The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ilovesf

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ilovesf » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:01 pm

are you a 3L or did you graduate in 2015?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:05 pm

ilovesf wrote:are you a 3L or did you graduate in 2015?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:09 pm

i'd personally take it because having interviews lined up doesnt mean you'll get offers. also those kinds of skills (depos, hearings) will transfer to other areas of the law.

then again, taking this kind of advice is how i ended up at a job that i hate, so idk

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i got an offer for a workers comp defense firm, will have the chance to take depos and have own case load, etc. i dont have alot of experience with taking depos/hearings, etc so figure this would be a good way to learn those skills. i eventually want to get into some type of civil litigation (but again dont have experience in civil litigation) so wondering if this WC job would be good for me to take? definitely dont want to get stuck in WC. also am worried that firms later on will look down on this experience. have a few other interviews but nothing im excited about and this seems like it would give me the most hands on experience. also, financially, i need a job, and soon haha. would appreciate anyones thoughts. thanks!

Do it. If you get depo and trial experience, smaller firms that do civil litigation will not look down on your experience at all. I know a lot of civil trial lawyers with small to mid size firms (like small mid size...not mid size big law) and they pretty much all told me that they only hire lawyers with trial experience...the more, the better. A lot of them started in insurance defense.

Plus, if you hate it, you can just find another job.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:19 pm

How soon are your other interviews anon? If they are like next week or something and you have been given time to decide, maybe you could see how they go before you commit? On the other hand bird in the hand is better than anything in the bush, and you said you aren't really excited about the other interviews.

Either way, congrats on the offer! Always glad to see 2015 grads finally getting out of the Vale.

mint777

Postby mint777 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:19 am

Does a bankruptcy clerkship open doors to litigation firms afterwards?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 pm

2015 grad here. Just had interview. I think I bombed it by not specifying salary. Sigh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm wondering where people are looking for compliance and entry level in-house jobs. Has anyone here ever found a job or received an interview from a LinkedIn posting? Are there particular job titles that are intended for entry level JDs (i.e., Compliance Officer vs. Compliance Analyst; Assistant VPs at banks and financial institutions, etc.). I haven't had much luck scoring interviews outside my school postings and I'm wondering how others are doing. 2015 grad here, by the way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2015 grad here. Just had interview. I think I bombed it by not specifying salary. Sigh.

Do you really have to bring up salary in the interview? I would only do this if there were no data points out there for me to estimate my salary. Do employers look down on candidates who don't ask about salary?

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm wondering where people are looking for compliance and entry level in-house jobs. Has anyone here ever found a job or received an interview from a LinkedIn posting? Are there particular job titles that are intended for entry level JDs (i.e., Compliance Officer vs. Compliance Analyst; Assistant VPs at banks and financial institutions, etc.). I haven't had much luck scoring interviews outside my school postings and I'm wondering how others are doing. 2015 grad here, by the way.

I have found decent stuff on LinkedIn, and actually am technically still in the interview stage for a position I found there (it's been a long 2 months), so there are things to be found there. Most of them seem to want much more experience than I have, but it still has some good listings. Glassdoor also has some good postings.

However most of the compliance stuff I've found has come from Indeed. It seems like analyst roles tend to be more junior, but a position I received a call about just yesterday was for an "associate" with only 1-2 years of experience (which I still don't have), but the JD got me the call. It ended up not working out because they wanted someone local who could start immediately and I'm looking to relocate. Have you thought about some long-term temp to perm positions? I have found that those seem to be a bit more flexible in who they will take even if you don't have the experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:54 pm

If anyone is looking for government work in Austin, Texas, here is something worth looking into.
I know someone who works at this agency. I have been told they actually hire people who are graduates sitting for bar the summer after graduation. I hear they are looking to fill multiple spots and decisions are made must faster then federal government.

http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/hr/LegCounI.pdf

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2015 grad here. Just had interview. I think I bombed it by not specifying salary. Sigh.

Do you really have to bring up salary in the interview? I would only do this if there were no data points out there for me to estimate my salary. Do employers look down on candidates who don't ask about salary?

I'm presuming they mean they got asked their salary requirements and didn't answer? You generally don't ask what the salary will be in an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:06 pm

2013 CCN grad, spent a year at a barely paying internship before finding a jd preferred job that paid $50k. after almost two years i'm up to $55k, and i like it, but my monthly ibr payments don't even scratch the surface of the massive debt i took on to attend law school. i've been applying to law firms and higher paying legal positions for months and haven't even gotten an interview. when does this end. :cry:

zot1

Postby zot1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:19 pm

I hear you on the debt. I guess my monthly payments go strictly to the interest accrued the previous month. So really, no dent there.

You gotta keep pushing. Things have got to get better. You can only go up from here. You have already.

diesel50

Postby diesel50 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:HOW / IF to land mid-law this late.

Already accepted a position with a 5-laatty shop. Interesting boutique/niche litigation practice, good experience but low pay. Thus would still be unable to turn down a mid law gig with say, a 50% larger salary (defining mid law super broadly as anything between 25 and 125 attys.

