The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SFSpartan
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby SFSpartan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:30 pm

3L out of the Vale! Partners I've been working with since 1L extended the offer at lunch today!

Haven't posted much here, but everything in this thread really helped me refocus at the end of summer when I didn't have an offer on the table. Really appreciate all the support this thread has offered.

ash0117
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ash0117 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:50 pm

So, I am a May 2015 grad from a strong regional school targeting PD or social justice/policy work. I've been in the Vale despite a strong resume and decent personal story. Finally snagged a fellowship with a non-profit in DC that's kind of perfect with a 55K salary starting January. I'm terrified of moving from FL to DC with no permanent job, but I'm going to bite the bullet and take it because its too perfect to pass up. Hopefully it will work out and I won't have to come home with my head held in shame in a year. Thank you all; although I don't post much, you all have really helped me for the past few months.

My advice is apply for everything you're even remotely interest in/ qualified for. It's a numbers game. If you throw enough out there, something will stick. And try to keep your head up... It seems terrible (and it kinda is) but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

zot1
Posts: 2880
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby zot1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Congrats to the ex-valers!

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3872
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:19 pm

ash0117 wrote:I'm terrified of moving from FL to DC with no permanent job, but I'm going to bite the bullet and take it because its too perfect to pass up. Hopefully it will work out and I won't have to come home with my head held in shame in a year.


Congrats! And, as a Floridian in DC, welcome comrade.


Regarding the fellowship ending in a year; I wouldn't stress over that so much. If you could snag this fellowship, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something over the course of 2016 to start in Jan 2017.

SFSpartan
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby SFSpartan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:33 pm

ash0117 wrote:So, I am a May 2015 grad from a strong regional school targeting PD or social justice/policy work. I've been in the Vale despite a strong resume and decent personal story. Finally snagged a fellowship with a non-profit in DC that's kind of perfect with a 55K salary starting January. I'm terrified of moving from FL to DC with no permanent job, but I'm going to bite the bullet and take it because its too perfect to pass up. Hopefully it will work out and I won't have to come home with my head held in shame in a year. Thank you all; although I don't post much, you all have really helped me for the past few months.


Congrats on the gig and best of luck!

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:04 pm

I think it's interesting how many jobs that require Spanish fluency pay significantly less than typical entry-level jobs.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22778
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:17 pm

It's not that surprising. It's not that someone doesn't deserve to get paid for that skill, it's that the work you're seeing advertised here that requires Spanish fluency involves serving the less-well-off.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:51 pm

Congrats to everyone who has gotten some good news recently! Thank goodness for this thread; I've started getting the "why don't you just give up?" and "at this point you need to just take ANY job" talks from family and friends, which of course only makes me feel like even more of a failure. Seeing some fellow 2015 grads make it out is one of the only things keeping me sane right now.

ash0117
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ash0117 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:07 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Congrats to everyone who has gotten some good news recently! Thank goodness for this thread; I've started getting the "why don't you just give up?" and "at this point you need to just take ANY job" talks from family and friends, which of course only makes me feel like even more of a failure. Seeing some fellow 2015 grads make it out is one of the only things keeping me sane right now.


As someone who was literally **this close** to biting the bullet and taking a shit law gig in FL instead of following my dream in DC, hold out. It sucks and the desperation starts to increase, but if you are able to (and I know not everyone is able to - thank goodness for a good support system) try to stick it out. It will happen. I stopped talking to everyone about the job search. I was also a raging bitch, but I don't recommend that part. Just keep applying - it will happen. If you take a job you hate you'll just be even more miserable than unemployment makes you. Good luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273092
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:39 am

If I go ahead and buy a bar prep course now but I later (somehow) get a firm job, was that money just a waste?

Does anyone know if prep course prices are constant, cheaper in the spring, or more expensive in the spring? I have heard conflicting information.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273092
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I go ahead and buy a bar prep course now but I later (somehow) get a firm job, was that money just a waste?

Does anyone know if prep course prices are constant, cheaper in the spring, or more expensive in the spring? I have heard conflicting information.


