The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all. Just received an offer at a midsize firm in a secondary market. There is hope!


Turnaround time?

bwh8813
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bwh8813 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For V50 NYC firms, how long after cb can an offer take? 3L here

off season? who the the hell knows


Not looking for a definite answer. Just wondering if anyone has experienced or heard of a really a long wait before the offer finally comes and how long can it take


I realize this is a week later, and hoping you've gotten good news in the interim. In Nov, I had CBs at two NYC V50 firms. One contacted me two days later to come back in and meet with more people one week to the day after the first CB. Offered two days later. The other firm was just the original CB. I got the offer two weeks later after radio silence since the CB. I had assumed I was dinged. I wondered if they were waiting on others, but it didn't matter - I got the offer and don't care if it was a result of someone else turning it down.

Good luck. As long as you haven't gotten the snail mail rejection, there's still hope.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:13 pm

I'll chime in too. My offer was in a smallish satellite office, and took something like 5 or 6 weeks. I followed up every 2 weeks or so, and frankly had written them off. They really were just moving slow. Ay this point, there really is no rush to hire you. Unless you have a competing offer, in which case I'm sure they would make the offer immediately if pressed

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby EvelynS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:45 pm

I am pretty sure it was discussed already, but I could not find it. I am a 2015 grad with no job still. I should have probably started volunteering right after the bar exam, but was too depressed to do anything. What are you guys doing to fill the gap between law school and getting a job? I realize that doing nothing except applying for jobs is not really helping me. Any recommendations?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:50 pm

Stats of people getting late offers?

andythefir
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:56 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby andythefir » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:25 am

EvelynS wrote:I am pretty sure it was discussed already, but I could not find it. I am a 2015 grad with no job still. I should have probably started volunteering right after the bar exam, but was too depressed to do anything. What are you guys doing to fill the gap between law school and getting a job? I realize that doing nothing except applying for jobs is not really helping me. Any recommendations?


Be willing to move, identify relatively under-lawyered places, and apply there. There are hundreds of jobs that don't get filled because no one applies to them.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:01 am

EvelynS wrote:I am pretty sure it was discussed already, but I could not find it. I am a 2015 grad with no job still. I should have probably started volunteering right after the bar exam, but was too depressed to do anything. What are you guys doing to fill the gap between law school and getting a job? I realize that doing nothing except applying for jobs is not really helping me. Any recommendations?

I've gotten involved in some ABA committees related to the type of work I'm looking to do. It keeps me relatively on top of major developments in those areas and gives me a good chance to network.

zot1
Posts: 2871
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby zot1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:21 pm

I know moving isn't a choice or a possibility to some people. But here are my two cents:

I moved for my job to a place I had never been to before. TO BE FAIR, I wanted to move away from where I was and my job was the desired job outcome, so I know that made my decision easier.

That disclaimer aside, my job and the new location suit me very well and I'm happier than I had been in the decade prior to now.

I'm not saying moving will solve your problems. But don't discount the idea of moving, specially if the job is right and you're willing to try something new at least for a couple of years (since you can always move back once you're more marketable with more experience).

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11729
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:52 pm

EvelynS wrote:I am pretty sure it was discussed already, but I could not find it. I am a 2015 grad with no job still. I should have probably started volunteering right after the bar exam, but was too depressed to do anything. What are you guys doing to fill the gap between law school and getting a job? I realize that doing nothing except applying for jobs is not really helping me. Any recommendations?

When I was in your position last year, I became a pro-bono attorney in an asylum case and did random research/law clerk assignments for a small firm. I applied to volunteer at like 1000 places but none ever responded.

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby EvelynS » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:48 pm

ilovesf wrote:
EvelynS wrote:I am pretty sure it was discussed already, but I could not find it. I am a 2015 grad with no job still. I should have probably started volunteering right after the bar exam, but was too depressed to do anything. What are you guys doing to fill the gap between law school and getting a job? I realize that doing nothing except applying for jobs is not really helping me. Any recommendations?