Nada on job sites (I know people keep saying wait for spring but damn its also spring and the later it gets the more I feel it would be bad to renig....) and it just seems like cold mailing at this stage for a 3L is like 0.001% types chance, mega desperado.

Any thoughts?

I might be in the minority but...

Don't even think twice about reneging. If it was in the firm's best interest, they would drop you like a hot potato.

SKETCHHHHH :|

I don't think it's sketch. Market is what it is. That said, the closer and closer you get your start date, the worse reneging becomes insofar as the firm might be relying on you and have lost out on better applicants in the meanwhile (again, less a concern given the market). Either way, the later the turn-down the more likely they'll be pissed.

Have you signed anything? Have you started clerking for them or received a signing bonus? I assume you'll be at will?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:59 pm

Any advice on applying to firms at which you were already rejected? A firm I interviewed with a year ago just posted an opening for the same job. Would it be worth it to contact one of my interviewers (or an alum at the firm too, I suppose) from last time? Or just apply thru the recruiter?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on applying to firms at which you were already rejected? A firm I interviewed with a year ago just posted an opening for the same job. Would it be worth it to contact one of my interviewers (or an alum at the firm too, I suppose) from last time? Or just apply thru the recruiter?

Also curious.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:20 pm

I would always just apply directly with contact on the posting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:28 am

I'm outta here!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:44 pm

^congrats anon! Care to share any details?

Also, for the rest of the thread: I know the right move is to apply to anything that requires less than 2 or 3 years of experience, even if you are entry level. Does this hold true just when applying directly to an employer or when applying to listings by a recruitment or staffing company as well?

zot1

Postby zot1 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:^congrats anon! Care to share any details?

Also, for the rest of the thread: I know the right move is to apply to anything that requires less than 2 or 3 years of experience, even if you are entry level. Does this hold true just when applying directly to an employer or when applying to listings by a recruitment or staffing company as well?

Yes, always apply. Just let them say no (or ignore you).

To previous anon: congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:^congrats anon! Care to share any details?

Thank you

2015 grad
V50
DC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:50 am

I'm beyond words happy for you, that's such a tremendous outcome at this point.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:55 pm

2014 grad. Like bottom 25% of class at a t18-30.

Exclusively worked temp and part-time jobs since graduation, almost two years.

Just picked up my fucking dream job with the federal government. Literally, if I had my pick of the litter of all the jobs out there, and I most certainly did not, this is the job I would have picked.

Thanks for the help and advice valers. It's been much appreciated.

TheFutureLawyer wrote:On USAJobs, I see I've been referred to the hiring officials for a bunch of jobs I really really want (like, literally, my fucking dream job - with a bunch of different locations). Interned at this agency my second summer and have (some) post-grad experience in their semi-niche area.

Should I call/email the hiring officials up? Anyone ever do that?

eta; and if you do recommend contacting the hiring officials, should that be done immediately, after a week, or what?

Thanks

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Current fed atty. Unfortunately, in most cases being referred to the hiring committee doesn't mean much. In general it means that someone, almost certainly an HR person not an attorney, has briefly reviewed your resume and you meet the minimum qualifications. So for an entry level job it may mean checking that you graduated from an ABA school, and are a U.S. Citizen.

Kinda my point - I want to stand out.

Though obviously stand out in a good way. So if contacting the hiring official is frowned upon, I don't want to do it. I already emailed the hiring official at one of the locations to test the waters a little bit, and plan on similarly emailing a few more. Then the rest (like, half) I won't email, just in case it is a big turnoff so I can still have a clean slate with those locations.

I'll let y'all know the results of my little experiment.

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
My desperation is evident from my resume anyway. (2014 grad still just working part-time). I think the message I came up with was pretty light though - just a simple introduction briefly describing my interest (and kinda name-dropping my reference at the agency - a high-ranking person there, though in a different side/office of the agency).

And like I said, if the message does prove to be a turnoff, then I still have my control group. If the hiring official has 100 applications to look through, maybe this email just helps me stand out and gets me the interview. It seems really unlikely to me that my email would be such a turnoff that the hiring official would actively say "Well, I was gonna interview this dude, but now fuck that shit."

Federal Attorney from above: The term "control group" doesn't apply here. All your pending applications are for different jobs, with different qualifications, not identical jobs. If you ultimately get an offer from your erroneously labeled control group, or your "experimental" group, it doesn't mean that your misguided e-mail had any effect whatsoever.

Why do you say the jobs all had different qualifications? This was an entry level position that was posted for every field office of a certain agency.

Anonymous User wrote:You asked for advice, received it, and decided that it was wrong.

Yep. I really do appreciate anyone who posts their experiences/opinions on something I'm asking about, and take them into consideration, but I don't exactly promise to bound myself to random peoples' posts.

If you're right and I'm wrong, I'll just have to live with that.

Just as a heads up/update; I've sent the emails, and have received responses. The replies, essentially: Thanks for the email, we'll be in contact if we decide to interview.

Results: I got one interview from each group. No offer from the experimental group. Offer from the control group.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:51 am

Did the BYU job bank password change?

Return to “Legal Employment”