I assume the firm would just reimburse you the cost of the course...

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:43 pm

ash0117 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Congrats to everyone who has gotten some good news recently! Thank goodness for this thread; I've started getting the "why don't you just give up?" and "at this point you need to just take ANY job" talks from family and friends, which of course only makes me feel like even more of a failure. Seeing some fellow 2015 grads make it out is one of the only things keeping me sane right now.


As someone who was literally **this close** to biting the bullet and taking a shit law gig in FL instead of following my dream in DC, hold out. It sucks and the desperation starts to increase, but if you are able to (and I know not everyone is able to - thank goodness for a good support system) try to stick it out. It will happen. I stopped talking to everyone about the job search. I was also a raging bitch, but I don't recommend that part. Just keep applying - it will happen. If you take a job you hate you'll just be even more miserable than unemployment makes you. Good luck.

Thanks for the kind word; I definitely needed it. I guess I should be grateful that I can live at home for free, which gives me a BIT more flexibility when it comes to holding out for something that I want to do. And it's already a little late on the raging bitch part for me, but I'm trying to keep it in check LOL

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby EvelynS » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:11 pm

Just got a rejection email...it took them less than 24 hours. I guess I suck that much. On the bright side, I don't have to wait for a response anymore. 2015 grad, passed the NY bar, still waiting for a license. Like some posters here, I am tired of people asking me about the job. I started avoiding people. I am too embarrassed to admit that I am a loser and that's why I don't have a job. Now my family keeps saying that maybe I should lower me expectations and get any job. Desperation kicks in. I guess this Christmas holidays will suck. I just really hope that it will get better at some point. I am that close to giving up.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3872
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:24 pm

EvelynS wrote:Just got a rejection email...it took them less than 24 hours. I guess I suck that much. On the bright side, I don't have to wait for a response anymore. 2015 grad, passed the NY bar, still waiting for a license. Like some posters here, I am tired of people asking me about the job. I started avoiding people. I am too embarrassed to admit that I am a loser and that's why I don't have a job. Now my family keeps saying that maybe I should lower me expectations and get any job. Desperation kicks in. I guess this Christmas holidays will suck. I just really hope that it will get better at some point. I am that close to giving up.


You passed NY on your first try; that's not nothing. Job hunt will probably go a lot better after you're admitted (lots of jobs that you won't even be considered for until you are).

If you need to take something shitty to pay the bills, that's life. Doesn't mean you can't keep checking every night for something better, which you'll probably get.

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby EvelynS » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:36 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
EvelynS wrote:Just got a rejection email...it took them less than 24 hours. I guess I suck that much. On the bright side, I don't have to wait for a response anymore. 2015 grad, passed the NY bar, still waiting for a license. Like some posters here, I am tired of people asking me about the job. I started avoiding people. I am too embarrassed to admit that I am a loser and that's why I don't have a job. Now my family keeps saying that maybe I should lower me expectations and get any job. Desperation kicks in. I guess this Christmas holidays will suck. I just really hope that it will get better at some point. I am that close to giving up.


You passed NY on your first try; that's not nothing. Job hunt will probably go a lot better after you're admitted (lots of jobs that you won't even be considered for until you are).

If you need to take something shitty to pay the bills, that's life. Doesn't mean you can't keep checking every night for something better, which you'll probably get.


Thank you. I for once sure hope so. Sometimes I start regretting going to law school at all, at least right after undergrad. In the hindsight, I should have worked for a few years and then decide whether to go to law school or not. Oh well...i can't change it now. So I will keep trying. With so many rejections, it gets harder and harder to stay optimistic.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11741
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ilovesf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:09 pm

EvelynS wrote:Just got a rejection email...it took them less than 24 hours. I guess I suck that much. On the bright side, I don't have to wait for a response anymore. 2015 grad, passed the NY bar, still waiting for a license. Like some posters here, I am tired of people asking me about the job. I started avoiding people. I am too embarrassed to admit that I am a loser and that's why I don't have a job. Now my family keeps saying that maybe I should lower me expectations and get any job. Desperation kicks in. I guess this Christmas holidays will suck. I just really hope that it will get better at some point. I am that close to giving up.