When I was in your position last year, I became a pro-bono attorney in an asylum case and did random research/law clerk assignments for a small firm. I applied to volunteer at like 1000 places but none ever responded.


I am still waiting on my license, so I don't think I can do pro-bono legal work on my own. I looked at many places, and they require NY license to volunteer as well. So I am trying to find a place where I can still do some legal work (supervised of course) for free. Thank you for your response.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11729
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:58 pm

EvelynS wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
EvelynS wrote:I am pretty sure it was discussed already, but I could not find it. I am a 2015 grad with no job still. I should have probably started volunteering right after the bar exam, but was too depressed to do anything. What are you guys doing to fill the gap between law school and getting a job? I realize that doing nothing except applying for jobs is not really helping me. Any recommendations?

When I was in your position last year, I became a pro-bono attorney in an asylum case and did random research/law clerk assignments for a small firm. I applied to volunteer at like 1000 places but none ever responded.


I am still waiting on my license, so I don't think I can do pro-bono legal work on my own. I looked at many places, and they require NY license to volunteer as well. So I am trying to find a place where I can still do some legal work (supervised of course) for free. Thank you for your response.

Ohh yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't see that you didn't have a license. Something good will happen soon - I noticed an uptick of postings around this time last year!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:50 pm

Thoughts on applying to jobs that say they require / list as qualifications, e.g., "1-3 years" of experience?

Also, when these types of jobs show up on school Symplicity sites, does that sometimes imply that the are open to apps from new grads? I.e. did they choose to post there? Idiots at career services were [unsurprisingly] not capable of understanding or answering this question. lol

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:03 pm

STRESSIN HARD....and is there a reason to? Probs. Part just venting and part want any comments/advice possible...

SO, i've got an offer for post-grad (contingent on (1) bar admission, which is concerning more for character & fitness in light of 5 past underage drinking tickets than for fear of passing; and (2) successful completion of [remote from home/library/starbucks] work as a law clerk, about 8-10 hours a week). Tiny firm, 50K, but in my geo pref and interesting, work with chance for early, varied experience/responsibility, yada yada.

Also working 12/hrs week at local 14-lawyer GP firm in town, cranking out research memos to help pay the bills. They are "full up for now," but a good place to be associated in that it is well-respected....

ALSO, just accepted a gig as a TA. 5 semi-brutal but kinda fun hours 1 morning/week teaching undergrads "sociology" stuff that I am apparently qualified to facilitate discussions for...lol. With prep maybe 7 hrs/week. Pretty easy had to do it: stipend + free tuition = "all my n***** is rich as f***"

Combined with 16 credits of toughish classes (why? idk..it's my last semester...grades dont matter as much, skipp a reading who cares), LR and secondary, and a prof I "work" for (super irregular, i.e. could go 2 months with nothing then a week with 7 hours worth of researhcing/cite checking a book article, etc.)

Still applying to stuff that looks better than what i got b/c that seems to be kosher/necessary now in this brutal market...

SO, I'm basically feeling just as busy, stressed, crushed as a I was as a 1L if not more....It's like even when you're technically out of the Veil you're not

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11729
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on applying to jobs that say they require / list as qualifications, e.g., "1-3 years" of experience?

Also, when these types of jobs show up on school Symplicity sites, does that sometimes imply that the are open to apps from new grads? I.e. did they choose to post there? Idiots at career services were [unsurprisingly] not capable of understanding or answering this question. lol

Apply to it anyway, for sure

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7957
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on applying to jobs that say they require / list as qualifications, e.g., "1-3 years" of experience?

Also, when these types of jobs show up on school Symplicity sites, does that sometimes imply that the are open to apps from new grads? I.e. did they choose to post there? Idiots at career services were [unsurprisingly] not capable of understanding or answering this question. lol

Yes apply to those jobs.

The fact that they're on symplicity doesn't mean much because recent grads and current attorneys still log on to symplicity to look for jobs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:STRESSIN HARD....and is there a reason to? Probs. Part just venting and part want any comments/advice possible...

