8 hour callback: staying alert?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

8 hour callback: staying alert?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:08 pm

One of my upcoming callbacks is 8 hours. The firm is a bit of a stretch for me. Other than drinking massive amounts of coffee (my only real strategy at this point), how do you recommend staying eager, attentive, and interested for 8 straight hours?

I had a 4-5 hour callback last year, and by the end I was just ready to throw in the towel. Does anyone have any tricks or advice?

pinkcamellia

Re: 8 hour callback: staying alert?

Postby pinkcamellia » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Get good rest, drink a 5 hour energy if you must. If you know your interviewers ahead of time, look them up and come up with questions for each of them. During the interviews, try to work those questions in. Looking for those opportunities should keep you stay attentive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:22 pm

I also have a long callback and my plan is to carry a caffeine pill with me and take it during a bathroom break

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also have a long callback and my plan is to carry a caffeine pill with me and take it during a bathroom break

Bathroom breaks aren't billable. Sign of weakness. Auto-ding.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I also have a long callback and my plan is to carry a caffeine pill with me and take it during a bathroom break

I know you're joking, but I would agree. Unless it's actually 8 hours of meeting people in offices, I wouldn't ask to use the bathroom unless it is offered.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:33 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:I know you're joking, but I would agree. Unless it's actually 8 hours of meeting people in offices, I wouldn't ask to use the bathroom unless it is offered.

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

I know you're joking, but I would agree. Unless it's actually 8 hours of meeting people in offices, I wouldn't ask to use the bathroom unless it is offered.

You're an idiot

User has been outed and warned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:25 am

I recently went through this. You know what keeps you alert by this point in your life so just go with that (caffeine, adrenalin, etc.). It can get monotonous to ask the same questions to every interviewer so I had list of some basic questions prepared and then just saw where the conversation went; asking follow-up questions based on the interviewers' answer is a good way to 1) show interest, 2) show you can have a real conversation, and 3) keep the interviews interesting for yourself so you stay engaged the whole day. That's really the only tip I have. It is definitely a long day but it's really no different from other CBs, just more interviews.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:21 am

Ludacrispat26 wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

You're an idiot

I had one cb last year at a V100 regional office where they gave me a schedule of lower level people and then had the senior partners meet me as I was walking between offices without telling me in advance. If I had been asking to use the bathroom, I would have shortened my time with them. One of the associates I became friendly with after said they did it because the partners were too busy for 20 min blocks.

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:45 am

Ludacrispat26 wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

You're an idiot

lol seriously? my comment is pretty much of the same kind of the fry meme above, just put more straightforward. but whatevz, i didn't even mean to post that anonymously so an outing doesnt matter.

anyway, you interview with humans. humans are animals. within a span of 8 hours, it is totally, totally fine to ask someone where a bathroom is. if you're the type of person who thinks that's why someone could get dinged, you might be getting dinged because you're the crazy type of person who thinks that.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:lol seriously? my comment is pretty much of the same kind of the fry meme above, just put more straightforward. but whatevz, i didn't even mean to post that anonymously so an outing doesnt matter.

Yes seriously. Be more careful when clicking the post button because we do not tolerate people using anon to attack other posters. I don't particularly care whether you did it on purpose or on accident because I don't have time to ferret out that bs.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:54 pm

You can ask to use the bathroom while walking from one interview to another. Christ almighty. It's a callback, not a gulag.

Return to “Legal Employment”