You are not a loser just because of your job situation. IME, last year interviews and postings picked up after the New Year. Everyone I know found something eventually. You will too.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21848
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Nebby » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:20 pm

EvelynS wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
EvelynS wrote:Just got a rejection email...it took them less than 24 hours. I guess I suck that much. On the bright side, I don't have to wait for a response anymore. 2015 grad, passed the NY bar, still waiting for a license. Like some posters here, I am tired of people asking me about the job. I started avoiding people. I am too embarrassed to admit that I am a loser and that's why I don't have a job. Now my family keeps saying that maybe I should lower me expectations and get any job. Desperation kicks in. I guess this Christmas holidays will suck. I just really hope that it will get better at some point. I am that close to giving up.


You passed NY on your first try; that's not nothing. Job hunt will probably go a lot better after you're admitted (lots of jobs that you won't even be considered for until you are).

If you need to take something shitty to pay the bills, that's life. Doesn't mean you can't keep checking every night for something better, which you'll probably get.


Thank you. I for once sure hope so. Sometimes I start regretting going to law school at all, at least right after undergrad. In the hindsight, I should have worked for a few years and then decide whether to go to law school or not. Oh well...i can't change it now. So I will keep trying. With so many rejections, it gets harder and harder to stay optimistic.

I have faith in you!

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7957
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Pleasye » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I go ahead and buy a bar prep course now but I later (somehow) get a firm job, was that money just a waste?

Does anyone know if prep course prices are constant, cheaper in the spring, or more expensive in the spring? I have heard conflicting information.

Wait till the last minute and negotiate the price way way down for any bar course.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273092
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:09 pm

ilovesf wrote:
EvelynS wrote:Just got a rejection email...it took them less than 24 hours. I guess I suck that much. On the bright side, I don't have to wait for a response anymore. 2015 grad, passed the NY bar, still waiting for a license. Like some posters here, I am tired of people asking me about the job. I started avoiding people. I am too embarrassed to admit that I am a loser and that's why I don't have a job. Now my family keeps saying that maybe I should lower me expectations and get any job. Desperation kicks in. I guess this Christmas holidays will suck. I just really hope that it will get better at some point. I am that close to giving up.

You are not a loser just because of your job situation. IME, last year interviews and postings picked up after the New Year. Everyone I know found something eventually. You will too.


Well, technically, we are losers relative to our classmates who have secured good jobs. If we weren't we wouldn't feel embarrassed about not having a job yet. BUT, the way I see it, once we secure good jobs, we in a sense leapfrog the pussies who lucked out with the first-year grade/2L fall OCI process (which everyone knows is kind of a farce), the loser roles are reversed, because unlike us, many of them will not know how to hustle.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273092
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:45 pm

HELP

Recently offered a 50K gig at a small firm in my desired loc and in a practice area i an interested in. 50k is not a lot, but I suppose I could live at home for a year, get 2-3 years of experience and then try to clerk or lateral after that if I'm not in love with the practice job/haven't got to 60k+

NEED to decide by MONDAY, non-negotiable (partner/owner is leaving country). Thing is, I've got interviews scheduled with a district court and another firm later this month, and who knows what will pop up in the Spring.

I know people here have advocated accepting offers but continuing to interview and apply in search of better things. That just seems so slimy, but I guess it is reality and likely what I'll have to do. any and all advice/wisdom/encouragement/criticism is welcome

ballouttacontrol
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ballouttacontrol » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:47 pm

Well, its been a stressful time, as some of my posts in this thread over the months may indicate, but I'm finally leaving the Vale.

Got an offer about a month after my CB. The interview had gone so well I had pretty much just stopped applying afterwards. Somewhere in the neighborhood of probably 200-300 applications sent out in all, plus the in-person hustle at OCI and shit. I was just SO, SO, sick of it. Took maybe 5 or 6 CBs after my no-offer to finally get the offer. Very relieving.

