The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:08 pm

.

stretchedtoothin
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby stretchedtoothin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:09 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No I agree it's BS. School hosted job sites should be for students and unemployed recent (<1yr out> grads.

Okay, but they're not? Schools' career services are offered to alumni as well. And someone advertising on Symplicity for people with 3 yrs experience isn't going to hire a current 3L or recent grad anyway. No one is taking jobs from you.


I understand the frustration by OP, but what absurd logic. You'd like your school to stop giving you resources to use after one year? What if you stay in the Vale for 3 years? What if you don't find a job 13 months after law school? Too bad, so sad?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Anyone know of Flicker Garelick?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:07 pm

Is it ever worthwhile to follow up with an employer if you haven't heard back within three to four weeks of the interview? My gut feeling is that it is more likely to hurt than help me and I should just let them get back to me on their own time. Does anyone else have more experience with this, aside from "3 to 4 weeks = no job son."

ballouttacontrol
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ballouttacontrol » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it ever worthwhile to follow up with an employer if you haven't heard back within three to four weeks of the interview? My gut feeling is that it is more likely to hurt than help me and I should just let them get back to me on their own time. Does anyone else have more experience with this, aside from "3 to 4 weeks = no job son."


Definitely.

There is no way it would hurt you, and it may help by reminding them you are still interested. I followed up twice, each time after about 2 weeks since last contact, before getting my job that got me out of the vale

User avatar
kiwi4president
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kiwi4president » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:43 pm

Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but the Texas Bar Association sends me a "Job Flash" a couple times a month. Here is a list of jobs they put out. Hope it helps somebody.

http://l.tx.bar.associationcareernetwor ... stfilter=y

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:42 pm

Callback from top PL firm!!! Feeling good about this one

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:14 am

So, where do you guys find jobs now-a-days?

And to the OP above me, Congrats! What area of PL work?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:19 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it ever worthwhile to follow up with an employer if you haven't heard back within three to four weeks of the interview? My gut feeling is that it is more likely to hurt than help me and I should just let them get back to me on their own time. Does anyone else have more experience with this, aside from "3 to 4 weeks = no job son."


Definitely.

There is no way it would hurt you, and it may help by reminding them you are still interested. I followed up twice, each time after about 2 weeks since last contact, before getting my job that got me out of the vale

They ignored my follow up request :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:11 pm

First check-in here. Had a screener, call back, and interview with exec committee at mid-level regional firm. Last was more than a week ago. Every time the phone rings, I jump ... but I've now convinced myself I probably didn't get it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, where do you guys find jobs now-a-days?

And to the OP above me, Congrats! What area of PL work?


Thanks! Firm mainly does securities and corporate governance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First check-in here. Had a screener, call back, and interview with exec committee at mid-level regional firm. Last was more than a week ago. Every time the phone rings, I jump ... but I've now convinced myself I probably didn't get it.


Took my mid-size firm two weeks to reach out to me. They interviewed everyone before making a decision.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:46 pm

Is it common for law firms to ignore requests to follow up after an interview? I suspect that they have a policy against responding to follow-up requests from people they know they aren't going to select.

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby baal hadad » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it common for law firms to ignore requests to follow up after an interview? I suspect that they have a policy against responding to follow-up requests from people they know they aren't going to select.

It means nothing

Follow up again in a couple wks

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:48 pm

HOW / IF to land mid-law this late.

Already accepted a position with a 5-laatty shop. Interesting boutique/niche litigation practice, good experience but low pay. Thus would still be unable to turn down a mid law gig with say, a 50% larger salary (defining mid law super broadly as anything between 25 and 125 attys.

Nada on job sites (I know people keep saying wait for spring but damn its also spring and the later it gets the more I feel it would be bad to renig....) and it just seems like cold mailing at this stage for a 3L is like 0.001% types chance, mega desperado.

Any thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:HOW / IF to land mid-law this late.

Already accepted a position with a 5-laatty shop. Interesting boutique/niche litigation practice, good experience but low pay. Thus would still be unable to turn down a mid law gig with say, a 50% larger salary (defining mid law super broadly as anything between 25 and 125 attys.

Nada on job sites (I know people keep saying wait for spring but damn its also spring and the later it gets the more I feel it would be bad to renig....) and it just seems like cold mailing at this stage for a 3L is like 0.001% types chance, mega desperado.

Any thoughts?


What is low pay for the purposes of this question?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:HOW / IF to land mid-law this late.

