OSCAR Cover Letters

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11718
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

OSCAR Cover Letters

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:33 pm

Several judges just have a first initial on OSCAR instead of a full name. Should I do individual cover letters for them so I can put in their first name?

I know, it's neurotic. I just want to check.

User avatar
Mroberts3
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: OSCAR Cover Letters

Postby Mroberts3 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:36 pm

My guess is that most people use the online editor so it will show whatever that generates. Therefore, it won't be a negative to have that and might be a tiny (if any) boost to put the full name. Doubt its worth the time unless you are already personalizing one of those cover letters. Just my $0.02.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273043
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OSCAR Cover Letters

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:57 pm

can we load cover letters onto OSCAR over the weekend?

arodtoo
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:42 am

Re: OSCAR Cover Letters

Postby arodtoo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:24 pm

You can upload letters at anytime.

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: OSCAR Cover Letters

Postby Headybrah » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:34 pm

I already finalized shit - did I do something wrong?

User avatar
nevdash
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: OSCAR Cover Letters

Postby nevdash » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:46 pm

Headybrah wrote:I already finalized shit - did I do something wrong?

Probably not - the only thing that could go wrong is your recommenders failing to attach their letters in time. Did you wait until the letters were attached to your apps (as shown by little green check marks next to the recommenders' names) before your finalized them? If so, you didn't do anything wrong.

smittytron3k
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: OSCAR Cover Letters

Postby smittytron3k » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:50 pm

nevdash wrote:
Headybrah wrote:I already finalized shit - did I do something wrong?

Probably not - the only thing that could go wrong is your recommenders failing to attach their letters in time. Did you wait until the letters were attached to your apps (as shown by little green check marks next to the recommenders' names) before your finalized them? If so, you didn't do anything wrong.


Just FYI, you don't have to wait for the recommenders to attach their rec's to finalize - they can still attach them afterwards. The only limitation is that you can't add new recommenders or change the ones you listed.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11718
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: OSCAR Cover Letters

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:12 pm

So, no big deal on just using the first initial for cover letters, then? I'm using the auto-fill cover letters, so up at the very top corner, it will say "The Honorable A. Fish" or something like that.

User avatar
nevdash
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: OSCAR Cover Letters

Postby nevdash » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:52 pm

smittytron3k wrote:
nevdash wrote:
Headybrah wrote:I already finalized shit - did I do something wrong?

Probably not - the only thing that could go wrong is your recommenders failing to attach their letters in time. Did you wait until the letters were attached to your apps (as shown by little green check marks next to the recommenders' names) before your finalized them? If so, you didn't do anything wrong.


Just FYI, you don't have to wait for the recommenders to attach their rec's to finalize - they can still attach them afterwards. The only limitation is that you can't add new recommenders or change the ones you listed.

Er yea, I should have been more clear; they can attach them afterwards, but if you want to be extra careful, you can wait until they're already attached since that's the only possible thing that could go wrong if you finalize early.
kalvano wrote:So, no big deal on just using the first initial for cover letters, then? I'm using the auto-fill cover letters, so up at the very top corner, it will say "The Honorable A. Fish" or something like that.

If it makes you feel any better, that's what I did.

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: OSCAR Cover Letters

Postby Headybrah » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:44 am

nevdash wrote:Headybrah wrote:
I already finalized shit - did I do something wrong?

Probably not - the only thing that could go wrong is your recommenders failing to attach their letters in time. Did you wait until the letters were attached to your apps (as shown by little green check marks next to the recommenders' names) before your finalized them? If so, you didn't do anything wrong.


Just FYI, you don't have to wait for the recommenders to attach their rec's to finalize - they can still attach them afterwards. The only limitation is that you can't add new recommenders or change the ones you listed.

Er yea, I should have been more clear; they can attach them afterwards, but if you want to be extra careful, you can wait until they're already attached since that's the only possible thing that could go wrong if you finalize early


Wow, good thing I read this. I had no idea I had to wait for them to go green - luckily I don't have any interest in adding additional letters of rec. Scared the crap out of me.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.