Anonymous User wrote:HELP
Recently offered a 50K gig at a small firm in my desired loc and in a practice area i an interested in. 50k is not a lot, but I suppose I could live at home for a year, get 2-3 years of experience and then try to clerk or lateral after that if I'm not in love with the practice job/haven't got to 60k+
NEED to decide by MONDAY, non-negotiable (partner/owner is leaving country). Thing is, I've got interviews scheduled with a district court and another firm later this month, and who knows what will pop up in the Spring.
I know people here have advocated accepting offers but continuing to interview and apply in search of better things. That just seems so slimy, but I guess it is reality and likely what I'll have to do. any and all advice/wisdom/encouragement/criticism is welcome
It's not slimy at all. Don't kid yourself: if the firm found someone else better, they would drop you in a hot second. You also don't know what will happen: a firm could lose a client or partners could leave. Keep looking.
2014 grad here. After being employed part-time at Firm A for a little while, I got picked up full-time at Firm B in my favorite niche practice area. Two months into Firm B, I got an email from an attorney I worked with in the federal government as an intern, half-doing a practice area I liked, and half-doing a practice area I hated. He told me there was an opening in their office, and that I should apply. I was really happy at Firm B, so I thanked him but said I liked where I was at at the moment.
Three months later work dried up and Firm B dropped me. Thankfully I was at least able to get my old part-time job back. Been kicking myself since for not applying to that fed job (which, if not a lock, I imagine I would have been a top contender). It might not have been my dream job, but it was good enough.
My advice: don't be me.