Stroock Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stroock

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:03 am

Has anyone who had a callback with them this week heard back?

Anonymous User

Re: Stroock

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:57 am

How long after your screener did you get your CB? What would you guess is the longest time between screener and CB call? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long after your screener did you get your CB? What would you guess is the longest time between screener and CB call? Thanks.
Not the above poster, but I got my CB 48 hours after my screener. Haven't heard of anyone else at my school getting a CB or a ding, so I'm not sure what the longest time would be.
I have a CB this week. If anyone has done a CB there/worked there, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:34 am

I am a second year associate at Stroock if anybody has questions. It's a great place to work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a second year associate at Stroock if anybody has questions. It's a great place to work.
Thanks for taking questions! What do you like best about Stroock? Least? Any tips on CB/what the firm is looking for?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a second year associate at Stroock if anybody has questions. It's a great place to work.
Thanks for taking q's! Why did you pick Stroock over other firms? How has it met (or failed to meet) your expectations? Would you do it again?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Do they ask you to pick a practice area heading into the summer program, or can you get work from different departments? Did you have a strong practice area preference that you expressed in your CB? Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Long shot, but do you have any recollection of how long it took to get an offer after your callback? Had one a week ago tomorrow and am hoping I haven't heard back yet because of the holiday..who knows though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Long shot, but do you have any recollection of how long it took to get an offer after your callback? Had one a week ago tomorrow and am hoping I haven't heard back yet because of the holiday..who knows though
I think it was around 48 hours. That said, I don't know what their schedule is. I may have just had my interview right before the hiring committee met.
Do they ask you to pick a practice area heading into the summer program, or can you get work from different departments? Did you have a strong practice area preference that you expressed in your CB? Thanks
They have you rank 1st, 2nd, 3rd preference (both before and after the summer). I got my first choice.
hanks for taking q's! Why did you pick Stroock over other firms? How has it met (or failed to meet) your expectations? Would you do it again?
To be honest, it was the only CB I did before Lehman collapsed. Came up short on all 5 of my post Lehman CBs. However, I couldn't have picked a better place to start, so it worked out just fine. I will say it was the only firm I interviewed at where there weren't any awkward interviews- I clicked with the people much better.
Thanks for taking questions! What do you like best about Stroock? Least? Any tips on CB/what the firm is looking for?
Like best: Wonderful people. Interesting work. Reasonable hours (I average about 55hrs a week).
Like least: Management isn't terribly transparent- but I suppose it's there prerogative not to be.
What the firm is looking for: At the CB stage it's mostly fit. Keep in mind that most of the interviewers are either associates like myself or partners. They aren't professional HR people. We just try to figure out whether the candidate is someone we would enjoy working with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:15 pm

How collegial is the firm?

Do you socialize often with other associates and partners?

How is the firm's diversity?

Thanks again!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:02 pm

How collegial is the firm?

Do you socialize often with other associates and partners?

How is the firm's diversity?

Thanks again!
The firm is very collegial. People work very well together and often bounce ideas off each other.

I socialize fairly regularly with other associates outside of work. Partners will take me out to lunch on occasion. However, there is no obligation (explicit or implicit) to go out with people outside of work.

The firm makes a real effort to promote diversity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 pm

You already spoke to diversity, but can you shed any light on life for women at the firm? Not just maternity leave stuff, but if there's a strong male culture or if women/men seem to socialize easily.
Also, any idea how many CB Stroock does (CB/offer ratio)?
Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:24 pm

You already spoke to diversity, but can you shed any light on life for women at the firm? Not just maternity leave stuff, but if there's a strong male culture or if women/men seem to socialize easily.
Also, any idea how many CB Stroock does (CB/offer ratio)?
Thanks!
There is not a strong male culture at all. The culture is pretty much the opposite of macho/fratty.

No clue on CB/offer ratio.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The culture is pretty much the opposite of macho/fratty.
Mind elaborating on this a little?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The culture is pretty much the opposite of macho/fratty.
Mind elaborating on this a little?
I'm also with Stroock.

I find that it's fairly laid back, with few tempers/egomaniacs.

They also strongly encourage an open door policy.

I got my offer around a week after the CB, but it was somewhat later in the season.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:23 pm

I enjoyed my callback with Stroock, especially the people there, but am having a hard time choosing it over more prestigious and well-rounded firms, especially those with international work (think Shearman/Milbank/Proskauer). Is there anything about the firm which in your eyes would make it a more attractive option than the firms listed above, with emphasis on job security, quality of life, and exit options?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Any updates on offers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Do all morning CBs include lunch? When I scheduled, they didn't mention it. Not sure if that means there isn't one or if I should assume there is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do all morning CBs include lunch? When I scheduled, they didn't mention it. Not sure if that means there isn't one or if I should assume there is.
Mine did not.

Also, I was one of their first CBs about two weeks ago, and they said it would take awhile before they started making offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:59 pm

updates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:updates?
Do we know whether they do waves or just rolling offers?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:54 am

Still nothing? Do they wait to see everyone/a large number of people before making decisions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still nothing? Do they wait to see everyone/a large number of people before making decisions?
It seems like they haven't made offers, yet. Has anyone heard of any?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Mail ding today. Interviewed about two weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Sorry to hear. Thanks for the info.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”