Anecdotal experience for the data starved...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anecdotal experience for the data starved...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:48 am

This is all anecdotal (first or second hand... no 'friend of a friend'), so take it with a grain of salt. However, I thought I'd share for those who find *any* data point to be useful. Generalize at your own risk.

For myself, I was c/o 2011 T14/median/secondary/WE. Summered at non-elite boutique, offer rescinded due to economy. I never tried to get back into law. As soon as my start date was postponed, I started looking for a corporate gig and found one in my previous field (general business... nothing too specialized). Law degree was not an issue in my search. Always a point of curiosity, but for me, I suspect the 'name' value of my law school helped the degree to be an asset. If for no other reason than as a sign of intelligence (deserved or not). Having passed the bar was key however, as that question always followed 'why didn't you want to do law?'. Am doing well enough that I never sought to get back into the legal field, but I do sometimes wonder if I'm missing out.

At my school:
- Most who managed to 2L summer are doing fine. Start dates were spread out, but most were honored. They work hard (particularly NYC), but few seem burned out. I see a lot of FB status updates about how hard they're working.
- A handful who went to Dewey or Howrey have generally landed on their feet at other Vault firms.
- A few who went to either NYU or Georgetown for Tax LLM were able to parlay the extra recruiting period into biglaw.
- A couple who simply struck out 2L summer were able to secure biglaw in 3L or postgrad. One of these was at a V10 firm HQ, the other at NLJ250 paying near market.
- Bottom third are struggling relative (no surprise), but mostly able to find gainful legal employment in small firms.

Among my older friends:
- Many are doing well in top-level legal careers (e.g. have made the transition to good in-house or surviving in biglaw). A couple have even made partner (it can be done!).
- A non-trivial number have been the unwilling victims of attrition. The disturbing aspect of this is that it often has seemed relatively arbitrary (from the outsider perspective). Perhaps they were terrible lawyers, but as far as I could tell, they did not have social issues and many had sterling credentials (T14/Coif/LR/V10/etc.). Most have just moved to mid or small law, but a couple are now out of law completely.

Hope this is at least marginally informative.

r6_philly

Re: Anecdotal experience for the data starved...

Postby r6_philly » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks for sharing! How did your older friends make partner so quick? Really curious.

Return to “Legal Employment”