The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:08 am

For V50 NYC firms, how long after cb can an offer take? 3L here

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Anyone know what to do when the "careers" section on a firm's website has a link for "law students" and a link for "experienced attorneys" but nothing for recent graduates? Are they just implying that recent graduates need not apply? Trying to decide if I'm wasting my time applying to some of these places

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what to do when the "careers" section on a firm's website has a link for "law students" and a link for "experienced attorneys" but nothing for recent graduates? Are they just implying that recent graduates need not apply? Trying to decide if I'm wasting my time applying to some of these places

Recent Grad = Experienced Lawyer. Law students is for 3Ls, and usually future hiring, not current needs.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:21 pm

Just saw a posting to this place: http://www.lawjobfairs.com/

Looked kinda sketchy, so I did a search and saw some people say (just within the past ~24hrs) that it was basically a scam: https://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comm ... com_legit/

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that was thinking of using that place.

Basically looks like another one of these:

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any experience with lawcrossing.com?

I am intrigued by the website, and I am considering paying for it.

Do not do it. Lawcrossing.com is a scam.

http://subprimejd.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... ssing.html

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complain ... 08981.html

http://www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/Bcg-Att ... obs/t10571

Not only will they not get you a job, but they will continue to charge you EVEN AFTER YOU CANCEL. I recently learned that a friend of mine from law school had to change her bank account just to prevent them from taking $40 a month.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:23 pm

No Coloradoans looking for jobs here, are there?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:00 pm

To the first person al above me, I signed up for that site. Nothing seemed to come of it except some annoying recruiter named Tom Waters from GCG tracked me down on LinkedIn. Seems fair to me, bc the they solicit $$$ to "review" you're resume and shit

To the 2nd guy, right above me, I was a Colorado hopeful in the vale until recently. But I did find an excellent firm who I'm pretty excited about. Idk how many of us there r around here tho

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:16 am

Waiting on two responses from two firms I interviewed with the week before last. One firm said they'd get back to me by next week (which was last week). Crickets. The other said they'd get back to me by today. Crickets.

I've read on this forum that when you don't get an offer within 3 business days of the interview, you're probably not hired. Is there any truth to that?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Waiting on two responses from two firms I interviewed with the week before last. One firm said they'd get back to me by next week (which was last week). Crickets. The other said they'd get back to me by today. Crickets.

I've read on this forum that when you don't get an offer within 3 business days of the interview, you're probably not hired. Is there any truth to that?

To your question, the answer is no. Firms make decisions quicker than government, but even firms can be a bit slow at times or be waiting to interview additional applicants in the coming days/weeks.

But if they said they'd get back to you by a date and that date comes and goes with crickets, you're very likely not getting the job.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:08 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Waiting on two responses from two firms I interviewed with the week before last. One firm said they'd get back to me by next week (which was last week). Crickets. The other said they'd get back to me by today. Crickets.

To your question, the answer is no. Firms make decisions quicker than government, but even firms can be a bit slow at times or be waiting to interview additional applicants in the coming days/weeks.

But if they said they'd get back to you by a date and that date comes and goes with crickets, you're very likely not getting the job.

I don't think the bolded is really true either.

Anon, give it a few more days and then follow up with both. People get busy.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I was laid off yesterday. They let me go because I was the last hire and they didn't have enough work to keep me at the firm. I'm in a secondary market, and I had been at this boutique litigation firm for almost a year. They were really nice and said I provided great work product and that there wasn't anything I could do since this was about getting enough work from clients. They even gave me a 1-month severance with health insurance.

However, it still really hurts. I've been out of law school for 3 years now. While I've had some decent gigs compared to a good deal of my classmates, having to start over again this suddenly when I thought things were getting figured out is really painful. Luckily I have some savings and can make it for 6 months if necessary, but god damn it.

SOrry to hear that brother thats shit

any chance anyone at the firm will help you find something new?

happend to a buddy of mine after about a year at biglaw and he got a job a p sweet boutique in his specialty area w the help of people at his old fimr

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:For V50 NYC firms, how long after cb can an offer take? 3L here

off season? who the the hell knows

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:14 am

baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I was laid off yesterday. They let me go because I was the last hire and they didn't have enough work to keep me at the firm. I'm in a secondary market, and I had been at this boutique litigation firm for almost a year. They were really nice and said I provided great work product and that there wasn't anything I could do since this was about getting enough work from clients. They even gave me a 1-month severance with health insurance.

However, it still really hurts. I've been out of law school for 3 years now. While I've had some decent gigs compared to a good deal of my classmates, having to start over again this suddenly when I thought things were getting figured out is really painful. Luckily I have some savings and can make it for 6 months if necessary, but god damn it.

SOrry to hear that brother thats shit

any chance anyone at the firm will help you find something new?

happend to a buddy of mine after about a year at biglaw and he got a job a p sweet boutique in his specialty area w the help of people at his old fimr

They said they would let me know if they hear anything, but I don't really have much expectations with them helping.

Luckily, I made some connections with a few other attorneys in the area who are trying to help. I'm pretty hopeful that it works out, but it's hard to not freak out about watching my small savings account slowly start to disappear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Edited to add after writing this post: I went back to read this and apparently I am having a bad day. Yikes! Maybe its a vitamin D deficiency. At any rate, apologies for adding to the bad attitude around here.

