The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:53 pm

I'm a 2015 grad that hasn't been able to find a permanent full-time job. Luckily, I received an interview with the federal government this week. Even though it's just an interview, my spirits have been lifted. I just want to reiterate what's probably been said a thousand times. Reach out to everyone you know even non-lawyers because you never know who they might know. Unfortunately, a lot of jobs aren't obtained by just merit and achievements. Also, usajobs.gov is more of a resume collect than anything. Try to find someone who already works for the agency to forward along your resume. Referrals seem to go a long way.

Just wanted to share my story, thanks.

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:13 am

2015 grad. Licensed attorney. I've had 4 interviews since getting licensed, and still nothing.

I feel so hopeless right now. I feel a combination of envy and anger towards my classmates who found full-time jobs. They're posting (on social media) pictures of themselves out and about at "young professionals" events. Others posted about buying their first home, new car, etc.

Every time someone asks me, "hey, where you working these days" or "hey, how much you making these days," I just get even more irritated. The worst experience thus far was a conversation I had with a former acquaintance from high school--who works as an events coordinator at a legal nonprofit--shamed me for not yet having a full-time job and spoke about how other people she knew that graduated from law school went to big law firms. She then went on to list the names of those law firms. And according to her, the past 2 years of working in the "legal field" gave her "ample" experience with attorneys. To that end, again according to her, she could give me tips on how to improve my resume. I politely declined.

Listen world, I'm trying the best I can. I want to be gainfully employed. I want to be a practicing attorney.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:30 pm

kykiske wrote:2015 grad. Licensed attorney. I've had 4 interviews since getting licensed, and still nothing.

I feel so hopeless right now. I feel a combination of envy and anger towards my classmates who found full-time jobs. They're posting (on social media) pictures of themselves out and about at "young professionals" events. Others posted about buying their first home, new car, etc.

Every time someone asks me, "hey, where you working these days" or "hey, how much you making these days," I just get even more irritated. The worst experience thus far was a conversation I had with a former acquaintance from high school--who works as an events coordinator at a legal nonprofit--shamed me for not yet having a full-time job and spoke about how other people she knew that graduated from law school went to big law firms. She then went on to list the names of those law firms. And according to her, the past 2 years of working in the "legal field" gave her "ample" experience with attorneys. To that end, again according to her, she could give me tips on how to improve my resume. I politely declined.

Listen world, I'm trying the best I can. I want to be gainfully employed. I want to be a practicing attorney.

This is exactly why I try SO HARD to not post shit on social media about the fact that I have a job.

Look, you know this person was a jerk. End of story. Just keep looking and don't let jerks get to you. Eventually you'll get something and the memories of being asked now will go away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:14 am

kykiske wrote:2015 grad. Licensed attorney. I've had 4 interviews since getting licensed, and still nothing.

Good for you for taking the high road. I don't think I would have been polite.

You'll get there OP. 4 interviews since being licensed is great, and shows that you are a worthwhile candidate. Something will click eventually.

Gainfully Unemployed

Postby Gainfully Unemployed » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon from above about the jerb.

Called and left a voicemail. So that amounts to a voicemail and a few emails over the past week and a half or so. I guess it is safe to say I had my offer retracted without an explanation or anything. I don't understand why she could not have sent me a simple phone call or email saying I do not have an offer anymore. Do hiring partners even understand that applicants are people too? All fucking week constantly stressed out waiting for an email or call. Fucking bullshit.

Sometimes I do not even know what the fuck point is of all this shit. Suicidal temptations plague my mind like Darrell Revis on a #4 WR.

Fuck my life.

Did the Anon OP with this problem ever hear back from the partner? The suspense is killing me. This is a horror story if I've ever heard one.

Hang in there, buddy. That's rough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:33 pm

3L. have a job at a local general practice firm 12-15 hours a week, but nothing for after graduation. Struck out on clerkships. There's a (slim) chance I could stay with the firm I'm at, and I've been getting interviews, so I'm still drinking the "3 hiring timeline is different" Kool Aid for now.....

YESTERDAY, I got offered a job as a TA for an undergraduate sociology "criminal justice in America" course next semester. With tuition remission and stipend, it'd pay about 15K. I also think it would be relatively fun, as I only have to attend the lecture and lead 4 small group discussions. (Grading papers/exams will suck but they only have like 2.... I would stay at the firm, possibly cutting my hours at most down to 10-12.

Downside is I could only take about 12 credits.... Call me a geek but I like taking credits, and I've put together an impressive body of courses over the last couple years. (Maybe I'll regret it after this semester....). If I TA, I will no longer be able to take at least 2 classes I was really looking forward to and are related to potential practice areas.