Already accepted a position with a 5-laatty shop. Interesting boutique/niche litigation practice, good experience but low pay. Thus would still be unable to turn down a mid law gig with say, a 50% larger salary (defining mid law super broadly as anything between 25 and 125 attys.

Nada on job sites (I know people keep saying wait for spring but damn its also spring and the later it gets the more I feel it would be bad to renig....) and it just seems like cold mailing at this stage for a 3L is like 0.001% types chance, mega desperado.

Any thoughts?


What is low pay for the purposes of this question?

55k

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:36 pm

How are your grades? Type of school?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are your grades? Type of school?

T30, top regional, top 25%. Managed to assemble what is probably one of the best resumes in class in terms of variety of 3, now 4 private firm law clerk gigs, 2 judicial internships, volunteer clinic, LR + secondary, LR publication, great personals

Less concerned with creds than just finding things to apply. My batting average for at least getting interviews is pretty high. Got a lot of screenerrs at 2L OCI, a couple callbacks but convinced that top 33% at the time was just not enough

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are your grades? Type of school?

T30, top regional, top 25%. Managed to assemble what is probably one of the best resumes in class in terms of variety of 3, now 4 private firm law clerk gigs, 2 judicial internships, volunteer clinic, LR + secondary, LR publication, great personals

Less concerned with creds than just finding things to apply. My batting average for at least getting interviews is pretty high. Got a lot of screenerrs at 2L OCI, a couple callbacks but convinced that top 33% at the time was just not enough


If it were me, I'd roll the dice and bet on myself. Something will come up between now and graduation and a less qualified applicant will get the job because people like you will bail and take the sure thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:HOW / IF to land mid-law this late.

Already accepted a position with a 5-laatty shop. Interesting boutique/niche litigation practice, good experience but low pay. Thus would still be unable to turn down a mid law gig with say, a 50% larger salary (defining mid law super broadly as anything between 25 and 125 attys.

Nada on job sites (I know people keep saying wait for spring but damn its also spring and the later it gets the more I feel it would be bad to renig....) and it just seems like cold mailing at this stage for a 3L is like 0.001% types chance, mega desperado.

Any thoughts?


I might be in the minority but...

Don't even think twice about reneging. If it was in the firm's best interest, they would drop you like a hot potato.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:HOW / IF to land mid-law this late.

Already accepted a position with a 5-laatty shop. Interesting boutique/niche litigation practice, good experience but low pay. Thus would still be unable to turn down a mid law gig with say, a 50% larger salary (defining mid law super broadly as anything between 25 and 125 attys.

Nada on job sites (I know people keep saying wait for spring but damn its also spring and the later it gets the more I feel it would be bad to renig....) and it just seems like cold mailing at this stage for a 3L is like 0.001% types chance, mega desperado.

Any thoughts?


I might be in the minority but...

Don't even think twice about reneging. If it was in the firm's best interest, they would drop you like a hot potato.


SKETCHHHHH :|

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is a bad place to post this and I will remove it. I would like to help someone from the Vale.

I looking to offer someone a temporary job helping me with a legal research project. Expected completion time is to be one month or less with possible future pay for followup. Payment is $1,750. You will receive a 1099 for your work and be responsible for your own income taxes. This is not a pyramid scheme or whatever (your not selling Cutco knives), I am paying you for work to be completed.

Requirements:

Passage of a state Bar Exam (preferably UBE but not required)
MBE minimum score of 150
Signing of a Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreeement

All work product will be owned by me which includes any notes you may generate. Work will be conducted from your home or library. Expected time to start will be late February or at worst March 1. You will be paid based on completion of work. Interviews will be conducted either through Skype or Facetime.

Please PM me. If anonymous posting does not allow PMs, I will repost it with another account.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:00 am

Can't PM an anonymous poster.


If I were you I'd also consider putting up a few Craigslist postings in the larger legal markets (NYC, DC, LA, etc.). You'd probably get a bunch of responses pretty quickly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:47 pm

i got an offer for a workers comp defense firm, will have the chance to take depos and have own case load, etc. i dont have alot of experience with taking depos/hearings, etc so figure this would be a good way to learn those skills. i eventually want to get into some type of civil litigation (but again dont have experience in civil litigation) so wondering if this WC job would be good for me to take? definitely dont want to get stuck in WC. also am worried that firms later on will look down on this experience. have a few other interviews but nothing im excited about and this seems like it would give me the most hands on experience. also, financially, i need a job, and soon haha. would appreciate anyones thoughts. thanks!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.