I am going completely insane here. 2015 grad from a CCN and still looking for a job. I went to law school hoping to go into biglaw for a few years, get experience/return on my investment, and then get out. That has not happened, obviously. Which, whatever. I could give a shit about biglaw. I have no debt and enough money in investments laying around that I don't honestly need to work any time soon, which I realize is an extraordinary luxury. But the toll of this job search has been so much more profound on me than the financial impact. At this point I don't even care about the crazy amount of money that I laid out to go to a fancy law school, where I was utterly miserable for 3 years. I don't have a significant other, I am willing to move anywhere. I would work my butt off for anyone who would just give me a chance. I am young enough that I'm not worried about spending time finding a spouse/family and really just want to establish a solid career. I don't even care if I get a significantly under-market salary. And yet. The search continues day in and day out-- the vast majority of attorneys I contact are rude and apathetic. This profession is a nasty joke.

Sorry for the negativity, I just needed a space to vent. I am so utterly exhausted of spending every day looking for the positive and hoping for some opportunity to appear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:46 pm

baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For V50 NYC firms, how long after cb can an offer take? 3L here

off season? who the the hell knows

Not looking for a definite answer. Just wondering if anyone has experienced or heard of a really a long wait before the offer finally comes and how long can it take

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Kronk wrote:No Coloradoans looking for jobs here, are there?

I am. I haven't had much luck so far, but I think that's mostly due to my being out-of-state. I have significant ties and am moving back in May regardless, but hopefully I'll get more responses when I'm actually there.

whitecollar23

Postby whitecollar23 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:33 am

Anybody know of any big firms who are interviewing at the moment? My school's Symplicity (CCN) is showing little to nothing right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:50 am

whitecollar23 wrote:Anybody know of any big firms who are interviewing at the moment? My school's Symplicity (CCN) is showing little to nothing right now.

T20 with "good" biglaw placement - Symplicity is pretty barren for us too

whitecollar23

Postby whitecollar23 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:Anybody know of any big firms who are interviewing at the moment? My school's Symplicity (CCN) is showing little to nothing right now.

FWIW, I've heard it gets better in March and April.

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:54 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

FWIW, I've heard it gets better in March and April.

Wouldn't be surprised if firms waited a bit longer than normal this year to start posting positions - seems like everyone wants to see whether we're headed for another recession.

Redbull2015L

Postby Redbull2015L » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:09 pm

2015 grad, passed VA in July, been looking ever since with no bites. I'd like to be a prosecutor and have internships to that effect but I've been declined or ignored by every Commonwealth's Attorney office I've applied to an opening at. I'm taking WV in February and hoping something pans out if I get barred in 2 states but I'm pretty depressed at the moment. I'm volunteering at a local general practitioner a few days a week but that's not really helping with anything. I don't really know what to do - if anyone has leads, advice, suggestions, anything would be appreciated. I don't care where I go, anywhere that'll take me is an adventure I'm willing to set out on.

whitecollar23

Postby whitecollar23 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:16 pm

My school is having a clerkship reception tomorrow. Anyone go to these in the past? They worthwhile? Any advice for how to approach it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:37 pm

May finally be escaping, but find myself in a (fortunate) predicament between two options:

1) Mid/biglaw job (below market, above 100k) doing somewhat niche work (e.g. think international or environmental law)
2) Fed job (possibly GS-14) in a "less prestigious" position (e.g. DHS/ICE)

I simply have no idea what the exit options/career trajectory is for the Fed position (unlike the more traditional firm job), so it's making it hard to come to a decision. I've searched this forum and others, but there seems to be limited info about what kind of future the Fed job would hold.

Hope this is the kind of thing okay in this thread. If not, I'll move it elsewhere.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:May finally be escaping, but find myself in a (fortunate) predicament between two options:

1) Mid/biglaw job (below market, above 100k) doing somewhat niche work (e.g. think international or environmental law)
2) Fed job (possibly GS-14) in a "less prestigious" position (e.g. DHS/ICE)

I simply have no idea what the exit options/career trajectory is for the Fed position (unlike the more traditional firm job), so it's making it hard to come to a decision. I've searched this forum and others, but there seems to be limited info about what kind of future the Fed job would hold.

Hope this is the kind of thing okay in this thread. If not, I'll move it elsewhere.

Message me re fed stuff.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:24 am

Redbull2015L wrote:2015 grad, passed VA in July, been looking ever since with no bites. I'd like to be a prosecutor and have internships to that effect but I've been declined or ignored by every Commonwealth's Attorney office I've applied to an opening at. I'm taking WV in February and hoping something pans out if I get barred in 2 states but I'm pretty depressed at the moment. I'm volunteering at a local general practitioner a few days a week but that's not really helping with anything. I don't really know what to do - if anyone has leads, advice, suggestions, anything would be appreciated. I don't care where I go, anywhere that'll take me is an adventure I'm willing to set out on.

New Mexico's 5th Judicial District is down at least 4 attorneys in the Roswell office with nobody even applying. They recently hired a Cooley grad who has never passed the bar anywhere to "clerk" until he takes the September bar. If you've passed any bar, you can get a provisional license until the September bar.

I've posted about that office a few times and to date no one has applied. The despair on this thread is appropriate if you have absolutely 0 geographic flexibility. If you're willing to work in the rural Mountain West, there are jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:25 am

Hi all. Just received an offer at a midsize firm in a secondary market. There is hope!

Return to “Legal Employment”