Accept offer before clerkship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accept offer before clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Is there any reason to accept an SA offer before a clerkship if the firm will hold the offer open?

Emma.

Gold

Re: Accept offer before clerkship?

Post by Emma. » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any reason to accept an SA offer before a clerkship if the firm will hold the offer open?
Bar stipend?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:10 am

On a related note: is there a good way to figure out which firms do hold offers open throughout a clerkship? Is this the common practice, or do only a select few do it?

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm curious about the answer to this last question. Do firms typically:

1) Get you to accept an offer first, and then just let you defer your start date (while still being bound to go work there later) if you get a clerkship? OR

2) Allow you to wait in deciding whether to accept the offer until the end of your clerkship?

Which of these is the norm? Does it vary? I'd love to get more information on this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:58 am

My understanding (and the way it works at my firm) is once you accept a clerkship, your firm offer "expires," with the understanding that a new offer will be extended towards the end of your clerkship. Many judges do not allow you to have accepted an offer while clerking, and even if they do it is still probably easier not to.

FWIW, my firm will not pay the bar stipend until you join as an associate following your clerkship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:33 am

This is not the first time that this has been addressed here... but here it goes:

First, this all generally depends on your judge. Judges can be quite different in their policies. Here's pretty much the different variations:

(a) Your judge does not allow you to have an open offer. You tell your firm this and there is an understanding that the offer will be re-extended towards the end of your clerkship.

(b) Your judge allows you to have an open offer. Your firm extends you an offer and it remains open until the end of your clerkship.

(c) Your judge allows you to accept an offer.

(d) Your judge allows you to accept an offer and to receive money (bar stipend, etc.) from your firm. Even if your judge allows this, you are not permitted to receive a salary advance.

My first judge falls under category (a) and I have no idea about my second judge's policy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Obviously you do whatever your judge prefers. But my judge (and others for whom my friends are clerking) have said they don't care one way or the other and it is up to the clerk. In that case, is there a dis/advantage to one path over others?
Anonymous User wrote:This is not the first time that this has been addressed here... but here it goes:

First, this all generally depends on your judge. Judges can be quite different in their policies. Here's pretty much the different variations:

(a) Your judge does not allow you to have an open offer. You tell your firm this and there is an understanding that the offer will be re-extended towards the end of your clerkship.

(b) Your judge allows you to have an open offer. Your firm extends you an offer and it remains open until the end of your clerkship.

(c) Your judge allows you to accept an offer.

(d) Your judge allows you to accept an offer and to receive money (bar stipend, etc.) from your firm. Even if your judge allows this, you are not permitted to receive a salary advance.

My first judge falls under category (a) and I have no idea about my second judge's policy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”