 years ago and I was nineteen at the time. I basically did a pre-trial diversion where I completed 8 hours of community service and after the service was completed everything was dropped. I called the university both student affairs and campus police, local pd and county courthouse I cannot find any record of the incident. I do however remember doing some type of Alcohol Awarness program where basically I went in to student affairs for like 30 mins filled out some worksheets about drinking etc... There was supposed to be a registration hold on my account, however Im not sure there was ever a hold and student affairs has no record of it anywhere. I applied fall 2011 and was accepted to my main choice the C&F section on the app states

"Have you ever been subjected to disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons by any college, university, graduate or professional school? (If yes, please electronically attach an explanation.)" To which I answered no.

It also asks. "Have you ever been convicted, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to any crime (including DUI or DWI) other than a minor traffic offense? (If yes, please electronically attach an explanation.) You are not required to report any arrest or conviction for acts committed for which the record has been expunged or sealed, or any arrest or conviction for which you have received a pardon. However, be aware that these arrests or convictions may have to be reported to state bar committees." Again I answered no.

So my question is if I reapply to the same school this fall 2012, should I disclose this information? If so, what should I write? I do not want to sound like I dont care about the situation because I dont really have any detailed information but I also do not want to have to worry about some problems when I take the bar. Would a registration hold be considered disciplinary action?

Anonymous User

Re: C and F Issue Advice Needed!!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:14 pm

I would email your schools dean, get the answer from him/her. Then answer accordingly. At least then you have legitimate plausible deniability, you asked and did what your school told you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Anyone Else have any insight??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:49 pm

How do you think it will be viewed by admissions if I reapply and answer yes? What should I write in an addendum?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:03 pm

Find out from your dean of students' office. Once armed with the answer, call admissions and ask if it should be disclosed. I had a similar experience, that's what I did, and everything turned out fine for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Find out from your dean of students' office. Once armed with the answer, call admissions and ask if it should be disclosed. I had a similar experience, that's what I did, and everything turned out fine for me.

I have spoken with student affairs they said there was no way for them to tell if the hold was ever on my record. I cannot remember specifically if I ever had the hold placed or not. Guess I could just email someone in admissions and see what the right answer should be. Stupid question but what would you say in an email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:20 pm

I was the first guy to respond.

Speak with your undergrads Dean of Students, not the people at the desk. You might get a very different response. That was my experience.

And I would call the admission office at your school, not email them at first. But do so after you have spoken with your undergraduate dean; otherwise you will seeem unprepared.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:32 pm

You know, you might want to hire a lawyer who practices where you were arrestetd to double check, but you probably were not convicted, did not plea guilty or nolo contendere - you probably entered into a pre-plea agreement with the prosecutor that was accepted by the court, and the charges likely were dropped once you completed your little "class" - there might even be a statute that governed the procedure. A record does exist, somewhere - probably with the prosecutor and probably the court, but it may be sealed - hence why it didn't turn up with a casual clerk search. (You may find, now and once you practice, Court Clerks don't really want to help you unless you know exactly what you are looking for, they are busy enough). A local lawyer could answer your question for sure, and get a good answer from the clerk.

You could always answer yes, explain in detail everything you know about what happened, say you tried to obtain records from X, Y, and Z, and were told none exist, and say you are not sure if your situation required a yes answer but you've learned that it is better to disclose when in doubt. Say your prior application omitted that information, but that in the interest of full disclosure you want to amend your prior application with your revised answer. These incidents are very minor and common, and your explanation for not saying yes before is plausible - you tried to obtain records and people told you there were none. No one will care, at all.

All these people saying go the dean, etc., I don't know - just say yes on the app, explain as I mentioned, say you want to amend prior application, and you'll never hear about this again. Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:43 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:You know, you might want to hire a lawyer who practices where you were arrestetd to double check, but you probably were not convicted, did not plea guilty or nolo contendere - you probably entered into a pre-plea agreement with the prosecutor that was accepted by the court, and the charges likely were dropped once you completed your little "class" - there might even be a statute that governed the procedure. A record does exist, somewhere - probably with the prosecutor and probably the court, but it may be sealed - hence why it didn't turn up with a casual clerk search. (You may find, now and once you practice, Court Clerks don't really want to help you unless you know exactly what you are looking for, they are busy enough). A local lawyer could answer your question for sure, and get a good answer from the clerk.

You could always answer yes, explain in detail everything you know about what happened, say you tried to obtain records from X, Y, and Z, and were told none exist, and say you are not sure if your situation required a yes answer but you've learned that it is better to disclose when in doubt. Say your prior application omitted that information, but that in the interest of full disclosure you want to amend your prior application with your revised answer. These incidents are very minor and common, and your explanation for not saying yes before is plausible - you tried to obtain records and people told you there were none. No one will care, at all.

All these people saying go the dean, etc., I don't know - just say yes on the app, explain as I mentioned, say you want to amend prior application, and you'll never hear about this again. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the response. Im not so worried about answering yes to ever being convicted because the questions states that I do not have to answer yes if the charges were sealed dropped... I am more concerned about whether or not the hold was on my record and if this would be considered discipline from my university. I never had to deal with a prosecutor or anything went to circuit clerks office, signed up for the community service and that was it. The alcohol awareness thing was only to remove the hold from my record but I swear I do not think the hold ever existed. I cant remember if the citation was from Uni pd or local pd and there seems to be no record of it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:30 am

OP here. I know that disclosing is the right answer, would you address the fact that I omitted this information on my previous application or bring it up and just state why I did? I dont want them to think I was intentionally trying to hid anything but I also dont want to bring it up either if its not necessary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:40 pm

bump. Should I address this on my new app or not?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:11 pm

So basically I was stopped and given a ticket for underage consumption/open container I honestly cannot remember which one. I was walking on a sidewalk on campus. This was probably 5 years ago and I was nineteen at the time. I basically did a pre-trial diversion where I completed 8 hours of community service and after the service was completed everything was dropped. I called the university both student affairs and campus police, local pd and county courthouse I cannot find any record of the incident.

All of this applies to me too - same type of ticket, same type of program, same inability to find a record of it now. I disclosed on my law school applications and then disclosed on C&F after I graduated. For each, I wrote a paragraph that pretty closely mirrored what you wrote. It never created a problem that I know of (i.e. nobody ever asked me any follow up questions).

I think you absolutely should disclose on this year's application. It doesn't hurt to disclose. If they ask why you didn't disclose the previous year, just explain that you'd forgotten about it because so much time had gone by, etc. If you don't disclose, though, and someone finds out about it (especially in the C&F stage), it could look really bad.

Return to “Legal Employment”