Only 1 V20 CB from managing partner screener: good chance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Only 1 V20 CB from managing partner screener: good chance?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:45 pm

Unfortunately, I was not blessed with multiple callbacks this interview season. But in one of my few acquired from a job fair, I found out my screener was the managing partner of the firm's NYC office (and the firm's largest, though the firm has no official HQ - yeah, I've narrowed this down to probably 2-3 firms). This firm is one of the largest firms in the nation but does not currently have anyone from my school (one of the "super regionals") - which rarely places in the NYC market. My grades, though very good, make this firm somewhat of a reach.

Basically, this is the only good international firm that called me back. The others are all midsized and small firms in my home market, boring enough to make me reconsider law school if that's all I get. I really want to think that I have a good shot at this V20 because I was screened through preselect and then interviewed directly with the firm's managing partner. He himself called me back. I also really want to be in NYC but only went there for the first time for the job fair.

mr_toad

Re: Only 1 V20 CB from managing partner screener: good chance?

Postby mr_toad » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Not sure what you want here. You've been called back which means you have as good a chance as nearly anyone else. Large firm is going to take a lot of people, and maybe there's a partner at the firm from your law school who'd like to see someone pulled every year or three. Treat it like you would any other CB, prepare to kill the interview, and stop worrying about your chances: they depend on too many things. If you have a CB, you have a 20-75% chance of an offer, so why waste time worrying about the exact odds of something that depends primarily on how well you interview?

IFoughtTheLaw

Re: Only 1 V20 CB from managing partner screener: good chance?

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:50 pm

mr_toad wrote:Not sure what you want here. You've been called back which means you have as good a chance as nearly anyone else. Large firm is going to take a lot of people, and maybe there's a partner at the firm from your law school who'd like to see someone pulled every year or three. Treat it like you would any other CB, prepare to kill the interview, and stop worrying about your chances: they depend on too many things. If you have a CB, you have a 20-75% chance of an offer, so why waste time worrying about the exact odds of something that depends primarily on how well you interview?

+1.

I think only one firm fits your description, which for Columbia Law School students in 2011 resulted in 18 offers out of 28 callbacks, or around 64% odds.

While you do not go to Columbia, the firm would not waste its time calling you back if they were just going to reject you for grades or your school. That said, you may have to impress slightly more. But as the above poster said, just focus on being prepared and having good conversations with everyone.

I doubt it matters that the partner who called you back is the managing partner. He's just going to be one of five votes, essentially. If it was the hiring partner, I think it might have given you more of a boost, since that guy would be reviewing your entire file when deciding to extend an offer and could argue for giving you an offer.

Just prepare for the worst (i.e. be prepared, and have back-up options) and hope for the best. I'd say you have at least a 50% shot. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”