SO, i've got an offer for post-grad (contingent on (1) bar admission, which is concerning more for character & fitness in light of 5 past underage drinking tickets than for fear of passing; and (2) successful completion of [remote from home/library/starbucks] work as a law clerk, about 8-10 hours a week). Tiny firm, 50K, but in my geo pref and interesting, work with chance for early, varied experience/responsibility, yada yada.

Also working 12/hrs week at local 14-lawyer GP firm in town, cranking out research memos to help pay the bills. They are "full up for now," but a good place to be associated in that it is well-respected....

ALSO, just accepted a gig as a TA. 5 semi-brutal but kinda fun hours 1 morning/week teaching undergrads "sociology" stuff that I am apparently qualified to facilitate discussions for...lol. With prep maybe 7 hrs/week. Pretty easy had to do it: stipend + free tuition = "all my n***** is rich as f***"

Combined with 16 credits of toughish classes (why? idk..it's my last semester...grades dont matter as much, skipp a reading who cares), LR and secondary, and a prof I "work" for (super irregular, i.e. could go 2 months with nothing then a week with 7 hours worth of researhcing/cite checking a book article, etc.)

Still applying to stuff that looks better than what i got b/c that seems to be kosher/necessary now in this brutal market...

SO, I'm basically feeling just as busy, stressed, crushed as a I was as a 1L if not more....It's like even when you're technically out of the Veil you're not


Wow...I can't believe I found someone with a busier spring 3L schedule than me!

I have a part-time law clerk job, working at a school clinic, and am taking 16 credits. Thus is the struggle of a Valer...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:51 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on applying to jobs that say they require / list as qualifications, e.g., "1-3 years" of experience?

Also, when these types of jobs show up on school Symplicity sites, does that sometimes imply that the are open to apps from new grads? I.e. did they choose to post there? Idiots at career services were [unsurprisingly] not capable of understanding or answering this question. lol

Yes apply to those jobs.

The fact that they're on symplicity doesn't mean much because recent grads and current attorneys still log on to symplicity to look for jobs.


Can you have 1-2 years experience and still be a "recent grad"? And, like, how long are such "recent grads" allowed to access symplicity? Kinda seems like bullshit that grads 1-2 yrs out, who may even have jobs/experience, can go on symplicity and compete with jobless 3Ls....

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3872
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kinda seems like bullshit that grads 1-2 yrs out, who may even have jobs/experience, can go on symplicity and compete with jobless 3Ls....


Not really. If they're competing for the same position that a 3L is, then they're obviously not doing so hot job-wise and need symplicity as much as anyone else.

I get the market sucks, but don't take your frustration out on the wrong people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:33 pm

I feel like I'm not doing enough, but I"m working full time and taking full time classes, and applying. Sigh.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22773
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on applying to jobs that say they require / list as qualifications, e.g., "1-3 years" of experience?

Also, when these types of jobs show up on school Symplicity sites, does that sometimes imply that the are open to apps from new grads? I.e. did they choose to post there? Idiots at career services were [unsurprisingly] not capable of understanding or answering this question. lol

Yes apply to those jobs.

The fact that they're on symplicity doesn't mean much because recent grads and current attorneys still log on to symplicity to look for jobs.


Can you have 1-2 years experience and still be a "recent grad"? And, like, how long are such "recent grads" allowed to access symplicity? Kinda seems like bullshit that grads 1-2 yrs out, who may even have jobs/experience, can go on symplicity and compete with jobless 3Ls....

It's a service for alumni and current students.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:STRESSIN HARD....and is there a reason to? Probs. Part just venting and part want any comments/advice possible...

SO, i've got an offer for post-grad (contingent on (1) bar admission, which is concerning more for character & fitness in light of 5 past underage drinking tickets than for fear of passing; and (2) successful completion of [remote from home/library/starbucks] work as a law clerk, about 8-10 hours a week). Tiny firm, 50K, but in my geo pref and interesting, work with chance for early, varied experience/responsibility, yada yada.