AmLaw firm in a secondary market, one of the leaders in the market. Pay is a little bit under $160 but with 401k match and stuff looks like the comp all-in would be pretty close, and the lower COL is nice. I haven't accepted yet because I actually just got a CB interview with a tiny ~5 atty boutique that I haven't ruled out, but I doubt it will be long till I lock it down.

I wouldn't say I did anything special compared to most in here, just sent out bazillions of applications. Personally tailored them all. Tried to show up places face to face and used my networking connections of the past 3 years. One of my connects apparently went to bat for me at the firm, which may have helped.

My school's career office was very helpful, and put me in touch with a few good opportunities, one of which led to a CB interview. I do have a good resume though. I do know they had some sort of a list of us unemployed 3Ls where they'd BCC job postings.

Anyways good luck to everyone still in the hunt. I was in a pretty dark place at times.. had a few habits get a lit out of hand, so I know what it's like..Not sure that this will help anyone, but it's not hopeless!!

ballouttacontrol
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ballouttacontrol » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:HELP

Recently offered a 50K gig at a small firm in my desired loc and in a practice area i an interested in. 50k is not a lot, but I suppose I could live at home for a year, get 2-3 years of experience and then try to clerk or lateral after that if I'm not in love with the practice job/haven't got to 60k+

NEED to decide by MONDAY, non-negotiable (partner/owner is leaving country). Thing is, I've got interviews scheduled with a district court and another firm later this month, and who knows what will pop up in the Spring.

I know people here have advocated accepting offers but continuing to interview and apply in search of better things. That just seems so slimy, but I guess it is reality and likely what I'll have to do. any and all advice/wisdom/encouragement/criticism is welcome


You know the answer bro, take it and, if you're not happy with it, keep looking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273092
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:01 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:HELP

Recently offered a 50K gig at a small firm in my desired loc and in a practice area i an interested in. 50k is not a lot, but I suppose I could live at home for a year, get 2-3 years of experience and then try to clerk or lateral after that if I'm not in love with the practice job/haven't got to 60k+

NEED to decide by MONDAY, non-negotiable (partner/owner is leaving country). Thing is, I've got interviews scheduled with a district court and another firm later this month, and who knows what will pop up in the Spring.

I know people here have advocated accepting offers but continuing to interview and apply in search of better things. That just seems so slimy, but I guess it is reality and likely what I'll have to do. any and all advice/wisdom/encouragement/criticism is welcome


You know the answer bro, take it and, if you're not happy with it, keep looking.


At will employment. You've got a whole semester to hunt and a 50k security net!

ResIpsa305
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:56 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby ResIpsa305 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:11 pm

Just got a callback interview for a small firm here in D.C. It's not much but I really liked the attorneys and the culture in the first interview and the practice area is interesting to me. I think the first interview went well, and I'm guessing there may be talk about salary in the follow-up interview.

Any fellow DC attorneys have an idea (ballpark) of what an entry-level attorney should make in a small, 9 attorney firm in the area? I've done some research, but I'm just not convinced it's accurate. Robert Half Legal's 2016 guide, adjusted for D.C.'s higher cost of living, says the lower end should be around $75,000 in a small firm. That seems high in this market. Thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273092
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:40 am

HELP

Recently offered a 50K gig at a small firm in my desired loc and in a practice area i an interested in. 50k is not a lot, but I suppose I could live at home for a year, get 2-3 years of experience and then try to clerk or lateral after that if I'm not in love with the practice job/haven't got to 60k+

NEED to decide by MONDAY, non-negotiable (partner/owner is leaving country). Thing is, I've got interviews scheduled with a district court and another firm later this month, and who knows what will pop up in the Spring.

I know people here have advocated accepting offers but continuing to interview and apply in search of better things. That just seems so slimy, but I guess it is reality and likely what I'll have to do. any and all advice/wisdom/encouragement/criticism is welcome


It's not slimy at all. Don't kid yourself: if the firm found someone else better, they would drop you in a hot second. You also don't know what will happen: a firm could lose a client or partners could leave. Keep looking.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.