Worried about striking out at OCI/CB, what next?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worried about striking out at OCI/CB, what next?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:50 pm

I am a rising 2L at a lower T14 and I am getting increasingly anxious about striking out after OCI and call backs.
No LR, no WE and mediocre grades, URM (not AA)
Only about 1/4 of the firms I bid invited me back. I have very recently done a couple of cb's (but have not heard back) and have a few more cb's to do. Got plenty of rejections post OCI but still waiting to hear yay or nay from some firms that screened me.
I am scared of striking out. What is left if one does not get a firm job? I don't care about the pay, I just want a job.
What paths have OCI strike outs taken? I think it will be virtually impossible to land a job via mass mailing. I am even willing to do something besides law when I graduate, but don't know what to do.
Starting to get desperate. Any ideas from those who have been there/done that?
All ideas (besides mass mailing are appreciated)

bk1

Re: Worried about striking out at OCI/CB, what next?

Postby bk1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:53 pm

You should still be mass mailing (you should have been doing this from the start). It's a numbers game. Focus on acing your CBs as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:59 pm

bk1 wrote:You should still be mass mailing (you should have been doing this from the start). It's a numbers game. Focus on acing your CBs as well.

Advice for acing cbs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Presuming even mass mailing doesn't go well -- is there a good place on TLS to find timelines for PI/Gov't, or is this very individualized? Are these two sectors where most non-firm people go for 2L summer if not a firm? What about in-house?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:You should still be mass mailing (you should have been doing this from the start). It's a numbers game. Focus on acing your CBs as well.

Advice for acing cbs?

Normal research the firm stuff, polish your interview skills, etc.

Anonymous User wrote:Presuming even mass mailing doesn't go well -- is there a good place on TLS to find timelines for PI/Gov't, or is this very individualized?

Check with your CSO for this stuff. I know mine has it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Yea advice for acing cb's?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:57 pm

OP here.
How can mass mailing work well? With a mass mailing you are a piece of paper without a personality. At least during a screening interview, the interviewer can see a little of your personality. Unless someone has a very high gpa and super credentials, I would think the mass mailed letter will go straight to the trash can. And I don'thave super credentials, nor a high law school gpa. But, I do have some personality and make a very good appearance, so I am hoping an interview will do it for me.
Mass mailing seems like winning a lottery; you mail 1000 letters and hope to get one interview. Am I missing something about mass mailing? Everyone on TLS seems to be a big fan of mass mailing and I just don't agree that works. Did anyone ever get good results from mass mailing (this excludes resume drop which some schools have).

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.
How can mass mailing work well? With a mass mailing you are a piece of paper without a personality. At least during a screening interview, the interviewer can see a little of your personality. Unless someone has a very high gpa and super credentials, I would think the mass mailed letter will go straight to the trash can. And I don'thave super credentials, nor a high law school gpa. But, I do have some personality and make a very good appearance, so I am hoping an interview will do it for me.
Mass mailing seems like winning a lottery; you mail 1000 letters and hope to get one interview. Am I missing something about mass mailing? Everyone on TLS seems to be a big fan of mass mailing and I just don't agree that works. Did anyone ever get good results from mass mailing (this excludes resume drop which some schools have).

Let me try and explain a few things about mass mailing:

1) First and foremost, you describe it as "winning the lottery," and in the sense that the rate of return is 1/30 or 1/60, you're not wrong. But the flip side is, you only need ONE offer. At the end of the day, getting a job through OCI means that ONE screener led to ONE callback which produced ONE offer. It doesn't feel this way because you're doing a lot of screeners, but no firm gives you an offer based on the number of screeners, or how well you did at some other screener. When you think about it this way, that 1/60 is invaluable.

2) It's hard to emphasize the number of callbacks that probably go south. Some number will turn out to be able to "hold it together" for only 20 minutes and break into blathering idiots during a 4 hour callback. Another group will simply be uninterested by the time they get to that firm's callback (maybe they have other offers, maybe they're rethinking biglaw). Another group will turn out to have been "overly optimistic" about something of their resume (e.g. I wrote down "Law Review" because I thought I was a shoe in, but I didn't make it...). Still others will cancel their callbacks all together because they already got an offer from their first choice. Firms need a way to generate new callbacks, and mass mailed resumes is as good a way as any.

3) The OCI process is somewhat ridiculous in that all offices cannot go to all schools. A mass-mailed resume to the NY office isn't such a long shot when you think about the fact that no one from the NY office even made it out to some of the T14 in the first place; instead they're left with the word of the people from the LA or Chicago offices who actually do screening interviews...and frankly have been known to be wrong before.

4) Hiring patterns can actually change DURING OCI. It's not unusual for firms to suddenly cancel a bunch of interviews, or to add a bunch more when their hiring needs suddenly change (At my school's OCI we had 2 firms add slots and 1 firm drop slots while OCI was ongoing). If your resume gets to them when they see their needs changing, there's a chance they'll look at it.

5) To be perfectly honest: you are at a T14, and in most of the country that means *something.* Even if your grades aren't super-duper, the name of your school alone will probably ensure a cursory glance before a round-filing.

6) Finally: there is NOTHING to lose from mass mailing, and EVERYTHING to gain (you only need ONE offer), so why not do it so long as you don't have an offer?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:44 pm

^pretty much that

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 pm

I'd also throw in government, just in case. DOJ SLIP is due September 4.

Return to “Legal Employment”