7 callbacks with V15s, worth doing one with a v30? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

7 callbacks with V15s, worth doing one with a v30?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:30 pm

So as the subject says, I have 7 cbs with V15s.

I really liked interviewing with the v30ish firm, and they want to schedule a callback. Although I feel like it would be impolite for me to decline a callback, I do honestly feel like it would be hard for me to take them over one of the v15s. A pro for not doing a callback: is it better to not waste their time?

Great firm, great people though. Perhaps I am reading too much into rankings? Thanks TLS posters for your advice (and even for the hate that I'll probably receive from some of you)

FYI - I do have 4 other CBs in the v50ish range that I have already scheduled, so I am not worried that I won't receive any job at all. That is, i don't feel the need to schedule the v30 firm as a "back up"

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: 7 callbacks with V15s, worth doing one with a v30?

Post by thesealocust » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:33 pm

I believe the TLS record is getting 0 job offers from 13 callbacks.

You feelin' lucky?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:37 pm

deleted

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So as the subject says, I have 7 cbs with V15s.

I really liked interviewing with the v30ish firm, and they want to schedule a callback. Although I feel like it would be impolite for me to decline a callback, I do honestly feel like it would be hard for me to take them over one of the v15s. A pro for not doing a callback: is it better to not waste their time?

Great firm, great people though. Perhaps I am reading too much into rankings? Thanks TLS posters for your advice (and even for the hate that I'll probably receive from some of you)

FYI - I do have 4 other CBs in the v50ish range that I have already scheduled, so I am not worried that I won't receive any job at all. That is, i don't feel the need to schedule the v30 firm as a "back up"
dude, you have 7 CBs with V15s. why the FUCK would you schedule a callback with a V30? it's not impolite to decline; Williams & Connolly know that you are WAY out of their league.

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:49 pm

FLAMMMMEEEE-ASSSSHOLLLLLEEE*EEEEEE

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:49 pm

Talking about choosing between firms before you have an offer, smart stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Definitely schedule the CB (a) because you don't have a job yet and (b) you might end up liking it more than the V15 firms. I picked a satellite office of a V50-V75 firm over a V15 HQ and a V10 and couldn't be happier about my decision. There are plenty of good reasons to pick a lower-ranked firm (people, QOL, practice group strengths, location, opportunities for early experience, lower leverage, etc.) and plenty of bad reasons to pick a higher-ranked firm (prestige, TLS groupthink).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Definitely schedule the CB (a) because you don't have a job yet and (b) you might end up liking it more than the V15 firms. I picked a satellite office of a V50-V75 firm over a V15 HQ and a V10 and couldn't be happier about my decision. There are plenty of good reasons to pick a lower-ranked firm (people, QOL, practice group strengths, location, opportunities for early experience, lower leverage, etc.) and plenty of bad reasons to pick a higher-ranked firm (prestige, TLS groupthink).
OP here. Thanks for the advice; makes a lot of sense.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:28 am

Is the vault rank really all that matters to you? Tsk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:34 am

When you get Dewey'd after your 2L SA, you'll want to have made contact with as many firms as possible.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:07 am

You could get no-offered, cold-offered, laid off, stealthed, straight-up hate it, the firm could dissolve... if any of those things happen, you'll wish there were more firms that offered you in the past.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:22 am

IAFG wrote:You could get no-offered, cold-offered, laid off, stealthed, straight-up hate it, the firm could dissolve... if any of those things happen, you'll wish there were more firms that offered you in the past.
Is that right? Would a firm look kindly upon the fact that you turned them down before?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:You could get no-offered, cold-offered, laid off, stealthed, straight-up hate it, the firm could dissolve... if any of those things happen, you'll wish there were more firms that offered you in the past.
Is that right? Would a firm look kindly upon the fact that you turned them down before?
I know it sounds weird, or even dumb, but they do. I know multiple people who got re-offered by a firm they turned down after 2L summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:51 am

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I know it sounds weird, or even dumb, but they do. I know multiple people who got re-offered by a firm they turned down after 2L summer.
Is that through their own initiative of trying to re-open the offer? And does it entail re-interviewing? Curious bc there's a slight chance I might consider doing this. Thanks

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Is that through their own initiative of trying to re-open the offer? And does it entail re-interviewing? Curious bc there's a slight chance I might consider doing this. Thanks
I have heard of both: through their own initiative and the firm reaching out to them. Not sure about re-interviewing but I'm also not sure what difference that would make to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:39 am

You, sir, are a piece of shit.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:40 am

Oops, that was me. I'll reiterate. You, sir, are a piece of shit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:24 am

I was just sorting through my 6 V-20 offers and my 4 remaining V-10 CBs. I did accept at McKenzie but suddenly I am not feeling it, so trying to figure out if I should withdraw by email or phone with the bad news. Skadden is fine, but have you seen their lobby, it is very pedestrian, not a place I’d invite one of my future big whale clients to. Latham is hounding me to the point where I feel like I am being pursued by the paparazzi. Kirkland emailed me on the weekend. Weekend, really?? Who has time to screw with emails on the weekend, weekends are for leisure not work (are they gunning for a reputation as a sweatshop).

C’mon folks. If you are going to do fantasy posts put some meat on the bones. . . .

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:00 pm

lol, just lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:18 pm

Sheffield wrote:I was just sorting through my 6 V-20 offers and my 4 remaining V-10 CBs. I did accept at McKenzie but suddenly I am not feeling it, so trying to figure out if I should withdraw by email or phone with the bad news. Skadden is fine, but have you seen their lobby, it is very pedestrian, not a place I’d invite one of my future big whale clients to. Latham is hounding me to the point where I feel like I am being pursued by the paparazzi. Kirkland emailed me on the weekend. Weekend, really?? Who has time to screw with emails on the weekend, weekends are for leisure not work (are they gunning for a reputation as a sweatshop).
Or they woke up Saturday morning and went "oh shit I forgot to call that candidate we decided to give an offer to" and felt bad.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:59 pm

It's shocking the level of insufferable-ness + the complete lack of self-awareness on display in this post.

1) Vault rankings are not like law school rankings. At all.
2) Not scheduling a callback, when you currently have 0 offers, with a firm you think you would enjoy working for is beyond stupid.
3) There is absolutely no downside to scheduling the callback after your callbacks with other preferred firms and just cancelling if you get an offer from one of those firms.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jc1988

Bronze

Post by jc1988 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:06 pm

i sincerely wish you go 0 for 7 with ur callbacks.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i sincerely wish you go 0 for 7 with ur callbacks.
Impressive anon use.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”