Exit options for private vs. public M&A

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exit options for private vs. public M&A

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Curious if anyone has any insight/experience that might shed some light on how exit options differ between these (similar) practices. I'm debating between an offer at a V5 where the M&A work would be more public and a different firm where the group does solely private M&A. Assuming both are otherwise high quality practices, is there an appreciable difference between exit options?

To add another angle to it, the exit I'm most interested in would be something like in-house at a large tech company. Since most major tech companies are serial acquirers of small privately held companies I would think that they would be less concerned about a lack of public M&A experience, but maybe they still value the experience as it relates to their own regulatory issues?

AP-375

Re: Exit options for private vs. public M&A

Postby AP-375 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Interested in this as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Holiday bump. Surely some of you corporate folks have a take on this...

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Bump because I'd like to know this too. I assume you can go in-house at large public companies or smaller private companies with either, but you develop specific relationships with larger in-house departments in a public M&A practice.

Return to “Legal Employment”