My brain says take the $$ but my heart says you only go to law school once...... :roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:51 pm

3L at lower T14, struck out at 2L OCI, worked in-house in the summer with an F500. Had 4 callbacks at 3L OCI, all failed. I walk around with this big hollow void in my stomach that feels like it's eating my soul and sipping on my sanity between bites. I've been trying so hard to stay positive, to keep applying, to keep a smile on my face, to go out with friends, to keep my mind on my work, but it just gets a little harder every day. It also doesn't get easier when you've just finished a session with your career counselor, and from behind that closed door comes "I just can't figure out why s/he doesn't have a job yet! Such a great resume!" Perhaps I'm just too entitled, although I've been trying to change that about myself. I know I'm not good-looking - maybe a more honest self-assessment would find me to be as outright repulsive as snail snot in person. Either way, I can't help but conclude that I'm the problem.

I found a particularly good turn of phrase from a very good author that more or less describes the way I feel right now. "We're like lobsters slowly boiling to death in a pot of water. We simply don't understand what's happening to us."

Sorry for venting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L at lower T14, struck out at 2L OCI, worked in-house in the summer with an F500. Had 4 callbacks at 3L OCI, all failed. I walk around with this big hollow void in my stomach that feels like it's eating my soul and sipping on my sanity between bites. I've been trying so hard to stay positive, to keep applying, to keep a smile on my face, to go out with friends, to keep my mind on my work, but it just gets a little harder every day. It also doesn't get easier when you've just finished a session with your career counselor, and from behind that closed door comes "I just can't figure out why s/he doesn't have a job yet! Such a great resume!" Perhaps I'm just too entitled, although I've been trying to change that about myself. I know I'm not good-looking - maybe a more honest self-assessment would find me to be as outright repulsive as snail snot in person. Either way, I can't help but conclude that I'm the problem.

I found a particularly good turn of phrase from a very good author that more or less describes the way I feel right now. "We're like lobsters slowly boiling to death in a pot of water. We simply don't understand what's happening to us."

Sorry for venting.

In a similar boat. We'll get there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L at lower T14, struck out at 2L OCI, worked in-house in the summer with an F500. Had 4 callbacks at 3L OCI, all failed. I walk around with this big hollow void in my stomach that feels like it's eating my soul and sipping on my sanity between bites. I've been trying so hard to stay positive, to keep applying, to keep a smile on my face, to go out with friends, to keep my mind on my work, but it just gets a little harder every day. It also doesn't get easier when you've just finished a session with your career counselor, and from behind that closed door comes "I just can't figure out why s/he doesn't have a job yet! Such a great resume!" Perhaps I'm just too entitled, although I've been trying to change that about myself. I know I'm not good-looking - maybe a more honest self-assessment would find me to be as outright repulsive as snail snot in person. Either way, I can't help but conclude that I'm the problem.

Sorry for venting.

Also in a similar boat. I don't know if we will get there or not, but damn it, you are not alone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry for venting.

Also in a similar boat. I don't know if we will get there or not, but damn it, you are not alone.

You'll all get there. May is a long way off and a lot of things can happen between now and then.

I'm at a t-10, an I know of ~3 people who got big law Spring semester/Summer (yes, really); and 2 people got clerkships.

It's not over, keep fighting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Yeah. At least you're not jobless grads like me.

:cry:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry for venting.

I'm here too :( 3L lower t-14 below median *gulp*

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L. have a job at a local general practice firm 12-15 hours a week, but nothing for after graduation. Struck out on clerkships. There's a (slim) chance I could stay with the firm I'm at, and I've been getting interviews, so I'm still drinking the "3 hiring timeline is different" Kool Aid for now.....

YESTERDAY, I got offered a job as a TA for an undergraduate sociology "criminal justice in America" course next semester. With tuition remission and stipend, it'd pay about 15K. I also think it would be relatively fun, as I only have to attend the lecture and lead 4 small group discussions. (Grading papers/exams will suck but they only have like 2.... I would stay at the firm, possibly cutting my hours at most down to 10-12.

Downside is I could only take about 12 credits.... Call me a geek but I like taking credits, and I've put together an impressive body of courses over the last couple years. (Maybe I'll regret it after this semester....). If I TA, I will no longer be able to take at least 2 classes I was really looking forward to and are related to potential practice areas.

My brain says take the $$ but my heart says you only go to law school once...... :roll:

totally take the $$ dude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:55 am

Anybody hear of any movement/interviews on the BigLaw front for 3Ls. It's been radio silence for me since September (OCI), so just checking to see if anyone else has had better luck. Is there usually any hiring during the spring semester?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody hear of any movement/interviews on the BigLaw front for 3Ls. It's been radio silence for me since September (OCI), so just checking to see if anyone else has had better luck. Is there usually any hiring during the spring semester?

One person from my school got King and Spalding in Atlanta right before thanksgiving.

