Any Responses from Thank You Emails?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any Responses from Thank You Emails?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Hey all,

When you have emailed your interviewers to say thank you etc, have you gotten any responses? If yes/no did you get an offer from that firm? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Any Responses from Thank You Emails?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:07 pm

3 firms thank you'd.
1 complete silence (still waiting to hear)
other 2, one response (rejected at both). >.<

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

When you have emailed your interviewers to say thank you etc, have you gotten any responses? If yes/no did you get an offer from that firm? Thanks.

3L here. I only sent thank-you emails after one callback. Got a response from one of my five interviewers. Got an offer. But also got offers at firms whose attorneys I never sent one thank-you email to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:12 pm

My school advises against sending thank yous at any point in this process. Maybe I'm just drinking our Kool-Aid but I think that's the way to go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My school advises against sending thank yous at any point in this process. Maybe I'm just drinking our Kool-Aid but I think that's the way to go?

I can understand that thinking for a lot of reasons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:31 pm

I sent out at least one thank you (in some cases four) for each callback I had. I'm 5/5 for offers.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

I did a lot of handwritten cards. I sent emails to one firm and they told me that I was a finalist and to push hard for a job when I came back. I still haven't heard from them about coming back...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:00 am

I've sent thank you notes to every interviewer, and have sometimes gotten responses. Doesn't seem to be a correlation between whether they responded and whether I got an offer (but small sample size). Still, I think it's important to send them! They spent time that they could have been actually doing their work to give you an opportunity, and it's only polite to express your appreciation for that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:16 pm

I'm an interviewer. Sometimes I respond to thank you emails and sometimes I don't. It has nothing to do with whether or not I like the candidate and everything to do with how busy I am at that particular moment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:22 pm

6/6 on CBs --> Offers so far. No thank yous at screener or CB phase. In fact, during one interview, I had one attorney explicitly say that s/he hated receiving thank you emails. My .02, FWIW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:29 pm

8 offers, including 4 v10 firms. Didn't send a single thank you at any point in the process.
Hasn't seemed to hurt me much, FWIW.

Anonymous User wrote:6/6 on CBs --> Offers so far. No thank yous at screener or CB phase. In fact, during one interview, I had one attorney explicitly say that s/he hated receiving thank you emails. My .02, FWIW.

How did hating thank you notes come up in an interview?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:57 pm

It's a personal preference. I expect people I interview send them to me (yes I am old fashioned when it comes to hiring in my previous career), so I will do what I expect. But I don't think it has any bearing on your candidacy. I get response on about 90% of them, some times it will take a while.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:8 offers, including 4 v10 firms. Didn't send a single thank you at any point in the process.
Hasn't seemed to hurt me much, FWIW.

Anonymous User wrote:6/6 on CBs --> Offers so far. No thank yous at screener or CB phase. In fact, during one interview, I had one attorney explicitly say that s/he hated receiving thank you emails. My .02, FWIW.

How did hating thank you notes come up in an interview?

Not to hijack the thread but how the hell did you have the patience to get 8 offers? I cancelled most of my CBs after the 2nd offer. WHERE DO YOU FIND THE MOTIVATION TO KEEP INTERVIEWING?!?!

tengorazon

Postby tengorazon » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:21 am

I hardly ever respond to them unless someone asks me a question. I'm also not offended if I never receive one. Conversely, I have had a partner tell me that he thought someone's thank-you e-mail was "trying too hard."

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:28 am

If there is any controversy as to whether thank you emails are necessary for callbacks, they are absolutely not necessary for screeners. Jesus.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:31 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:15 pm

I apologize if the answer to this question is obvious, but one of my CB's (new lateral partner at the firm) said as we were walking to the next interview "and don't worry about sending me a "thank you" email.

Now, not reading into what that means for my employment, BUT is that actually "don't send me a thank you," or is this akin to "no birthday gifts this year."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize if the answer to this question is obvious, but one of my CB's (new lateral partner at the firm) said as we were walking to the next interview "and don't worry about sending me a "thank you" email.

Now, not reading into what that means for my employment, BUT is that actually "don't send me a thank you," or is this akin to "no birthday gifts this year."

I had two interviewers explicitly tell me no thank yous necessary. Got an offer, and they're basically begging me to come there. I think if they say that, they mean it. Otherwise, they'll think you didn't listen or are just a complete suckup.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize if the answer to this question is obvious, but one of my CB's (new lateral partner at the firm) said as we were walking to the next interview "and don't worry about sending me a "thank you" email.

I would take what he said at face value.

I recently had a CB where I connected with some, but not all, of the interviewers on a more personal level. In any case, I sent an email to the recruiter, and asked her to extend my thanks to my interviewers. Partly it was because the recruiter had been nice enough to give me some times about the particular interviewers before the interview, which was a nice thing to do. The recruiter emailed me back within the hour with a response (and an updated timeline on their decision process).

Anyway, the timeline extends into next week on the response, so I can't say whether a response means anything. I would say just don't bother trying to read anything into it. The die has been cast. You'll either get an offer or a rejection. Best to move on an put your time and energy on husting for another opportunity.

Return to “Legal Employment”