Also working 12/hrs week at local 14-lawyer GP firm in town, cranking out research memos to help pay the bills. They are "full up for now," but a good place to be associated in that it is well-respected....

ALSO, just accepted a gig as a TA. 5 semi-brutal but kinda fun hours 1 morning/week teaching undergrads "sociology" stuff that I am apparently qualified to facilitate discussions for...lol. With prep maybe 7 hrs/week. Pretty easy had to do it: stipend + free tuition = "all my n***** is rich as f***"

Combined with 16 credits of toughish classes (why? idk..it's my last semester...grades dont matter as much, skipp a reading who cares), LR and secondary, and a prof I "work" for (super irregular, i.e. could go 2 months with nothing then a week with 7 hours worth of researhcing/cite checking a book article, etc.)

Still applying to stuff that looks better than what i got b/c that seems to be kosher/necessary now in this brutal market...

SO, I'm basically feeling just as busy, stressed, crushed as a I was as a 1L if not more....It's like even when you're technically out of the Veil you're not


Wow...I can't believe I found someone with a busier spring 3L schedule than me!

I have a part-time law clerk job, working at a school clinic, and am taking 16 credits. Thus is the struggle of a Valer...


Yeah that is some pretty insane beast mode shit and impressive hustling. but I gotta day I totally disagree with the approach. Like unless you really need the money a lot of that to could be spent networking, mass mailing, or whatver else if you're still looking for a better job. And Why kill yourself? Anyone disagree?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:23 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on applying to jobs that say they require / list as qualifications, e.g., "1-3 years" of experience?

Also, when these types of jobs show up on school Symplicity sites, does that sometimes imply that the are open to apps from new grads? I.e. did they choose to post there? Idiots at career services were [unsurprisingly] not capable of understanding or answering this question. lol

Yes apply to those jobs.



The fact that they're on symplicity doesn't mean much because recent grads and current attorneys still log on to symplicity to look for jobs.


Can you have 1-2 years experience and still be a "recent grad"? And, like, how long are such "recent grads" allowed to access symplicity? Kinda seems like bullshit that grads 1-2 yrs out, who may even have jobs/experience, can go on symplicity and compete with jobless 3Ls....

It's a service for alumni and current students.


No I agree it's BS. School hosted job sites should be for students and unemployed recent (<1yr out> grads.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on applying to jobs that say they require / list as qualifications, e.g., "1-3 years" of experience?

Also, when these types of jobs show up on school Symplicity sites, does that sometimes imply that the are open to apps from new grads? I.e. did they choose to post there? Idiots at career services were [unsurprisingly] not capable of understanding or answering this question. lol

Yes apply to those jobs.



The fact that they're on symplicity doesn't mean much because recent grads and current attorneys still log on to symplicity to look for jobs.


Can you have 1-2 years experience and still be a "recent grad"? And, like, how long are such "recent grads" allowed to access symplicity? Kinda seems like bullshit that grads 1-2 yrs out, who may even have jobs/experience, can go on symplicity and compete with jobless 3Ls....

It's a service for alumni and current students.


No I agree it's BS. School hosted job sites should be for students and unemployed recent (<1yr out> grads.

What difference does it make? There are Symplicity postings for 3Ls, recent grads, 1-3 years experience, 3-5 years experience, etc. People apply for jobs outside of their "experience bracket" all the time, and it runs both ways.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22773
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No I agree it's BS. School hosted job sites should be for students and unemployed recent (<1yr out> grads.

Okay, but they're not? Schools' career services are offered to alumni as well. And someone advertising on Symplicity for people with 3 yrs experience isn't going to hire a current 3L or recent grad anyway. No one is taking jobs from you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi all. Just received an offer at a midsize firm in a secondary market. There is hope!


Turnaround time?


About two weeks. Interviewed right before the holidays and received the offer a few days after the holidays.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.