Thompson Hine Cleveland is looking for a public finance associate. And KLG in DC is looking for regulatory.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:00 pm

I've been lurking in this thread for the longest, but I need to vent/share a bit so I decided to post. 2015 grad from a big midwest school. Finished above median with no law review and a JD/MBA. figured it might help so I picked up a foreign language somewhere along the way. My summer internships were pretty good and touched just about every area: federal agency, in-house, and private practice. The firm I summered with after 2L made it clear up front that they had no intention of hiring anyone after graduation, but I needed the job and it paid decently so I took it anyway.

Now it's early December and I'm sitting at home with my parents flat broke and completely discouraged. Partly due to an unforeseen family move in the middle of the summer I live about as far as possible from both 1) the state I took the bar in and 2) the city I actually want to practice in, so the long-distance job hunt has been brutal. Unfortunately I simply can't afford to move out just to look for work. I've gotten a few nibbles here and there but nothing has worked out. About 2 months ago I got an interview for a DREAM job (in-house, city of choice, great company, international travel, etc.) and thought I had killed it. When I didn't get the position it really dealt a blow to my self-esteem. Cried a lot after that. It's really hard to stay positive, especially when I see nearly all of my friends from law school working at good jobs. I'm constantly trying to fight off bitter thoughts of "why them and not me? I did better/have better experience then them" because I KNOW it's not right, but it's tough. I've started snapping at my family and have completely withdrawn from my friends, especially my attorney friends. I just want to work.

Recently I got an offer to interview for another in-house position in the city where I want to live. The pay isn't spectacular but the experience and exposure would be absolutely phenomenal. Here's hoping that somehow this works out, because I don't know how many more disappointments I can take at this point.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been lurking in this thread for the longest, but I need to vent/share a bit so I decided to post. 2015 grad from a big midwest school. Finished above median with no law review and a JD/MBA. figured it might help so I picked up a foreign language somewhere along the way. My summer internships were pretty good and touched just about every area: federal agency, in-house, and private practice. The firm I summered with after 2L made it clear up front that they had no intention of hiring anyone after graduation, but I needed the job and it paid decently so I took it anyway.

Now it's early December and I'm sitting at home with my parents flat broke and completely discouraged. Partly due to an unforeseen family move in the middle of the summer I live about as far as possible from both 1) the state I took the bar in and 2) the city I actually want to practice in, so the long-distance job hunt has been brutal. Unfortunately I simply can't afford to move out just to look for work. I've gotten a few nibbles here and there but nothing has worked out. About 2 months ago I got an interview for a DREAM job (in-house, city of choice, great company, international travel, etc.) and thought I had killed it. When I didn't get the position it really dealt a blow to my self-esteem. Cried a lot after that. It's really hard to stay positive, especially when I see nearly all of my friends from law school working at good jobs. I'm constantly trying to fight off bitter thoughts of "why them and not me? I did better/have better experience then them" because I KNOW it's not right, but it's tough. I've started snapping at my family and have completely withdrawn from my friends, especially my attorney friends. I just want to work.

Recently I got an offer to interview for another in-house position in the city where I want to live. The pay isn't spectacular but the experience and exposure would be absolutely phenomenal. Here's hoping that somehow this works out, because I don't know how many more disappointments I can take at this point.

I don't have a lot of advise but I would say with certainty that not "everyone" or "all your friends" from your law school have good jobs. I bet depending on the school many of them are struggling, either unemployed, PT, or trying to pass the bar. Best of luck and know you're not alone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:52 pm

I GOT AN OFFER!!!!!

SHOULD I ACCEPT?

Tiny plaintifs firm (2 partners and 3 associates) but it is its 40% a practice area I've always been interested in (l & E), 50% a related, super-unique practice area, and 10% small business law/contract litigation. I think the practice is pretty successful, but it is hard to tell. No personally injury. Pay is 55-60K.

On on hand, I just want to the hell out of the veil, and I think this firm would be a good fit, at least in the short term. ON the other hand, the numbers say that there will be other offers/opportunities in the next few months. I've got several strong applications pending and a district court clerkship interview scheduled.

It's so FUCKED that I am even vacillating on this, but then again it is my future and it is only december... I know that if I take it, even if it works out great there will be times when I am busting my ass for my 55-60 that I will stop and think, could have snagged a mid-law offer making 30k more? Could i be a clerk with a big law future?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:52 pm

uggh

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I GOT AN OFFER!!!!!

SHOULD I ACCEPT?

Tiny plaintifs firm (2 partners and 3 associates) but it is its 40% a practice area I've always been interested in (l & E), 50% a related, super-unique practice area, and 10% small business law/contract litigation. I think the practice is pretty successful, but it is hard to tell. No personally injury. Pay is 55-60K.

On on hand, I just want to the hell out of the veil, and I think this firm would be a good fit, at least in the short term. ON the other hand, the numbers say that there will be other offers/opportunities in the next few months. I've got several strong applications pending and a district court clerkship interview scheduled.

It's so FUCKED that I am even vacillating on this, but then again it is my future and it is only december... I know that if I take it, even if it works out great there will be times when I am busting my ass for my 55-60 that I will stop and think, could have snagged a mid-law offer making 30k more? Could i be a clerk with a big law future?

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you should accept. You can always renege if something better pops up.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

SHOULD I ACCEPT?

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

diesel50

Postby diesel50 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:48 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

SHOULD I ACCEPT?

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Guess the renege issue might be for another thread, but fuck it i think you're right. Guess I'll just accept but continue to keep my eyes open #goon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been lurking in this thread for the longest, but I need to vent/share a bit so I decided to post. 2015 grad from a big midwest school. Finished above median with no law review and a JD/MBA. figured it might help so I picked up a foreign language somewhere along the way. My summer internships were pretty good and touched just about every area: federal agency, in-house, and private practice. The firm I summered with after 2L made it clear up front that they had no intention of hiring anyone after graduation, but I needed the job and it paid decently so I took it anyway.

Same anon here, with the same result. Yet another rejection. Although I made it clear that I was willing and able to move as soon as necessary, I was informed that my distance from the job was what killed my chances, and they decided to go with someone who was local instead. I feel like this is becoming a recurring theme, but moving out without a job in hand is simply not an option for me. I have never felt to hopeless, defeated, and low in my life.

Manali

Postby Manali » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:23 pm

IMMIGRATION LEGAL SERVICES COORDINATOR

Philadelphia, PA
ESPERANZA IMMIGRATION LEGAL SERVICES
http://www.esperanza.us/
Date Posted: 11/18/2015
Job Type: ATTORNEY
Schedule Type: Full Time

Practice Areas: General Legal Services, Immigration

Job Description
Esperanza Immigration Legal Services (EILS) seeks an attorney or BIA-accredited representative with immigration law experience to work full-time as an Immigration Legal Services Coordinator in our North Philadelphia office. EILS' mission is to provide direct legal services, advocacy, and community education for underserved immigrants and their families so they have the opportunity to contribute to and participate in American society. EILS serves all immigrants in the Greater Philadelphia area regardless of national origin, but has a unique history of working with the Hispanic community due to its location in the heart of a low-income Latino neighborhood.

Job Description

The Immigration Legal Services Coordinator will prepare a wide range of immigration cases for submission to US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Department of State, Immigration Court and the Board of Immigration Appeals. She/he will represent clients before the USCIS Philadelphia District Office, Immigration Court and Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), including removal proceedings. EILS' primary immigration legal services include Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) applications, Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) self-petitions for victims of domestic violence, U visas for victims of crime, family petitions and naturalization applications. The Immigration Legal Services Coordinatorwill coordinate all aspects of a client's case, including client communication, relevant research, drafting personal statements, preparing immigration forms, writing briefs, drafting court motions and orders, case management, and advocacy with law enforcement and other agencies.

Additionally, the Immigration Legal Services Coordinator will:

Coordinate the provision of outreach and educational workshops for the immigrant community and the public about immigration and immigration law.
Assist in the supervision of volunteers and student interns. Solicit the help of volunteer attorneys, paralegals, and others to assist with the provision of services when necessary.
Collaborate with the Executive Director to prepare timely accurate reports for grant funding requirements.
Assist the Executive Director in related duties as necessary.
Qualifications
Education and Experience

Must have one of the following:

Juris Doctor with bar membership in the United States
Juris Doctor with potential to become licensed within 6 months of hire
Other relevant degree and experience, eligible to become accredited with Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) within 6 months of hire
Qualifications:

Bi-lingual Spanish-English speaker required
Excellent verbal and written communications skills
Strong organizational and time management skills
Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, database management and internet
Those with personal knowledge of the immigrant experience and/or a demonstrated commitment to the immigrant community are encouraged to apply.
Salary
Esperanza offers a comprehensive employee health & wellness benefits program. Salary range is $35K - $37K commensurate with experience. Our office is located at: 4261 North 5th Street Philadelphia, PA 19140.

Language(s): Spanish fluency required

Application Instructions:
To apply, send letter of interest, resume, contact information for
three professional references, and copies of credentials/transcripts to:jobs@esperanza.us and indicate EILS Coordinator in the subject line.

For more information, check us out on the web at: www.esperanza.us/eils

- See more at: https://www.psjd.org/opportunitydetails ... nwQk4.dpuf

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:24 pm

Manali wrote:IMMIGRATION LEGAL SERVICES COORDINATOR

See more at: https://www.psjd.org/opportunitydetails ... nwQk4.dpuf

Everyone should already be checking PSJD. I don't think it's necessary to duplicate an entire job posting like that one on here. If you know of a job that's on the down low or something though, that would be something worth posting here.

Return to “Legal Employment”